Author Topic: WILL NERVE REPAIR BE POSSIBLE?  (Read 5622 times)

Optimistic

• I am class I
Re: WILL NERVER REPAIR BE POSSIBLE?
« Reply #30 on: May 13, 2019, 01:17:05 AM »
Probably temporary. It's important to relax and especially since you're still healing I would do some yoga if you can do it. The body can enlist its natural energies to heal when you're in a relaxed state. I know for example relaxation exercises help tremendously with periodontal issues. I mean to a degree, but a few degrees help may be all you need.

Honestly, I'm pretty sure at the 2 month point the numbness you have is what you're going to have to live with.

Even today I noticed I had a few problems feeling what I was saying because of my numb half of the bottom lip and I'm 2 plus years post op. It f**king sucks. Which is why I'm hoping they do something about it soon!

Here is an accurate chart:

Source: http://nerve.wustl.edu/NerveInjury.pdf
01/10/14 - Last night I spilt spaghetti sauce on my chin for the very first time in my life and cried.

Lazlo

• Private
« Reply #31 on: May 13, 2019, 03:39:04 PM »
well they claim that there are procedures to solve each problem, so why haven't I been offered a nerve graft?

I don't think they actually do repairs on mandibular nerve damage following sugery. At least its never been offered and I've never heard of anyone getting it done.

So what's the deal!?

Optimistic

• I am class I
« Reply #32 on: May 16, 2019, 12:38:49 AM »
well they claim that there are procedures to solve each problem, so why haven't I been offered a nerve graft?

I don't think they actually do repairs on mandibular nerve damage following sugery. At least its never been offered and I've never heard of anyone getting it done.

So what's the deal!?

There is a surgery for paresthesia?
01/10/14 - Last night I spilt spaghetti sauce on my chin for the very first time in my life and cried.

ODog

« Reply #33 on: September 19, 2019, 01:05:32 PM »
Except that you obvious lose feeling with a nerve damage, are there other implications such as paralysed muscles and unable to control parts of the face? Or is it always only lost feeling that is ment by nerve damage?

I was told preop and even post op that any nerve damage would just be a slight annoyance and something “you only notice briefly while shaving.” For me that hasn’t been the case. I have pretty bad stiffness in my lower lip and entire chin. It makes talking strenuous. Any speaking problems I have are fairly undetectable over the phone though, so I believe people only notice in person because my lower lip is stiff and not moving properly.

However, Caminitti confirmed for me that lower lip numbness can present with speech problems similar to Bell’s palsy - trouble with letters where the lips come together: F,V,B,P,M. If you go to pronounce ‘f’ your upper teeth are contacting your lower lip to produce this sound, however if you can’t FEEL your damn upper teeth touching your lower lip you can sometimes botch the sound. Not always. For me it happens when I’m speaking quickly. So I still DO have speech problems.

Mostly though, I’m concerned with this damn STIFFNESS in my lower face. I really hope this improves but I’m 6 months out so I’m probably screwed. Thankfully, I have no neuropathic pain. My chin/ lip just feels FROZEN. I shudder to think how bad this will be in the winter.

So yes Dogmatix, nerve damage can present as much more than just loss of sensation. It won’t be paralysis though, that’s motor nerves, it’s just that nerve damage can cause all kinds of aggravation and inflammation that can restrict movement somewhat.

ODog

« Reply #34 on: September 19, 2019, 01:16:37 PM »
Anyone know how it is determined (if even possible) that the nerve damage was caused by the patient’s simple inability to recover, I.e. nerves are always cut through with a BSSO and so recovery depends on the patient’s recovery, OR if the damage was caused by the surgeon’s cutting the major mandibular nerve?

Doesn’t the surgeon have to “pull back” on the saw before they hit the nerve? This is what I was told by a dental malpractice lawyer. He made it seem like all nerve damage is basically the surgeons fault because he probably overestimates how much bone there is buffering the nerve and accidentally cuts through. FWIW he has successfully sued prominent surgeons for severing this nevre in patients and ruining their lives, so maybe he does know what he’s talking about.

I just want to know if my surgeon made a mistake and severed my mental nerve completely. I just want to be told that.

Like my lower lip and chin shouldn’t be stiff like this. This isn’t typical at all.

ODog

« Reply #35 on: September 19, 2019, 01:21:04 PM »
I think this is what the nerve guys currently use now to try deal with this - AxoGen

https://www.cincinnatijawsurgery.com/success-stories/case-study-nerve-repair-surgery/

But the thing is you have to be treated early, which is likely not gonna happen after jaw surgery for reasons this websites already says. it's just "wait and see", and then it's possibly too late.

Dental malpractice lawyer I consulted says he HATES when surgeons say “wait and see” because there are some therapies out there. But he didn’t elaborate. God this is all so stupid. Some patients recover nerve function very quickly after surgery, if you’re one of those patients who at 1.5 - 2 months still is dealing with massive numbness you should be told of treatment options right away.

kavan

• Global Moderator
« Reply #36 on: September 19, 2019, 06:15:40 PM »
Anyone know how it is determined (if even possible) that the nerve damage was caused by the patient’s simple inability to recover, I.e. nerves are always cut through with a BSSO and so recovery depends on the patient’s recovery, OR if the damage was caused by the surgeon’s cutting the major mandibular nerve?

Doesn’t the surgeon have to “pull back” on the saw before they hit the nerve? This is what I was told by a dental malpractice lawyer. He made it seem like all nerve damage is basically the surgeons fault because he probably overestimates how much bone there is buffering the nerve and accidentally cuts through. FWIW he has successfully sued prominent surgeons for severing this nevre in patients and ruining their lives, so maybe he does know what he’s talking about.

I just want to know if my surgeon made a mistake and severed my mental nerve completely. I just want to be told that.

Like my lower lip and chin shouldn’t be stiff like this. This isn’t typical at all.

No one on here is going to know that. Maybe try seeing a neurologist to give a diagnostic work up to isolate where damage is. Here's a link to nerve repair.  https://www.ofsinstitute.com/services/nerve-repair/  It's just the first one that came up. So, Google around .
Please. No PMs for private advice. Board issues only.

DRIVVEN

• Private
« Reply #37 on: September 22, 2019, 12:31:31 AM »

The single best way to tell if the nerve is severed or compressed is to have an MRN of the nerve. There are only a few places in the country who do it.  Get a referral to John Zuninga in Dallas. Google him, does almost nothing other than facial nerve repair.  Does not believe in an “wait and see” approach!

Post bimax

• Private
« Reply #38 on: October 12, 2019, 01:15:05 PM »