Author Topic: Jaw implants: what to do?  (Read 1083 times)

PatrickJL

• Private
Jaw implants: what to do?
« on: January 14, 2020, 11:11:29 AM »
Hi everyone, I'm planning a surgery with doc Tito Marianetti (I'm Italian) and I'll do a revision rhinoplasty, chin wing, scar removal (chin), and jaw implant. Actually I'm not totally persuaded about jaw implant cause the surgeon told me even if custom made prothesys in PEEK are quietly safe, there is a little possibility of infection. So, I've to choose between filler and PEEK implant but I've not experience and I don't know what to choose. Do you know if the risk of infection is real or only  theoretical? Thank you very much to each one would help me.

Ps. I really want to upload my photos but I care my privacy and I don't know if there are users from my city. Is there any method to lock my photos with password or something safe?

ben from UK

Re: Jaw implants: what to do?
« Reply #1 on: January 14, 2020, 01:16:18 PM »
I think alot of information about infection in general and PEEK infection isn't available online. PEEK is a relatively new material when it comes to facial implants. I think there might be different levels of infection, but I'm not sure. There's always a risk of infection but the risk is quite small I think (maybe like 10 percent). Also, some infections probably can be treated. I just hear different opinions from surgeons. Some say it's not a big deal and can be treated with antibiotics, others say there needs to be immediate removal. Conflicting messages.

PatrickJL

• Private
« Reply #2 on: January 15, 2020, 02:03:36 AM »
At first, I wanna really thank you for the answer. The most important think is to understand if it worth it to risk this kind of surgery. Obviously I must consider the improvement from the estetical point of view, since I've to put only one jaw implant to symmetrize my face. Really don't know what to do. Is there anyone who could please check my photos with private message and tell my if this surgery is the right way

PatrickJL

• Private
« Reply #3 on: January 15, 2020, 02:11:33 AM »
Tried to upload photos but it doesn't allow saying files are too large 😔

GJ

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: January 15, 2020, 07:32:21 AM »
If the photos are too large, you can shrink them in any basic photo software and reupload them.

There is a private forum, but it's a $10 donation to enter, and usually only after a user is established. Write me via email if you're interested in this, and we'll see if we can come to a compromise to expedite it.

Regarding infection, there's always a chance of that when cutting any tissue. If you're torn between implant and filler just do filler first since it's reversible, then reassess.
Millimeters are miles on the face.

Bowie

« Reply #5 on: January 15, 2020, 02:59:18 PM »
If the photos are too large, you can shrink them in any basic photo software and reupload them.

There is a private forum, but it's a $10 donation to enter, and usually only after a user is established. Write me via email if you're interested in this, and we'll see if we can come to a compromise to expedite it.

Regarding infection, there's always a chance of that when cutting any tissue. If you're torn between implant and filler just do filler first since it's reversible, then reassess.
I think, either you, or someone else made a thread about steps to help avoid infection. Obviously darn good oral hygiene, but also some vitamins? Not that this is a full-proof guard against infection, just that it improves your chances.

DoubleJawSaveMePlz

« Reply #6 on: January 15, 2020, 06:12:26 PM »
Have you thought about lower jaw surgery? You may want to advance your lower jaw before you think about implants. Your lower lip does not line up with your upper lip. That’s not good. You need to watch face and Lms on YouTube. He’s has a video about jaw proportions on it. Good luck.

ben from UK

« Reply #7 on: January 16, 2020, 01:30:20 PM »
I think, either you, or someone else made a thread about steps to help avoid infection. Obviously darn good oral hygiene, but also some vitamins? Not that this is a full-proof guard against infection, just that it improves your chances.

Latest research suggests hygiene has no influence on it (don't remember the specific research). But it's never a bad thing to do.

I think it might be just a matter of luck. Some bacteria come in through the pocket and then it's a 'race to the bottom' (I think they call it like that): if the defense mechanisms win and stick to the implant first, the bacteria are too late and no biofilm will be formed. If the bacteria reach the implant first, there's a chance they will colonize the implant and the body won't be able to destroy them permanently. Research is done to find something that can destroy biofilm, cause this problem is one of the biggest problems worldwide, when antiobiotics don't work. Some progress is made with somekind of enzym that destroys biofilm. Oxygene therapy might be able to destroy it, and some other things they tried. There's also a natural product on the market, which I bought but never used. 

StudyHacks

« Reply #8 on: January 16, 2020, 04:21:39 PM »
Tried to upload photos but it doesn't allow saying files are too large 😔
You look very recessed, if you want major aesthetic improvement you'll need double jaw surgery, not implants. Then once you've solved the recession you'll be able to slap mass on your face with implants, mass and angularity I mean. When there's recession, always go for osteotomies to get projection.

What's aesthetic about human faces is naturally forward grown facial bones which implants can't provide, only osteotomies can.

Discuss double jaw surgery plus genioplasty with a good italian maxillofacial surgeon, and get cephalograph imaging from the side view (side profile view) and show him/her the cephalograph pictures.

Btw if it's unclear I'm not saying OP's ugly or anything, just trying to help him by pointing out he looks very recessed and slapping implants on a recessed face would be a bad idea without fixing the recession first
« Last Edit: January 16, 2020, 05:18:04 PM by StudyHacks »