Author Topic: would 4-5 mm of gum show(while smiling) be enough for you to get jaw surgery?  (Read 1927 times)

Throwaway88

still on the fence about getting this surgery since it would only be cosmetic. really want to know if it would improve nasal breathing as well. anyone have any thoughts?

Sergio-OMS

• Oral and Maxillofacial Surgeon
  • I am just trying to help
    • Clinica Gonzalez y Campos
It would depend on how accurately is the surgery planned and performed. But it should, yes.

Throwaway88

It would depend on how accurately is the surgery planned and performed. But it should, yes.
thanks. surgeon said he would impact maxilla 4 mm and forward 2 mm. lower jack setback 2 mm. still unsure about it. i can afford it but scared about the outcome, i see a lot of people with complaints about their surgery and results. really tough choice.

Post bimax

• Private
thanks. surgeon said he would impact maxilla 4 mm and forward 2 mm. lower jack setback 2 mm. still unsure about it. i can afford it but scared about the outcome, i see a lot of people with complaints about their surgery and results. really tough choice.

Post pictures. Also, you don't want to be left with 0 or negative gum show.

Lazlo

• Private
no way

kavan

• Global Moderator
Only if you also needed other displacements to 'equalize'/balance the jaws and teeth or it kicked up another benefit in addition to making the gum show less. But surgery would not be way to go if the gum show was the only reason for getting it.
Please. No PMs for private advice. Board issues only.

DRIVVEN

• Private
still on the fence about getting this surgery since it would only be cosmetic. really want to know if it would improve nasal breathing as well. anyone have any thoughts?

To figure out impact on nasal breathing, would really want to see the size of your airway.  It seems like a small set back, but mandibular setback could affect the lower airway. This is awfully invasive surgery just to correct a gummy smile. Personally, I miss my gummy smile. Google celebrities with a gummy smile, its more youthful, and your tooth show often lessens as you age.

PloskoPlus

Surgeons deny this, but upper jaw surgery and associated procedures meant to minimise the negative impacts of upper surgery - vy plasty, alar cinch, can leave you with a longer upper lip. Something to keep in mind.

Throwaway88

To figure out impact on nasal breathing, would really want to see the size of your airway.  It seems like a small set back, but mandibular setback could affect the lower airway. This is awfully invasive surgery just to correct a gummy smile. Personally, I miss my gummy smile. Google celebrities with a gummy smile, its more youthful, and your tooth show often lessens as you age.
i have a long midface and the surgeon said my occlusal plane is very steep. not sure how i have a balanced bite, maybe its just cause im ugly lol
Post pictures. Also, you don't want to be left with 0 or negative gum show.
my goal isnt to come out looking like a model, i am just self conscious about my teeth and smile. i dont know how much jaw surgery will help though. my face is really long, my upper lip is curved high. i cant close my mouth without chin strain and i  mouth breathe every night
« Last Edit: March 30, 2020, 03:37:33 PM by Throwaway88 »

Post bimax

• Private
i have a long midface and the surgeon said my occlusal plane is very steep. not sure how i have a balanced bite, maybe its just cause im ugly lol my goal isnt to come out looking like a model, i am just self conscious about my teeth and smile. i dont know how much jaw surgery will help though. my face is really long, my upper lip is curved high. i cant close my mouth without chin strain and i  mouth breathe every night

Looks to me like you are a good candidate for impaction.

GJ

• Administrator

Yeah. Maybe 2mm. Not too much.
Though, I also think you look fine now. It's a risk/reward thing.
Millimeters are miles on the face.

Throwaway88

thanks  just going back and forth on whether or not i want to spend 40k on it  and mental toll it will probably cause
Yeah. Maybe 2mm. Not too much.
Though, I also think you look fine now. It's a risk/reward thing.
surgeon was pushing for 4mm, i  think 2 is might be too little. my maxilla is quite long

Post bimax

• Private
thanks  just going back and forth on whether or not i want to spend 40k on it  and mental toll it will probably causesurgeon was pushing for 4mm, i  think 2 is might be too little. my maxilla is quite long

Eyeballing it I think you can get away with 3 and MAYBE 4 but I wouldn't go over 4. 

GJ

• Administrator
Margin of error is 1mm. Keep that in mind. If you do 4mm you might get 5mm.
Millimeters are miles on the face.

Throwaway88

Margin of error is 1mm. Keep that in mind. If you do 4mm you might get 5mm.
id probably prefer that. the orthodontist initially thought 5 mm impaction. my pics dont show the max gum show.