Author Topic: ~2 months post op. would like advice for further advancement/enhancements  (Read 2329 times)

beautyislife

I had double jaw surgery just about 2 months ago. I feel as if I wasn't advanced enough, especially for my lower jaw. Things still look recessed at my mouth area. I think I could use further advancement, and I'm trying to sort through my options there. In addition to that, there are a number of other things that I am finding I don't like. My front profile looks worse, my eyes appear too setback and my face looks too wide for my lower third and it seems to still cast short. I also thought I would get much more upper lip curvature, but that seems to be hit or miss on the photos I've taken.

I will say, the side profile looks better than pre-op, I didn't have any complications (well, so far), and my breathing has improved a lot. I'm just looking to find out what would be beneficial for me aesthetically now. I plan to discuss this in my upcoming post-op check in, but wanted some advice beforehand.

In order to get more projection, I've been looking at either a genioplasty or a chin wing. I managed to get a hold of one of the chin wing docs, and they said it could be possible (hinges on nerve location and cuts made now) to still have a chin wing, but I'd need hardware removal during the operation. My concern with this is that it it'll elongate my face too much, but I could get the added benefits of a bit more width and projection. For the genioplasty, I'm unsure if an isolated chin movement will actually help me, but I've been looking into this since I could just see if my surgeon would be able to do this or at least ask him what he thinks. Is my line of thinking correct?

Both of those options do nothing for the upper lip, but I believe I read on here that one of the chin wing docs does some grafting in that area. Aside from that, would there be any other option to get a bit more lip curvature? In regards to the sunken eyes, I believe my option there is fillers, and I've been reading into that.

I'm well aware I would benefit from a rhinoplasty, especially as my nose widened on front view, and I plan to have a septo-rhinoplasty but, right now my desire is to have more projection of my jaw. If measurements of what was done/xrays would help, I can ask my surgeon, but it may be a bit of time until I see them again for that.

Short version:
- I had double jaw surgery
- I would like to still achieve more projection and want to know my options
- I would also like to get more upper lip curvature - unsure how to achieve this

(removing pics for now)

« Last Edit: April 08, 2020, 06:17:36 PM by beautyislife »

Post bimax

• Private
Personally I think you got a great result; especially given your starting position.  Your upper lip is fine and you have a short philtrum.  If you want a stronger chin, I think implants are the way to go.  If you didn't get a genioplasty, maybe that's on the table.  But I'd be careful about that depending on your tolerance for the labiomental fold since yours is moderately deep already (not that it's bad- just something to be aware of).

GJ

• Administrator
Great result, and you're still swollen.
Enjoy life, because it's about to get better for you.
Millimeters are miles on the face.

beautyislife

Personally I think you got a great result; especially given your starting position.  Your upper lip is fine and you have a short philtrum.  If you want a stronger chin, I think implants are the way to go.  If you didn't get a genioplasty, maybe that's on the table.  But I'd be careful about that depending on your tolerance for the labiomental fold since yours is moderately deep already (not that it's bad- just something to be aware of).

Thanks for pointing out the labiomental fold, I agree with what you said. It is a bit deep and ideally I'd like to correct that as well. I'd prefer going down the genio/sliding genio or chin wing route, I don't really want a chin implant.

Great result, and you're still swollen.
Enjoy life, because it's about to get better for you.

Thanks. I didn't realize I was still noticeably swollen, I thought most of it would be gone by now.

kavan

• Global Moderator
You got a good result. But you might want to consider a diagonally downward and outward genio (not a sliding genio or chin wing) if what I've shown addresses your contention of 'not enough'.
« Last Edit: April 08, 2020, 06:25:51 PM by GJ »
Please. No PMs for private advice. Board issues only.

beautyislife

You got a good result. But you might want to consider a diagonally downward and outward genio (not a sliding genio or chin wing) if what I've shown addresses your contention of 'not enough'.

Thank you for the morph. I think that at least gets the chin in line where I'd like it to be, I'm just unsure what it'd look like from the front. I did speak with my surgeon and they indicated I should wait another 4 - 5 months due to the swelling and then he'd be open to a genioplasty or discussing other options. I may bump this thread once I have all the information available (his input, potentially one of the chin wing docs actual analysis if it's possible) that way I can get more accurate advice.

Thanks all!

ben from UK

I don't see an aesthethical inprovement from the front tbh due to lack of ogeeline, but it could be still swelling. From profile, yes.

I personally don't understand the choice for jaw surgery while you could have done something like genio.

I don't think you need more projection. You didn't need something to be done on jaw. Let's hope it's swelling.

StudyHacks

I don't see an aesthethical inprovement from the front tbh due to lack of ogeeline, but it could be still swelling. From profile, yes.

I personally don't understand the choice for jaw surgery while you could have done something like genio.

I don't think you need more projection. You didn't need something to be done on jaw. Let's hope it's swelling.
That's what I don't understand, isn't bimax supposed to be able to make your mandible more angular, aesthetic from the front? Also, shouldn't maxillary projection also result in better cheekbones and a better LeFort1 area?

ben from UK

That's what I don't understand, isn't bimax supposed to be able to make your mandible more angular, aesthetic from the front? Also, shouldn't maxillary projection also result in better cheekbones and a better LeFort1 area?

I wrote it before on this board, and this obviously doesn't go for every face, but there's some truth in it:.
Making jaw broader or bringing it forward etc. creates no aestethical effect if facial depth (area under cheekbones/ogeeline) isn't preserved. There's something called forward growth, partially created by the cheekbones. Cheekbones usually must portrude further than other parts (cheeks/upperjaw), otherwise you get a 'flatter' face with less facial depth/optical forward growth. Same problem could occur with implants.

Besides that, you seem to be right about jawangles. They seem to be a bit more rounded.

That being said, everything depends on individual face and partially on luck. But I don't think double jaw surgery creates more angularity by definition. It's supposed to make a jaw less recessed, but his jaw wasn't recessed in the first place.

Post bimax

• Private

Not sure how you can say that when his mandible was clearly recessed and he already had a somewhat deep fold.  A genio with no BSSO would have looked comical.

ben from UK

Not sure how you can say that when his mandible was clearly recessed and he already had a somewhat deep fold.  A genio with no BSSO would have looked comical.

How's his jaw recessed? I only changed his chin with this morph.

Besides, results from the front speak for themselves. He overdone it, resulting in a flatter face with less forward growth.

His profile is good, but he could have had it with only chinwork.
« Last Edit: April 08, 2020, 06:26:03 PM by GJ »

ben from UK

That being said, if there's still alot of swelling, it cpild settle down.

Post bimax

• Private
How's his jaw recessed? I only changed his chin with this morph.

Besides, results from the front speak for themselves. He overdone it, resulting in a flatter face with less forward growth.

His profile is good, but he could have had it with only chinwork.

That morph looks terrible, I'm not sure what it's supposed to show.  He still has swelling so he has a 'rounder' look.  Need to wait for things to settle out.

beautyislife

I don't really like how the front turned out either, but I'm also hoping it's swelling. I was told during my check up there's still considerable swelling around my jawline and cheek area. I asked a few docs about a genio before, and they said an isolated chin movement would not be a good idea because my mandible needed to be moved. I'm not sure what I can do about the front now, but that's something I guess I'll need to look into.

Comments like this don't bother me, so I appreciate the blunt feedback.

ben from UK

That morph looks terrible, I'm not sure what it's supposed to show.  He still has swelling so he has a 'rounder' look.  Need to wait for things to settle out.

Maybe we have a different taste. In my opinion, if the jaw is vertically aligned with the cheekbones, there's no need to do something about the jaw.

I just agree with OP's assesment of his own front. But if it's still swelling that has to settle down, then he can wait and maybe it indeed will turn out better than before.