Author Topic: Thyroid Cancer  (Read 2609 times)

GJ

• Administrator
Thyroid Cancer
« on: December 21, 2019, 03:55:31 PM »
A jaw buddy of mine who had revision and many scans has been diagnosed with thyroid cancer.
Heads up regarding scans, etc.
Millimeters are miles on the face.

Post bimax

• Private
Re: Thyroid Cancer
« Reply #1 on: December 21, 2019, 04:11:11 PM »
Damn, that’s awful.

At my last physical my GP said my thyroid hormone levels were below the reference range and to come back in 6 months to check again..

april

• Private
« Reply #2 on: December 21, 2019, 04:16:28 PM »
Jesus. I've had so many scans it's really scary. I think there's some collar thing you can ask for to protect your thyroid area, but I always forget to ask for it. They ought to make it standard protocol.

ArtVandelay

• Private
« Reply #3 on: December 23, 2019, 04:23:39 PM »
https://www.planmeca.com/globalassets/planmeca/usaintranet/radiation/effective_doses_planmeca_xray_0413.pdf

The max number there for any scan is 128 micro-sieverts a scan, a panoramic is 15. In the US your average daily background radiation is about 10 micro-sieverts a day. So we're talking roughly 10x extra per scan here?

Post bimax

• Private
« Reply #4 on: December 24, 2019, 09:48:54 AM »
https://www.planmeca.com/globalassets/planmeca/usaintranet/radiation/effective_doses_planmeca_xray_0413.pdf

The max number there for any scan is 128 micro-sieverts a scan, a panoramic is 15. In the US your average daily background radiation is about 10 micro-sieverts a day. So we're talking roughly 10x extra per scan here?

It could be that concentrated doses of radiation activate reactions at the cellular level that mere long term exposure will not. Kind of like how you can’t fry an egg even if you leave it out in the sun for week whereas you can cook it in a pan in minutes.

Gadwins

• Private
« Reply #5 on: December 24, 2019, 11:45:34 AM »
X-Ray scans are just russian roulette. It is legtime to imagine radiation like a particle (also like waves, both models are legitim, see wave-particle duality). To get cancer it is necessary that this particle hits your cell in a certain way, such the cell will malfunction. The intensities of x-rays are just the amount of this particles.

There is not really a difference between radiation at medical scans and the background radiation. This is just an extra opportunity to get cancer.

Also remember, if you get older, the chance to get cancer by radiation is less, because your cell division slows down.