Author Topic: Unequal Expansion During SARPE  (Read 1338 times)

eranthe

• Private
Unequal Expansion During SARPE
« on: June 03, 2019, 10:14:28 PM »
Just a quick question ... would the physical placement of a surgically implanted RME impact on the way in which the palate expands?  For example, if the RME was implanted in the palate at an angle, could that lead to unequal stress distribution during the expansion phase, causing the palate to become wider on one side than the other?  I ask as I think this is where my problems began ...
« Last Edit: June 03, 2019, 10:33:09 PM by eranthe »

kavan

• Global Moderator
Re: Unequal Expansion During SARPE
« Reply #1 on: June 04, 2019, 10:32:21 AM »
Just a quick question ... would the physical placement of a surgically implanted RME impact on the way in which the palate expands?  For example, if the RME was implanted in the palate at an angle, could that lead to unequal stress distribution during the expansion phase, causing the palate to become wider on one side than the other?  I ask as I think this is where my problems began ...

I believe I addressed this question before. Reply #5 'Revision revision surgery', June 01 2018 on the part of the forum you have access to. My analysis is still there.

So not if the palate STARTED off as one side wider than the other through midline.

In short, even though the device can expand evenly and also align the opposite teeth along a horizontal line as to improve some pretty significant problems as in narrow palate and opposite teeth not lining up horizontally, it doesn't compensate for one side starting off as wider than the other. Even forces on both sides can't be expected to make both sides symmetrical with each other when one side starts off as WIDER than the other.
Please. No PMs for private advice. Board issues only.

eranthe

• Private
« Reply #2 on: June 14, 2019, 05:35:15 PM »
Kavan ... apologies for the late response.  I've been in and out of hospital and was a bit out of it when I posted that question ... momentarily forgetting about your incredibly detailed analysis of my asymmetric expansion that you posted previously. Thanks so much again for doing that ... it has been really helpful in post-analysis. 

kavan

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: June 14, 2019, 09:21:32 PM »
Kavan ... apologies for the late response.  I've been in and out of hospital and was a bit out of it when I posted that question ... momentarily forgetting about your incredibly detailed analysis of my asymmetric expansion that you posted previously. Thanks so much again for doing that ... it has been really helpful in post-analysis.

Hope you're doing better. Keep us updated.
Please. No PMs for private advice. Board issues only.

DRIVVEN

• Private
« Reply #4 on: June 15, 2019, 09:36:01 PM »

I was considering this procedure to expand my maxilla post jaw surgery (only had lower), and i was advised SARPE can be hard to control and there are many cases of unequal expansion.  Even the rapid palate expansion for adults MARPE can have some of the same problems. It pretty rapid movement. I wonder if there is another way to let the side that is too wide relapse back in (in a controlled way) to help your situation. I hope you are feeling better.