Author Topic: SARPE affect on anterior maxilla (gummy smile?)  (Read 1252 times)

Ember22

SARPE affect on anterior maxilla (gummy smile?)
« on: June 19, 2019, 03:08:04 PM »
Is it common that SARPE procedure causes the maxilla to "Drop"? (as suggested in the slide 2 of the presentation below):

https://www.slideshare.net/proffouda1/surgically-assisted-new-microsoft-power-point-presentation-6

Also, how is forward and downward movement of maxilla possible if the maxilla is only being widened in the transverse plane?

My surgical plans have changed and I'll no longer be having double jaw surgery.  My orthodontist said that with my progress with braces thus far, I have the option to go with SARPE alone, and that a lefort 1/ maxillary advancement will not be neccessary, nor any other movements.

I already have somewhat of a gummy smile though, so I'm wondering how SARPE will affect this- if indeed the maxilla drops my gummy smile would be worsened.

kavan

• Global Moderator
Re: SARPE affect on anterior maxilla (gummy smile?)
« Reply #1 on: June 19, 2019, 06:48:59 PM »
maxilla is a complex bone. what seems to be dropping is a HIGH VAULTED hard palate (part of maxilla). So the roof of the mouth spreads out. That shouldn't have an effect on dropping down the alveolar process; the part one sees in gummy smile.
Please. No PMs for private advice. Board issues only.

Ember22

Re: SARPE affect on anterior maxilla (gummy smile?)
« Reply #2 on: June 20, 2019, 01:34:11 AM »
maxilla is a complex bone. what seems to be dropping is a HIGH VAULTED hard palate (part of maxilla). So the roof of the mouth spreads out. That shouldn't have an effect on dropping down the alveolar process; the part one sees in gummy smile.

Thank you for that clarification.