Author Topic: Advanced X-Rays of my face - can someone tell me my problems?  (Read 27908 times)

pekay

Re: Advanced X-Rays of my face - can someone tell me my problems?
« Reply #45 on: July 23, 2013, 12:09:50 PM »
Accutane = acne med

MrR: What if you were to stop taking Accutane? would you be a candidate for surgery then?
Chopsticks > Spoons

MrRochester

« Reply #46 on: July 23, 2013, 12:11:46 PM »
Yeah I could stop taking it. I don't even have acne, but just take it so that  have very clear skin as opposed to clear skin. I like the way it makes my skin look so I'm reluctant to stop.

They officially recommend you wait 6-12 months after stopping accutane before having any procedure done though so my plan to have surgery this summer isn't happening.

Sharptoys

• Private
    • The Eric Reyes Law Firm
« Reply #47 on: July 23, 2013, 12:14:21 PM »
Yeah I could stop taking it. I don't even have acne, but just take it so that  have very clear skin as opposed to clear skin. I like the way it makes my skin look so I'm reluctant to stop.

EDIT: In all seriousness, you should probably stop. Isotretinoin is an incredibly toxic treatment, even for severe acne.

MrRochester

« Reply #48 on: July 23, 2013, 12:21:00 PM »

EDIT: In all seriousness, you should probably stop. Isotretinoin is an incredibly toxic treatment, even for severe acne.

What do you find amusing? Do you not think my skin isn't clear or something? I don't have any pimples or blackheads or anything.

There is a difference though between when I'm on Accutane and when I'm not on it. When I take it, I don't get any blackheads on my nose or produce any oil at all. Sometimes when I'm off Accutane, I will also get a pimple on my back. I never get them on my face fortunately.

Sharptoys

• Private
    • The Eric Reyes Law Firm
« Reply #49 on: July 23, 2013, 12:33:32 PM »
What do you find amusing? Do you not think my skin isn't clear or something? I don't have any pimples or blackheads or anything.

Because the cost-benefit ratio for Isotretinoin/Accutane is horrible, even for those with severe acne. If I recall correctly, the original manufacturer pulled it off the shelves because of the number of lawsuits they were losing.

There is a difference though between when I'm on Accutane and when I'm not on it. When I take it, I don't get any blackheads on my nose or produce any oil at all. Sometimes when I'm off Accutane, I will also get a pimple on my back. I never get them on my face fortunately.

I don't doubt that. What I do doubt is whether it's worth using a potential chemotherapy drug to exfoliate your skin.

Tiny

• Private
« Reply #50 on: July 25, 2013, 10:37:00 AM »
Roaccutane is absolutely horrible for your liver.  In the UK docs often won't prescribe more than a 6 month course of it.  You can fix your skin with diet - don't eat any processed foods or foods that aren't natural for humans (SUGAR, GRAINS, SEED OILS).  Fillers and lasers (fraxel) will minimise your acne scars.

Re: changes post-surgery,  I had absolutely no issues adjusting to my face post rhinoplasty/chin implant.  Granted, it wasn't a huge change but the only thoughts that ever crossed my mind were "yup, much better, let's move on" and "hmm a bit swollen".   Maybe because the swelling and therefore the change happens gradually but I never had to readjust at all.  I've basically forgotten my old nose and I'm only 4 month post-op.

It's funny how differently people see you differently than you yourself do.  One of my best friends (female) has what I consider to be great bone structure - strong cheekbones and chin.  However, she thinks her chin is too big and her forehead is manly and prefers mine (which is totally flat and smooth, she has a slight ridge and indent at the brow).

I absolutely hate my round face and small chin but am always told how cute/young/feminine it looks.  But I still don't like it because I'd rather be beautiful than cute.  At the end of the day what you think of your face is so much more important and affects how you feel much more than what others think.  Parents are a particular nightmare as they will never criticise their child and are totally blind to your flaws.  And bfs/gfs/husbands/wives are just as bad!

Your lip discrepancy isn't nearly as bad as mine - looks about 0.5cm, mine is at least double and is the main reason I'm seeking surgery.      If you're not getting jaw surgery but want to do one procedure I would do mandibular angles or wrap-around implants or genioplasty + filler .

A no-cost solution is to shave your beard in a way that makes your mandible angles look sharper.  If you hair is sparse in in place then you can tint the skin with dye.  Personally I use contouring powder around my jawline
Eg -http://4.bp.blogspot.com/-yXd7_vqT_tw/UINRh-3KheI/AAAAAAACWe4/8EsqPw7oxS0/s1600/Hot+Sexy+Arab+Sheikh+Hamdan+bin+Mohammed+bin+Rashid+al+Maktoum+(4).jpg

Tiny

• Private
« Reply #51 on: July 25, 2013, 12:32:26 PM »
Traditionally no, but there's no reason not to.   I put it on all my male models when I do shoots - under cheekbones, around jaw, sides of nose, eye crease, center of cupids bow.  I then highlight browbone, top of cheekbones, center of forehead, cupids bow, and fill in the top outer section of the eyebrows.  On the day-to-day I don't recommend highlighting for guys but contour is easy and not obvious.

The key is NOT to use bronzer or a powder "2 shades darker than your skin tone" as most will advise to but do use a powder the colour of the shadows on your face.  In my case (very fair) that means a purple-grey-brown.  I use a narrow brush that's about 1/4" wide.

If it's for a picture you can put on 2x a much, plus a non-shimmery highlighter.
Generally I recommend you wear a silicone-based primer as men have larger pores and it also makes things stay for longer.

Eyebrow shape is so important for the whole face.  Of course the ideal is almond eyes (higher at outer edges than inner) and eyebrows to match - look at any top model, male or female.  If you've got a very round eye shape and eyebrows that go down rather than up, then pluck those suckers at the bottom outer corner and fill them in on top.  Or get hairstroke cosmetic tattoo - yes even guys, it's more common than you think.

Example -

Here's a good tutorial about contouring. -
http://www.maskcara.com/maskcara/2012/11/10/hac-yourself-flawless/

For men I do a line under the cheekbone and then a line downwards (like this http://s5.postimg.org/peq1ao2p3/mens_hairstyles_fashion_trends_2012_2013_cool_ha.jpg)

If you ever why models have such ridiculously prominent cheekbones in pictures, it's because they add a lot of makeup to already good bone structure.  Kim Kardiashian and J Lo also use loads of contouring  ;)

Lord-of-the-Cartilage

« Reply #52 on: July 25, 2013, 03:07:13 PM »
I've not had any experience with using yogurt as a cleanser so can't comment on that other than to say it seems to be quite a popular method on the internet.
But yes, as you say, lactic acid should certainly be beneficial.

It's great that you wear a hat outside, you should still wear sunscreen though IMO as the rays will ultimately bounce off any object and land on your face.
I'm lucky I don't like tans haha
Harvest, Harvest, Wherever You May Be; I Am the Lord of the Cartilage, Said He.

ExtractionsRuinFaces

« Reply #53 on: July 25, 2013, 03:36:11 PM »
Roaccutane is absolutely horrible for your liver.  In the UK docs often won't prescribe more than a 6 month course of it.  You can fix your skin with diet - don't eat any processed foods or foods that aren't natural for humans (SUGAR, GRAINS, SEED OILS).  Fillers and lasers (fraxel) will minimise your acne scars.

Re: changes post-surgery,  I had absolutely no issues adjusting to my face post rhinoplasty/chin implant.  Granted, it wasn't a huge change but the only thoughts that ever crossed my mind were "yup, much better, let's move on" and "hmm a bit swollen".   Maybe because the swelling and therefore the change happens gradually but I never had to readjust at all.  I've basically forgotten my old nose and I'm only 4 month post-op.

It's funny how differently people see you differently than you yourself do.  One of my best friends (female) has what I consider to be great bone structure - strong cheekbones and chin.  However, she thinks her chin is too big and her forehead is manly and prefers mine (which is totally flat and smooth, she has a slight ridge and indent at the brow).

I absolutely hate my round face and small chin but am always told how cute/young/feminine it looks.  But I still don't like it because I'd rather be beautiful than cute.  At the end of the day what you think of your face is so much more important and affects how you feel much more than what others think.  Parents are a particular nightmare as they will never criticise their child and are totally blind to your flaws.  And bfs/gfs/husbands/wives are just as bad!

Your lip discrepancy isn't nearly as bad as mine - looks about 0.5cm, mine is at least double and is the main reason I'm seeking surgery.      If you're not getting jaw surgery but want to do one procedure I would do mandibular angles or wrap-around implants or genioplasty + filler .

A no-cost solution is to shave your beard in a way that makes your mandible angles look sharper.  If you hair is sparse in in place then you can tint the skin with dye.  Personally I use contouring powder around my jawline
Eg -http://4.bp.blogspot.com/-yXd7_vqT_tw/UINRh-3KheI/AAAAAAACWe4/8EsqPw7oxS0/s1600/Hot+Sexy+Arab+Sheikh+Hamdan+bin+Mohammed+bin+Rashid+al+Maktoum+(4).jpg

What are wrap around implants?

Would filler be able to give a more prominent jawbone at all?

Tiny

• Private
« Reply #54 on: July 25, 2013, 04:01:38 PM »
Unfortunately not, you can't alter your genetic pore size and if they have been stretched then they are unlikely to return to the original size.

Bollocks, course you can!   What you need is Estee Lauder Idealist - that will shrink them right down.  Then use a silicone-based primer (e.g. smashbox or Makeup Forever) and watch them vanish   ;D

Tiny

• Private
« Reply #56 on: July 26, 2013, 04:33:57 AM »
Yoghurt is good as a facewash as it's mildly acidic, like skin.  And is fatty, which cleans and moisturises.  Cream is also good.  Men often need a bit of exfoliation though, too.  Eg. Clarisonic, AHAs, physical exfoliants

Natural products for pores I don't know, I just go for the chemicals  :o  (except parabens which I try to avoid).

Pore strips are only good if you can close the pores afterwards, otherwise they will fill right back up

Tea tree oil is very strong.  It dissolves plastic petri dishes so I wouldn't put it anywhere near my face unless it was diluted and I had a significant acne problem.  It's not recommended for neat use on the skin.

overbiter

« Reply #57 on: July 27, 2013, 04:11:57 AM »

Why don't you post a picture of your face then we can give you an honest appraisal of whether you need surgery or not. You know people here won't be biased like your friends/relations.

Tiny

• Private
« Reply #58 on: July 27, 2013, 04:49:06 AM »
Why don't you post a picture of your face then we can give you an honest appraisal of whether you need surgery or not. You know people here won't be biased like your friends/relations.

I have in the private forum.  I think people are less likely to say you need surgery if you're already reasonably attractive, even if your jaw position is pretty bad

Cmonster

• Private
« Reply #59 on: July 28, 2013, 10:09:18 PM »
Are we talking about pores and clear skin? If yes, two things that really help minimize pore size and keep them  clear- oil cleansing and using salicylic acid toner, this really helps keep them in line in my experience. Definitely primers can help minimize to a degree pore size, but it is mostly genetic.
We have to continually be jumping off cliffs and developing our wings on the way down.