Author Topic: Fixing asymmetry on flatter side of face? (Photos)  (Read 781 times)

synergy

Fixing asymmetry on flatter side of face? (Photos)
« on: April 02, 2020, 11:34:03 PM »
I'll preface this by saying I'm aware that absolute symmetry is not realistic and I'm aware that there are several faces you could use as examples of "attractive but asymmetric".

Personally, I've been quite unhappy with my asymmetry for a while. I'm 24 and it's been since I was about 17 or 18 that this has bugged me. While it's not extreme like some that come up on Google Images, it's something that has always stood out to me. I notice that one side is more narrow/flat; which is the side I dislike and would like to improve upon.

It affects my confidence quite a bit and I want to address it. I know there can be quite a few options out there where both preference and suitability can play a factor, ranging from orthognathic surgeries, implants, or fat grafts. (*I'd like to rule out fillers).

I have a picture of my face that I'll link right here: https://i.imgur.com/wSsm3tw.png  You'll see a yellow line. The yellow line represents where the outline of my face would lie if it were more symmetrical with the other side. Also, if you just use my neck as a reference point, you'll notice how much the right side of my jaw (my left but pictured on your right) projects outside/away from the neck, versus the left side (my right) where it's much more flat/narrow and doesn't project out nearly as much. 

Second is a quick video clip, edited to show what more symmetry would look like (before/after). I had to put it in black & white to avoid choppiness of colors —> https://streamable.com/h04i47

Any advice/comments/suggestions on how I could have this addressed? Could any orthographic surgery be in play to help fix the asymmetry? Yes I’m aware your post(s) aren’t medical advice :) — I’m looking into booking consults with a few surgeons locally just to get a professional opinion (although willing to travel just about anywhere if a highly rated surgeon is an option). I am also considering a scan of my face, although I recall getting one about 6 years ago when I was still trying to address this (although had no money and knew very little) and was told that my craniofacial structure was fine.

Also, not sure how relevant this could be to the asymmetry issue, although I once noticed that a bad habit of clenching my jaw 5 years ago, coincided with my jaw starting to lock (usually just one side) for 5 to 20 minutes when I’d chew my food. Even long after I stopped the bad habit. Even today, when I chew certain crunchy or chewy foods, my jaw will come close to locking (feels like it rubs up against something and avoids locking) although it hasn't happened in about a year.

Post bimax

• Private
Re: Fixing asymmetry on flatter side of face? (Photos)
« Reply #1 on: April 03, 2020, 10:01:44 AM »
Hmm.  Looks to me like custom jaw implants is the best solution.  I'm not aware of any osteometies that could achieve the result in your morph.  Even an implant would need to be VERY well done, so be extremely discerning if you go that route.

You also have TMJ issues though so it's worth consulting maxfacs to see what they suggest.  Dr. Wolford, Movahed and Gunson are the premier maxfacs for TMJ issues as far as I know.

kavan

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: April 04, 2020, 10:39:49 AM »
You're asking us to observe how things would be symmetrical if the other side of your face reached your yellow contour line. I would ask if you observed how that makes the ears look asymmetrical and if you would be OK with that.

IF you wouldn't be OK with that then why would you want to first consider options like bone cut surgeries, implants and fat grafts which are NOT as reversible AS ARE fillers which you would like to rule out.

You don't need to answer me. These are questions that you need to ask yourself.
Please. No PMs for private advice. Board issues only.

synergy

« Reply #3 on: April 04, 2020, 01:08:36 PM »
Hmm.  Looks to me like custom jaw implants is the best solution.  I'm not aware of any osteometies that could achieve the result in your morph.  Even an implant would need to be VERY well done, so be extremely discerning if you go that route.

You also have TMJ issues though so it's worth consulting maxfacs to see what they suggest.  Dr. Wolford, Movahed and Gunson are the premier maxfacs for TMJ issues as far as I know.
Thanks. That's something I've certainly considered. Lots of pros/cons when looking at implants (medpor vs silicone being one) which has me leaning towards fat grafts as a potential fix (I'm not fully sold on anything just yet) although I wonder about their permanence several years down the line (resorption occurring beyond the 1-2 year mark) and whether they can provide similar angularity to implants. Still looking into all of that myself, while simultaneously open to hearing advice from others and seeking out consultations with pros.

You're asking us to observe how things would be symmetrical if the other side of your face reached your yellow contour line. I would ask if you observed how that makes the ears look asymmetrical and if you would be OK with that.

IF you wouldn't be OK with that then why would you want to first consider options like bone cut surgeries, implants and fat grafts which are NOT as reversible AS ARE fillers which you would like to rule out.

You don't need to answer me. These are questions that you need to ask yourself.
I believe the asymmetrical features I want to address are more important to attractiveness/facial harmony than a bit of ear asymmetry. I noticed that when editing/morphing that graphic (perhaps something that caught your attention too).

That aside, may I ask for any additional input? Thanks.
« Last Edit: April 04, 2020, 01:17:09 PM by synergy »

kavan

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: April 04, 2020, 01:12:52 PM »
That's all the input I have for now.
Please. No PMs for private advice. Board issues only.