Author Topic: Lower jaw too far back  (Read 2976 times)

Greek21

Lower jaw too far back
« on: July 10, 2019, 01:50:32 PM »
Is it scientifically possible to reverse a surgery that involved cutting some bone to bring the lower jaw back and advancing it again? It's too far back

Dogmatix

• Private
Re: Lower jaw too far back
« Reply #1 on: July 10, 2019, 02:44:56 PM »
Is it scientifically possible to reverse a surgery that involved cutting some bone to bring the lower jaw back and advancing it again? It's too far back

It depends what you mean by reversing. You can never get the cut undone and get any bone that was removed back. But you can most probably displace it to similar position as before, and if needed use grafting material.

Greek21

« Reply #2 on: July 10, 2019, 02:49:55 PM »
Fundamentally the left side had overgrown and had elongated my mandible in particular the right side and and the overgrowth had caused a shift in the position of my top jaw that the midline has shifted to the left side  and have a cant with the downward slide to the right.  My upper jaw is also backwards (maxillary hypoplasia) . Only lower jaw surgery  was done

I can hardly breath now and have symptoms of sleep apnea. My jaws are too far back. Could i get the lower jaw to the postion it was? Similair position but somewhat less you mean?

Dogmatix

• Private
« Reply #3 on: July 10, 2019, 02:57:12 PM »
The fundamental thing to understand is that "same as before" is never possible. There has been a cut and potentially something has been removed or added. It can probably be reconstructed or displaced to function and look similar as before.

Greek21

« Reply #4 on: July 10, 2019, 03:23:07 PM »
And that's normally by a bone graft? So most like likely bone graft will be used to advance my jaw?

PloskoPlus

« Reply #5 on: July 10, 2019, 03:34:39 PM »
See top surgeons like Wolford and Alfaro. It seems like you have little choice but revise. What did your surgeon say about your breathing difficulties?

Dogmatix

• Private
« Reply #6 on: July 10, 2019, 03:40:43 PM »
And that's normally by a bone graft? So most like likely bone graft will be used to advance my jaw?

Sorry, I can not help you, as you want to be helped. You description of your case is way too vague to understand what's going on. You need consistent photos and x-rays for anyone to be able to comprehend the situation.

kavan

• Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: July 10, 2019, 06:36:19 PM »
It's called 'revision surgery'.
Please. No PMs for private advice. Board issues only.