Author Topic: Could jaw surgery accelerate aging?  (Read 944 times)

Notctr

Could jaw surgery accelerate aging?
« on: January 08, 2020, 02:04:30 PM »
I was reading an article about cosmetic surgery and this struck me up:

"If you cut through healthy tissue and blood vessels and detach the dermis from the underlying muscle, you inevitably create scar tissue and reduce effective circulation. Smaller blood vessels will soon grow, but they won't be as effective as the larger vessels that used to supply the skin with the blood and nutrients it needs."

So I'm wondering if having jaw surgery could accelerate the aging process because of this. :(

DoubleJawSaveMePlz

Re: Could jaw surgery accelerate aging?
« Reply #1 on: January 08, 2020, 03:50:50 PM »
Looksmax.

There’s always a trade off. Pros outweigh the cons if the surgery has good results.

GJ

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: January 08, 2020, 04:01:01 PM »

"If you cut through healthy tissue and blood vessels and detach the dermis from the underlying muscle, you inevitably create scar tissue and reduce effective circulation. Smaller blood vessels will soon grow, but they won't be as effective as the larger vessels that used to supply the skin with the blood and nutrients it needs."

So I'm wondering if having jaw surgery could accelerate the aging process because of this. :(

I doubt anyone will notice aging in the lower or upper gums, which is where the cuts are.
Aging can happen, and it can be radical, but it's usually due to either becoming more masculine looking (loosing boyish look of recession) or over impaction.
Millimeters are miles on the face.

Notctr

« Reply #3 on: January 08, 2020, 04:47:22 PM »
Looksmax.

There’s always a trade off. Pros outweigh the cons if the surgery has good results.

But if the results aren't long lasting because you'll have muscles, fat pads and skin sagging earlier than you're supposed to, it's not such a good trade off. I don't know if there are studies or anecdotal evidence about this?

ben from UK

« Reply #4 on: January 08, 2020, 05:52:17 PM »
Ageing is mostly a genetic thing I think. Some people age fast, some people stay young until 40, some people stay young until the age of 35 and then age very fast. Also, different features can add to ageing. For example ageing hair, ageing skin, grey hair, nose getting longer, sagging skin, wrinkles, balding etc. So someone can look older due to grey hair but have great skin at the age of 38. (or the inverse). Of course there are cases when procedures made someone look older. But if you're below 30 I don't think one should worry about it.

DRIVVEN

• Private
« Reply #5 on: January 09, 2020, 09:58:15 PM »

Just thinking out loud.... its probably true.  It would be very interesting to see long term studies on how jaw surgery can accelerate the aging process.  Its major trauma to the face. If you get cosmetic enhancements, there would probably be a delay in the physical signs of accelerated aging. For example, if you get a bunch of HA paste in your jaw and your cheeks, that stuff disappears and when it does, you will need different procedures.  I have seen people having repeated procedures. No question that i looked 20 years younger before i had jaw surgery gone wrong. People think my before pictures are from 20 years ago.  It also depends on the procedure and why you had jaw surgery.  If you had severe sleep apnea and the surgery cures the apnea, you get more oxygen all through your body and have better circulation, bones and brain cells.   I think the older you are the more likely to accelerate the aging process because its already on its way!

jusken

• Private
« Reply #6 on: January 12, 2020, 01:14:05 PM »
From what I've seen of jaw surgery, the most obvious 'aging' happens because sometimes the advancement causes any hollowness in the eye area to become more pronounced.  I seriously doubt the incisions are causing anyone to look years younger in the before alone.