Author Topic: Genioplasty - yes or no?  (Read 7015 times)

PloskoPlus

Re: Genioplasty - yes or no?
« Reply #90 on: September 30, 2019, 03:29:27 AM »
I think her result is decent, except for the chin. She should’ve had a bsso instead. Changes to the nose are often unavoidable - all that tissue has to go *somewhere* after impaction or advancement.

kavan

• Global Moderator
« Reply #91 on: September 30, 2019, 08:53:38 AM »
Funny how nobody objected on other threads where everyone was going on and on about how jaw surgery and implants made some guys' faces less attractive than before, illustrated with real people's photos. Maybe it's because most posters there were male, it's ok for them to say another guy looks worse after surgery, but if I point out that a woman looks objectively worse, then I'm the problem and don't understand the 'complexity' of the surgery etc.? OK, I will drop it and keep my opinion to myself from now on.

I had no objections about the photo being used as example and being critiqued. Just to let you know, my point about your reactions had nothing to do with the gal in the photo reading them. Just that they were a strong signal against surgery. I would suggest that, on your next consults with doctors, you SHARE the patient's photos and your reactions to her outcome as in HOW you described your feelings to it such as 'horrified', 'ruined for life' and other such responses. It helps the doctor make a call on your candidacy for surgery. Basically, when you consult with doctors, they're looking at your face and what they can do with it. They need to take a closer look at what your potential reactions would be if you were not happy with the outcome. It's important for a mutual decision for patient AND doctor.
Please. No PMs for private advice. Board issues only.

Dogmatix

• Private
« Reply #92 on: September 30, 2019, 09:17:03 AM »
I think her result is decent, except for the chin. She should’ve had a bsso instead. Changes to the nose are often unavoidable - all that tissue has to go *somewhere* after impaction or advancement.

A bsso and genio are not equivalet so you can change between them. Doing a bsso would alter the bite.

kavan

• Global Moderator
« Reply #93 on: September 30, 2019, 10:17:00 AM »
A bsso and genio are not equivalet so you can change between them. Doing a bsso would alter the bite.

Multi-variable equation based on what one wants the solution to be.

chin only solution + 'bite right' =  Fewer variables. easier equation to solve.

BSSO solution + 'bite right' =  More variables. harder equation to solve.

Concept: Complex multi-variable equations don't necessarily preclude solutions to them.

InvisalignOnly

« Reply #94 on: September 30, 2019, 10:18:32 AM »
I had no objections about the photo being used as example and being critiqued. Just to let you know, my point about your reactions had nothing to do with the gal in the photo reading them. Just that they were a strong signal against surgery. I would suggest that, on your next consults with doctors, you SHARE the patient's photos and your reactions to her outcome as in HOW you described your feelings to it such as 'horrified', 'ruined for life' and other such responses. It helps the doctor make a call on your candidacy for surgery. Basically, when you consult with doctors, they're looking at your face and what they can do with it. They need to take a closer look at what your potential reactions would be if you were not happy with the outcome. It's important for a mutual decision for patient AND doctor.

I totally agree! In fact, even before I saw your post, I printed those before-after photos and decided to tell any potential surgeons that personally, if I had a result like that, I would be extremely upset. Beauty is subjective, maybe others including this girl herself would be OK or even happy with this, who knows. I would not be happy, and since my starting point is quite similar to hers, I have to think long and hard before I do anything, given how I feel about this particular outcome. I'm still not ruling out surgery though - most before-afters I have seen did look better to me in the after, but some of them looked worse, so I have to talk all this through with the doctor before making any final decisions.

For the record, I think the girl in the photos was very pretty before the surgery and still pretty after, my point was not trying to criticise her or her looks in any ways, was just pointing out that the surgeon could have done better. For example, I feel that the orthodontist that straightened my teeth several years ago did an OK job but not great, especially seeing that my lower teeth are severely projected forward. Some orthos that saw that recently told me things like, 'oh my God your lower teeth are really sticking out, what on Earth happened here' etc. I am not taking this personally, I did not choose to have teeth like this, no idea why the original ortho did not fix this or whatever. It is the way my teeth are now and that's that, I don't get upset if someone points it out.

kavan

• Global Moderator
« Reply #95 on: September 30, 2019, 10:23:26 AM »
I totally agree! In fact, even before I saw your post, I printed those before-after photos and decided to tell any potential surgeons that personally, if I had a result like that, I would be extremely upset. Beauty is subjective, maybe others including this girl herself would be OK or even happy with this, who knows. I would not be happy, and since my starting point is quite similar to hers, I have to think long and hard before I do anything, given how I feel about this particular outcome. I'm still not ruling out surgery though - most before-afters I have seen did look better to me in the after, but some of them looked worse, so I have to talk all this through with the doctor before making any final decisions.

For the record, I think the girl in the photos was very pretty before the surgery and still pretty after, my point was not trying to criticise her or her looks in any ways, was just pointing out that the surgeon could have done better. For example, I feel that the orthodontist that straightened my teeth several years ago did an OK job but not great, especially seeing that my lower teeth are severely projected forward. Some orthos that saw that recently told me things like, 'oh my God your lower teeth are really sticking out, what on Earth happened here' etc. I am not taking this personally, I did not choose to have teeth like this, no idea why the original ortho did not fix this or whatever. It is the way my teeth are now and that's that, I don't get upset if someone points it out.

Glad to hear that. It will help in decision making process since it is mutual one between doctor and patient.

Dogmatix

• Private
« Reply #96 on: September 30, 2019, 10:32:34 AM »
Multi-variable equation based on what one wants the solution to be.

chin only solution + 'bite right' =  Fewer variables. easier equation to solve.

BSSO solution + 'bite right' =  More variables. harder equation to solve.

Concept: Complex multi-variable equations don't necessarily preclude solutions to them.

Yes. Just ment to clarify that having a bsso would imply displacing the maxilla in another way as well, but that's maybe obvious and what was implied by having a bsso instead.