Author Topic: Advanced X-Rays of my face - can someone tell me my problems?  (Read 27909 times)

Kristen

• Private
Re: Advanced X-Rays of my face - can someone tell me my problems?
« Reply #15 on: July 17, 2013, 07:58:20 PM »
That one poster is a real ahole from what I've read.   My advice stay off that site.

MrRochester

« Reply #16 on: July 17, 2013, 07:58:49 PM »
LanzaIsMyHero

lmao seems like a valuable addition to this place

I'm not proud of the things I post there, but I don't think it's fair to judge me based on the horrible things I've written. None of that stuff posted there is meant to be taken seriously and it's just a game of oneupmanship to see who can be the most shocking and anti-social. I have no idea how Sharptoys found that anyway unless he did a reverse image search on google

MrRochester

« Reply #17 on: July 18, 2013, 08:10:41 AM »
Are there any cases of genioplasty where the person looked in your opinion worse afterwards? I've looked on pubmed and read as much as I can from people who've actually had it done, and it seems to have a very high satisfaction rate. Do you know any cases where the person looked like I do?

I can link you to a video of my face in motion if it helps in diagnosing whether I am a good candidate for SG or not.
« Last Edit: July 18, 2013, 08:22:24 AM by MrRochester »

jesterofmalice

« Reply #18 on: July 18, 2013, 09:17:31 AM »
How does your chin look when you smile? I think my jaw and cin are recessed, but when I smile, I think my chin definitely sticks out enough, and I worry a sliding geno would make me look like a Witch!

I've been thinking about jaw surgery for ages now, but it's such a big thing.
If I was still really young, i'd get it done (even if it meant borrowing boat loads of money), but the idea of being
in braces for 2 years at my age is horrid!

I think I have recessed jaws and retroclined teeth. I think i'm probably a fairly good candidate for jaw surgery(I think I also have some sleep and speech issues).
However, like you, i'm mainly concerned about how I look, and I wonder if I could get something like a sliding genioplasy as a next-best-option type thing.

However, when I smile, I think my chin sticks out enough, so I'm not too sure.

From my profile, I feel as though i could benefit from liposuction or something? Even though i'm probably slightly UNDERwieght and have a visible 6 pack!

And sometimes I think I need more 'bulk' (like the  edges of the bone of my chin and jaw need  to be brought down more )

I'm not even sure if such an operation exists, but here's what I mean.

[attachment deleted by admin]

pekay

« Reply #19 on: July 18, 2013, 09:31:38 AM »
jesterofmalice: how old are you? judging by the profile picture you just posted you seem like a good candidate for a genio
Chopsticks > Spoons

MrRochester

« Reply #20 on: July 18, 2013, 09:47:27 AM »
You look pretty good dude. Your nose has some of the same flaws I do though.

My feelings on jaw surgery mirror yours. I'm simply not willing to endure braces at my age (26).

I think I'm going to get SG though. I'm really no expert whatsoever so the only thing I can really tell you is that I relate to you in terms of being unhappy with my appearance.

Here are the pictures of me smiling you said you were curious about. I took them right now once without flash and once with. My chin also appears to look better I believe when smiling than when not smiling.

http://imgur.com/a/0vVi9

MrRochester

« Reply #21 on: July 18, 2013, 09:48:40 AM »
Why do I have -3 karma btw? What have I done to offend exactly? Maybe it's halo effect and people are downvoting me because they don't like my appearance.

jesterofmalice

« Reply #22 on: July 18, 2013, 09:57:33 AM »
jesterofmalice: how old are you? judging by the profile picture you just posted you seem like a good candidate for a genio
Hey
i'm 29
I'd hope so, but I have my concerns :

MrRochester. I actually meant a picture of you smiling from profile type view.
I don't have a decent camera at the moment, but I have this one awful picture which show's
how I think my chin already juts out enough when I smile, so I wonder if I had sliding geno, that would be
even more exaggerated when I smiled.

Not to confuse matters even more, but I also sometimes think that some sort of facelift would help me! (crazy at my age)
I think, due to the lack of underlying support (small recessed jaws?) to teh soft tissue, my face is a little 'shapeless' and 'heavy'

[attachment deleted by admin]

MrRochester

« Reply #23 on: July 18, 2013, 10:31:21 AM »
Oh fudge you're right. Smiling from the side looks awful! I'm too embarrassed to even post the photographic result of this experiment. Weird. I wonder why it looks so much worse to smile from the side than it does to smile from the front.

Kristen

• Private
« Reply #24 on: July 18, 2013, 07:55:37 PM »
You both look good to me as is.

Tiny

• Private
« Reply #25 on: July 20, 2013, 02:00:17 PM »
If you do get a sliding G then I suspect it will increase your sublabial fold, so consider getting a long-term filler like radiesse in the fold to camouflage it.  This is what I had to do after my chin implant (yes, I have one, flame me... :()   Radiesse is a tricky filler to use so if you do get a sliding G and the surgeon doesn't do a lot of fillers then go to one who does.  (I'm now looking at getting a BSSO and keeping the implant rather than BSSO + genio)

From a female perspective I'd say you look pretty good and a sliding G might make you look a little better, but what would really improve things would be stronger mandibular angles which I believe is very tricky to do surgically.  But that's just one opinion, everyone likes different things

AshesAshes

« Reply #26 on: July 21, 2013, 02:31:02 PM »
Your case reminds me a lot of mine.  I had double jaw surgery for 2 recessed jaws and a long, recessed chin.  Initially, I was considering a genioplasty only as many others looked at me like I was crazy for considering the long, painful process of jaw surgery for what seemed to be a "borderline" case.  Now, 6 months out, I'm thrilled with my results and relieved I went this route.  Consider that when the maxilla is recessed, merely bringing the chin forward might cause this recession to appear even more obvious due to the new relative position of the chin. 

Expecially if the proposed genioplasty advancement is 4 mm or greater I would have some concerns.  Genioplasty is really only a masking procedure; most people with recessed chins have an underlying jaw issue.  With a large genioplasty there is a risk of looking unnatural and, as another poster mentioned having a noticeable step-off.

I also read that you have concerns about your nose.  This type of surgery has a huge and typically positive impact on that feature.  Bringing the jaws forward makes the nose appear relatively smaller from the side, with some slight widening from the front and a bit of upturn (about 1 mm for every 3 mm forward maxillary movement).  Many people are very concerned about what impact surgery will have the nose and while it's worth considering, after looking at thousands of cases and experiencing it myself I would say changes are overwhelmingly positive.  Makes sense given that bringing the jaws to their ideal position brings everything into harmony. 

I thought about this decision long and hard though, and it's not my place to tell you what to do.  I just felt compelled to say something because I want you to consider everything.  It is definitely a big decision.   

AshesAshes

« Reply #27 on: July 21, 2013, 02:38:40 PM »
Wow...I just saw on that other thread that you had braces from 12-17 and headgear.  That is exactly what I had -- it worsened the recession of my jaws.  Not surprising we both ended up here!

MrRochester

« Reply #28 on: July 21, 2013, 02:58:39 PM »
Unfortunately I don't have the money for jaw surgery. I would do it if I did. Do you have before and after pictures? Was your face similar to mine beforehand? I guess from your avatar that you're a woman so your aesthetic goals wouldn't be quite the same as mine (I would like to look more masculine). 

I can definitely relate to people thinking I'm crazy. My parents are wealthy and when I asked if they would pay for my jaw surgery, it was like I'd ask if they would finance a trip to the moon.

CK

• Private
« Reply #29 on: July 21, 2013, 03:02:38 PM »
cant believe heargear is still used. for shame. never heard of a positive case involving long-term braces.