Author Topic: Jaw surgery: is it worth it without the esthetic component?  (Read 5514 times)

kavan

• Global Moderator
Re: Jaw surgery: is it worth it without the esthetic component?
« Reply #30 on: October 22, 2019, 02:12:46 PM »
There was a post on the facebook group where someone wrote how her surgeon warned her she might look like a 'monkey', and everyone in the group was completely outraged, like how dare this surgeon say she will look like a monkey! He was unapologetically honest though. Obviously he couldn't do CCW to avoid it, lol but at least he warned her.

Do you think a 3d/VSP soft tissue mask would show a chimp lip, if it were going to happen?
I really want to avoid that at all costs. I don't trust 2d plans to show it.

Well, with a significant maxilla advancement, a surgeon CAN predict the chimp lip even without high tech software. Chimp lip is consistent with linear advancement cases where for the mandible to go 'forward' enough or a lot, so does the maxilla, usually cases where mandibular displacements are prioritized either for airway issues or just significant retrusion. Cases where what happens to the maxilla profile component (nose base, upper lip area) would be considered a trade off (negative aesthetic one) in exchange for the wanted/needed mandibular displacement.

With CCW (posterior downgraft), the whole mandible kind of gets a 'free ride' and the 'advancement train' even before they do the BSSO. So, maxilla advancement is minimized and mandible advancement maximized.

Since there does seem to be a correlation between docs who DO CCW (posterior downgraft) and who do so to avoid using linear advancement WHEN it might have negative aesthetic consequences (to avoid chimp lip), I would suggest consulting with those types.

The 2D diagrams, at least ones I've seen out of Gunson's office that show the planned contours of the profile which DO have a focus on the lip contour, seem ok to me. Those are Nemo FAB Arnett analysis type. But other docs use similar and I guess adjust according to their own aesthetic preferences.
Please. No PMs for private advice. Board issues only.

PloskoPlus

« Reply #31 on: October 23, 2019, 02:34:44 AM »
That's the thing with the Facebook groups, at least the one I'm in. It's full of these women that seem to have no idea what is the surgeon planning to do to their faces but they are all so convinced jaw surgery will make them look great and keep trying to convince each other of the same. If anybody questions anything or mentions anything that went wrong or could go wrong, they get upset and dismissive. That's my experience with the group anyway.
And they all say "my surgeon is the best!"

InvisalignOnly

« Reply #32 on: October 23, 2019, 02:47:34 AM »
And they all say "my surgeon is the best!"

So true lol. I posted a question there to enquire about a surgeon that was recommended to me, could not find any information about him online beyond his qualifications. I got a response saying he appeared in a TV show, so he must be a great surgeon :))). True story. I checked and he did indeed take part in a TV show that dealt with plastic surgery, but I kind of fail to see how this makes him a great candidate to operate on my jaws. Anyway, this seems to be typical of the way they think.

wigglewiggle

« Reply #33 on: October 25, 2019, 10:47:43 AM »
So true lol. I posted a question there to enquire about a surgeon that was recommended to me, could not find any information about him online beyond his qualifications. I got a response saying he appeared in a TV show, so he must be a great surgeon :))). True story. I checked and he did indeed take part in a TV show that dealt with plastic surgery, but I kind of fail to see how this makes him a great candidate to operate on my jaws. Anyway, this seems to be typical of the way they think.
Care to PM me the group? I'm looking for more info on surgeons (albeit it'd be from a biased group) Thanks : )

InvisalignOnly

« Reply #34 on: October 25, 2019, 11:03:37 AM »
Care to PM me the group? I'm looking for more info on surgeons (albeit it'd be from a biased group) Thanks : )

PMd you

biterelapse

« Reply #35 on: October 27, 2019, 04:08:30 PM »
https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC4990372/

Interesting article that talks about how sometimes, joint disorders and trauma to the max-mand complex (that happens during surgery) can actually cause further opening of the bite as well as mandibular retrusion - which in turn can mess up the condyles and joint even more.

"condylar resorption causes morphologic breakdown of the TMJs and a subsequent decrease in ramus height, which results in progressive mandibular retrusion with anterior open bite. This malocclusion is called “acquired open bite associated with TMJ osteoarthritis”26."

"While the TMJ osteoarthritis can produce relatively minor open bite changes fairly slowly, the “idiopathic condylar resorption”, a condition that preferentially affects women, and is influenced by hormonal changes and external triggers, such as orthognathic surgery or other traumas7, is, in comparison, much more aggressive and can lead to severe open bite in a relatively short time"
« Last Edit: October 27, 2019, 04:23:31 PM by biterelapse »