Author Topic: BiMax or BSSO? (picture + xray)  (Read 3236 times)

valhalar

BiMax or BSSO? (picture + xray)
« on: May 25, 2019, 06:58:57 PM »
I have had braces previously and have a Class I occlusion. One surgeon I met briefly did say I could do with some mandible / chin advancement.

I'm hoping a BSSO alone will be able to fix what I am after.

Please note my x-ray may not be the clearest as it was for sinuses.

https://imgur.com/a/IoQrS3D

kavan

• Global Moderator
Re: BiMax or BSSO? (picture + xray)
« Reply #1 on: May 25, 2019, 07:11:52 PM »
You look good as you are. I wouldn't suggest doing any surgery.
Please. No PMs for private advice. Board issues only.

PloskoPlus

« Reply #2 on: May 25, 2019, 07:32:21 PM »
In theory you would look somewhat better with more forward jaws. But if and only if it's a CCW surgery and absolutely everything goes right, and in jaw surgery never does absolutely everything go right. That's why it should only be done when the starting point is quite bad and there's a functional benefit to be had. You don't have functional issues and you don't look deformed. There are models with a profile like yours.

Dogmatix

• Private
« Reply #3 on: May 26, 2019, 05:30:42 AM »
A BSSO only is the one thing we can be sure you can't do. Your bite fit together, any way you move only the mandible will get it wrong. So if you want to do something it would either be a genio, or a full bimax. A genio is a "simple" procedure, compared to a bimax which literally detatches everything and try to put it back in a good way. There are also options like implants etc.

Messing with the bite, if you don't have any indication to do it can start problems. Bitewise you don't have any problems, the other part is airways which also can be meassured. If these are also ok, don't get into full jaw surgery.

valhalar

« Reply #4 on: May 26, 2019, 06:09:02 AM »
That makes sense. Seems as though the only option would be a bimax CCW which probably would do no good anyway since my teeth already sit well when I smile.

Maybe in future I might have a look into a small genio and chin visor to reduce my fold. I do look better with my retainers in which give me some additional face space so maybe building up the back molars with veneers is an option too.

Overall I’m happy I just wanted to be sure I wasn’t making a mistake if I didn’t do a jaw surgery.

A nutty narcissistic Sydney maxfac told me I “needed” 2cm advancement for $80,000 lmao. Apparently I’ll have a series of health issues and sore jaws if I don’t hand over the dollar bills. My bulls**t detector was going off that day. I’m glad I got confirmation of my gut feeling.

Dogmatix

• Private
« Reply #5 on: May 26, 2019, 08:08:24 AM »
a bimax CCW which probably would do no good anyway since my teeth already sit well when I smile.

That really depends on what expectations you have from surgery. Some facial changes are impossible without a full bimax, but that doesn't mean it's recommended to do it. A bimax would not do any good for the bite as it's already good, it would be an aesthetic procedure and as already responded, you should really be bothered or have functional problems to get into it.

A general rule is that if there is a functional problem, don't get into aesthetic and camouflaging procedures, chances are it will catch up to you and you will have to undo and remove it later. And also, if you have no functional or medical problems, don't get into medical procedures and stick to aesthetic procedures.
Medical procedures are risky and if you're already messed up the stakes are lower.

Post bimax

• Private
« Reply #6 on: May 26, 2019, 09:41:50 AM »
IMO you have a great aesthetic already. If anything, you could maybe get a genio or CW for a stronger chin. That’s personal preference though. A 2cm bimax would destroy your face.

GJ

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: May 26, 2019, 09:56:46 AM »
Do nothing.
Millimeters are miles on the face.

Lefortitude

« Reply #8 on: May 26, 2019, 02:07:42 PM »
Do nothing.
Get a gym membership if you want to look better.

ghiggson90

• Private
« Reply #9 on: May 27, 2019, 04:54:11 AM »
Do nothing, please.

valhalar

« Reply #10 on: May 27, 2019, 05:51:47 AM »
 :-X I have decided no surgery is the best option. I was manipulated into thinking I needed a major advancement by some nut case of a surgeon. Stay the hell away from Dr C in Sydney. He's a quack trying to make a buck off of people's ignorance of jaw surgery.

Lefortitude

« Reply #11 on: May 27, 2019, 05:56:33 AM »
:-X I have decided no surgery is the best option. I was manipulated into thinking I needed a major advancement by some nut case of a surgeon. Stay the hell away from Dr C in Sydney. He's a quack trying to make a buck off of people's ignorance of jaw surgery.

Dr. C(oceancig)?

Abdulrahman

« Reply #12 on: May 27, 2019, 10:45:30 AM »
Coceancig?

valhalar

« Reply #13 on: May 27, 2019, 02:59:12 PM »
Yes. He said I ‘NEEDED’ advancement of at least 2cm. I was shocked to say the least because I was actually visiting him at the time to ask about making something symmetrical with peek (which I am not interested in now) and he suddenly told me I needed jaw surgery.

I wonder how many people get talked into these invasive procedures for no reason at all.

kavan

• Global Moderator
« Reply #14 on: May 27, 2019, 03:47:24 PM »
Yes. He said I ‘NEEDED’ advancement of at least 2cm. I was shocked to say the least because I was actually visiting him at the time to ask about making something symmetrical with peek (which I am not interested in now) and he suddenly told me I needed jaw surgery.

I wonder how many people get talked into these invasive procedures for no reason at all.

I would imagine plenty of them because he baits them by showing photos of some of his patients that he starts of when they are KIDS and have a whole series of displacements done by devices over a long course of time where the LAST STAGE of all that is the bimax surgery.  For example, the IMDO which works when someone is in GROWING stage; kids, young adolescents which is usually the first in the series. That can draw in people to consult with him  who are PAST the growth stage and then comes the hard sell scare tactics of trying to get you to buy into what ever employment opportunities for him he can find on someones face.

In fact, when ever someone relays they went to an Australian maxfax (one they DON'T name) and then go on to say that they were told that if they did not have the surgery, they would be looking at health problems down the line and/or anything else where they are made to feel insecure about their appearance or has earmarks of a hard sell, I know who it is.
Please. No PMs for private advice. Board issues only.