Author Topic: A legit bad outcome  (Read 5120 times)

tightchinlip

A legit bad outcome
« on: January 04, 2020, 02:48:23 AM »
I know some people post that they are unhappy with their outcomes but then when they share their photos, it's almost always an improvement from before. Here are my before and afters. I was totally botched. I think I'm the worst case I've ever seen. On top of this, and more distressing, I have terrible nerve damage that causes extreme pain when I talk. I've been depressed for 3 years now. I'm not even sure why I'm posting this, but meh.

Dogmatix

• Private
Re: A legit bad outcome
« Reply #1 on: January 04, 2020, 08:41:06 AM »
I would say the photos are not very consistent to compare. You seem to look down more in the after photo, which induce more recession than the head posture in the before picture.

It seems like you had some concavity in your profile before that was resolved, and the labiomental fold seems to be a bit stretched, maybe from advancement. You also dont post any pictures from your bite, and maybe your bite was resolved?

Any way, yes I understand your point, you could have a larger advancement aesthetically.

GJ

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: January 04, 2020, 08:52:43 AM »
The chin looks like it was rotated clockwise. Was this lower jaw only? I ask because your nose and lip angle don't appear to have changed at all. I actually think you look more masculine before surgery and more feminine after, though also more recessed.
Millimeters are miles on the face.

ben from UK

« Reply #3 on: January 04, 2020, 04:17:50 PM »
This is all fixable with a good surgeon if you have the willpower (and money). I understand you being depressed, and I feel sorry for that, but staying depressed and doing nothing is not the answer.

DRIVVEN

• Private
« Reply #4 on: January 04, 2020, 04:47:12 PM »
I know some people post that they are unhappy with their outcomes but then when they share their photos, it's almost always an improvement from before. Here are my before and afters. I was totally botched. I think I'm the worst case I've ever seen. On top of this, and more distressing, I have terrible nerve damage that causes extreme pain when I talk. I've been depressed for 3 years now. I'm not even sure why I'm posting this, but meh.

So was your lower jaw set back?  If so i dont understand.  Do you have a surgical plan or CBCTS you could post?

notrain

• Private
« Reply #5 on: January 05, 2020, 01:01:28 AM »
It looks like excessive clockwise rotation to treat an Angle Class II div 2 patient.

I'm also a bit distressed of the dismissive attitude ("meh, easily fixable with another surgery") of some members.
For someone who already did this once, it is extremely hard to go through the entire process again.

Not only financially (in most of these cases the braces are already off and would need to come on again which adds considerable cost alone) but also psychologically.
Revision surgeries are way riskier than primary surgeries as well, especially if the patient already has nerve damage.

Surgeons should really get this right the first time.

Lazlo

• Private
« Reply #6 on: January 05, 2020, 03:30:40 AM »
It looks like excessive clockwise rotation to treat an Angle Class II div 2 patient.

I'm also a bit distressed of the dismissive attitude ("meh, easily fixable with another surgery") of some members.
For someone who already did this once, it is extremely hard to go through the entire process again.

Not only financially (in most of these cases the braces are already off and would need to come on again which adds considerable cost alone) but also psychologically.
Revision surgeries are way riskier than primary surgeries as well, especially if the patient already has nerve damage.

Surgeons should really get this right the first time.

well said, the finances and physical strains are nothing compared to the psychological trauma and load of having to go through this again. It's appalling.

tightchinlip

« Reply #7 on: January 05, 2020, 03:36:36 AM »
I have no idea what happened. Surgeon brought my lower jaw forward and then moved my chin back. I agree there must have been some rotation. I could probably come to terms with looking so much worse, but the nerve pain is unbearable at times. My main issue is when I speak, the mentalis muscles and lip muscle on the right feel so unbelievably tight and stiff. I literally dread talking and its been very isolating. I'm forever envious of the people that get numbness and "don't even feel it". The stiffness and pulling sensation I feel is life-altering. It's been hypothesized by neurologists that I have damage to my motor nerves

A bit about my surgeon. I legitimately think he is the devil. He has an unbelievable God complex and is the most unethical human being ever. I thought I was just having a hard recovery and then one day out of the blue he cancelled all of our follow up appointments. He said I'm unhappy about my outcome because I've gained weight...while I was on a liquid diet. I called the hospital and they told me his clinical notes said I was thrilled with the outcome. How unbelievable.

Post bimax

• Private
« Reply #8 on: January 05, 2020, 06:48:10 AM »
I have no idea what happened. Surgeon brought my lower jaw forward and then moved my chin back. I agree there must have been some rotation. I could probably come to terms with looking so much worse, but the nerve pain is unbearable at times. My main issue is when I speak, the mentalis muscles and lip muscle on the right feel so unbelievably tight and stiff. I literally dread talking and its been very isolating. I'm forever envious of the people that get numbness and "don't even feel it". The stiffness and pulling sensation I feel is life-altering. It's been hypothesized by neurologists that I have damage to my motor nerves

A bit about my surgeon. I legitimately think he is the devil. He has an unbelievable God complex and is the most unethical human being ever. I thought I was just having a hard recovery and then one day out of the blue he cancelled all of our follow up appointments. He said I'm unhappy about my outcome because I've gained weight...while I was on a liquid diet. I called the hospital and they told me his clinical notes said I was thrilled with the outcome. How unbelievable.

There is another user on here by the name of ODog who also suffers from tightness in the chin/lip post jaw surgery and genio. He said it’s bad enough that he sometimes sounds as though he has a speech impediment. Apparently some doctor named Richardson in India is confident he can solve the issue. He posited it may be some kind of entrapment of the mentalis muscle. I’m not sure if he went through with the operation because he hasn’t posted for a while

GJ

• Administrator
« Reply #9 on: January 05, 2020, 07:54:15 AM »

Who is he?
Millimeters are miles on the face.

tightchinlip

« Reply #10 on: January 05, 2020, 01:27:25 PM »
There is another user on here by the name of ODog who also suffers from tightness in the chin/lip post jaw surgery and genio. He said it’s bad enough that he sometimes sounds as though he has a speech impediment. Apparently some doctor named Richardson in India is confident he can solve the issue. He posited it may be some kind of entrapment of the mentalis muscle. I’m not sure if he went through with the operation because he hasn’t posted for a while

I've spoken to ODog and I was the one who actually introduced him to Dr. Richardson. We haven't been in contact for a while, I think he just wants to forget about it, which is understandable. I think my issue is extensive nerve damage and we all feel it differently - some people can ignore it, some people feel constant burning, some people feel this dreaded tightness and some even get trigeminal neuralgia, constant suicidal pain. I don't think there is a way to predict the type or extent of nerve damage and how we personally feel it.

Pipilika

« Reply #11 on: June 11, 2020, 01:00:04 AM »
hello ,where have you undergone the surgery?

XXRyanXXL

« Reply #12 on: June 26, 2020, 02:06:49 PM »
OP,

Did you see the VSP prior to surgery or did the surgeon have a detailed planout he was going to perform so you were aware of what he was going to do? I know some surgeons will not let the patients see the VSP (virtual surgical planning) but will instead have the surgical molds (in a vice grip) to show what they will do.
That planout should have given you a realistic projection of the outcome. I would first call the hospital and make sure you get your complete record, including pre and post-op consults. I believe this surgery fell below the minimum standards of care, maybe you should follow up with a complaint to the medical board?