Author Topic: Great Publication on Virtual 3D Surgical Planning  (Read 3088 times)

Lefortitude

Great Publication on Virtual 3D Surgical Planning
« on: August 26, 2019, 06:18:45 AM »
https://www.semortho.com/article/S1073-8746(19)30046-5/fulltext

ABSTRACT:

"Virtual three dimensional (3D) facial diagnosis and treatment planning has the potential to improve outcomes for orthognathic surgery patients. It is necessary to appreciate the inadequacies of traditional two dimensional treatment planning and how that may adversely affect the virtual 3D treatment planning process. Virtual 3D planning greatly improves the clinician's ability to diagnose and treat facial form and position problems that prevent the patient from accomplishing the three Functional Facial Keys (eating, breathing and communicating). It also enhances facial-skeletal orientation, maxillary and mandibular positioning, correction of asymmetries and occlusal plane management. This article presents a systematic approach to treat functional facial problems using virtual 3D treatment planning for consistent esthetic facial results."

april

• Private
Re: Great Publication on Virtual 3D Surgical Planning
« Reply #1 on: September 06, 2019, 04:56:48 AM »

Figure 12 - A stereolithographic model based on the proposed movements of the upper jaw was adapted to the surfaces of the patient's teeth and alveolar bone. The change in the upper lip was minor and so the decision was made to advance the upper jaw further than planned.

This is pretty cool, like trying your surgery on for size.

ben from UK

« Reply #2 on: September 10, 2019, 03:01:29 PM »
Precision is going to be more and more important the coming decades. For a long time, precision in surgery was less of a concern for surgeons, especially in the 80s: big boops, overdone nosejobs etc. But the standards from patients have changed and the techniques are changing. The Milennium generation demands precision and a natural looking face. A new generation of surgeons might be more precise because of different schooleducation, using more precise tools and techniques. The knowledge of beauty and what constitutes beauty has expanded drastically these past years. Ten years ago, only a few surgeons knew about canthal tilt etc., now the knowledge is on the net and everyone can look it up. Also, having an angular and masculine jaw was not a popular procedure 15 years ago, few people knew about it and beauty was somekind of a mistery and taboo at the same time. Now, lots of people know how important it is and that it's one of the basics of male beauty. The expanding mass knowledge about facial beauty these past five years is comparable to the discovery of gravitation imo.

I'm not an incel, but I thank the incel community for bringing this knowledge to the forefront. They receive not enough credits for doing what they did. They were the first ones to openly talk about it and taking it to the forefront. Their hate towards women is not my thing, but there are many serious discussions about beauty that add alot of knowledge. Also, don't forget that beauty = bones is like the discovery of the subconcious by Freud. Very few people, ten years ago, knew that the most ugly and scary thing in the human body, the skeleton, was what constitutes beauty. It's really a revolutionary way of thinking. And from there, it's another step, when you know what the problem is (bones), to solve the problem: add more or reduce bones. A revolution in the way of thinking about beauty.

Lazlo

• Private
« Reply #3 on: September 10, 2019, 07:44:39 PM »
this looks amazing. so which surgeons are currently using it?

Lefortitude

« Reply #4 on: September 16, 2019, 06:59:08 PM »
this looks amazing. so which surgeons are currently using it?

I imagine the group of surgeons who train under A&G and attend their lectures/forums

jawzmcgee

« Reply #5 on: July 28, 2020, 12:07:04 PM »
As an anecdote, this is used by Kaiser. My Dr. told me he would be using it and even showed me other patients' plans.