Author Topic: In serious regret after lower jaw surgery.  (Read 3397 times)

Greek21

In serious regret after lower jaw surgery.
« on: July 07, 2019, 06:10:02 AM »
The story goes as follow.... I'm currently 24 and had lower jaw surgery a month ago. Fundamentally the left side had overgrown and had elongated my mandible in particular the right side and and the overgrowth had caused a shift in the position of my top jaw that the midline has shifted to the left side  and have a cant with the downward slide to the right.  My upper jaw is also backwards (maxillary hypoplasia) .

After seeing 3 surgeons i decided to go with the most convenient one (closer to my parents house) in the netherlands. He is a renowned  proffesor in a good university with many publications on researching. When i met him i literally saw him for 5 minutes he hardly went through the procedure with me and mentioned that only lower jaw surgery is needed and necessary. From my understanding he was more concerned about functions than aesthetics... but like an idiot i trusted him because of his reputation...

Surgery went very well no nerve damage hardly any pain (bsso to take the mandible back) and could eat soft foods in less than 10 days..

Aesthetics on the other hand are getting worse as times goes by. Both jaws are back and due to having a maxillary hypoplasia i look much worse than i used too.... unfortunately the problem was hardly fixed as he did 50% of the job.

I'm just incredibly angry that after 4 years overall with braces that my problem was half fixed.... i don't know what to do....

My breathing has become difficult and I'm  very much out of breath sometimes

Is a second surgery an option after a year in order to take both jaws forward? Is it possible after the mandible was set back to take it forward again? Will i require orthodontics?

If i was to go do a second surgery it would either be at instituo maxillofacial in barcelona or shaping faces with dr heliotis in London.

GJ

• Administrator
Re: In serious regret after lower jaw surgery.
« Reply #1 on: July 07, 2019, 10:01:04 AM »
Are you sure he did the surgery? Many times in an academic setting they have their residents do it under their guidance.
Ask for your records.

Yes, you can have another surgery a year after. Whether it needs braces or not depends on how the bite is to fit after the revision.
Millimeters are miles on the face.

Greek21

« Reply #2 on: July 07, 2019, 10:55:52 AM »
Yes he was the one who made the decision to only do the lower jaw and operated me. He was clearly not bothered at all about aesthetics which is a shame because just from how my recovery went i think he is great surgeon just very conservative.

In the netherlands most of the surgeons are based in hospitals therefore you can't really do anything and due to fact it was convienient, cheap (insurance covered it) .. i made that decision which turned out to be wrong.....

ben from UK

« Reply #3 on: July 07, 2019, 03:33:25 PM »
Yes he was the one who made the decision to only do the lower jaw and operated me. He was clearly not bothered at all about aesthetics which is a shame because just from how my recovery went i think he is great surgeon just very conservative.

In the netherlands most of the surgeons are based in hospitals therefore you can't really do anything and due to fact it was convienient, cheap (insurance covered it) .. i made that decision which turned out to be wrong.....

The Netherlands is one of the most conservative countries when it comes to estethics/cosmetic surgery.

Greek21

« Reply #4 on: July 07, 2019, 03:39:45 PM »
I paid the price....