Author Topic: Zygomatic osteotomy result  (Read 2562 times)

ODog

Re: Zygomatic osteotomy result
« Reply #15 on: May 17, 2020, 11:14:03 AM »
You are wanting to discuss malar osteo based on photos where there is NO LINK to the SOURCE of the photos where a malar osteo can be cross referenced where the cheek area looks to be the LEAST changed thing in the photos. That leaves you as the ONLY one on here privy to what ever procedure she may have or may have not had to her cheeks and the rest of us guessing whether or not she had that.

https://www.instagram.com/p/Bb07vP5BwvL/?igshid=8gb5algu6b9b

kavan

• Global Moderator
« Reply #16 on: May 17, 2020, 04:08:50 PM »
https://www.instagram.com/p/Bb07vP5BwvL/?igshid=8gb5algu6b9b

Thanx. Wow. Her nose really took a beating from the profile perspective.  Photos taken the day after surgery. As to the cheek osteo, there would be SWELLING. But still, if the swelling does not show much of a difference to cheek area  even with swelling, it will do LESS after the swelling goes down.
Please. No PMs for private advice. Board issues only.

Gadwins

• Private
« Reply #17 on: May 17, 2020, 04:11:37 PM »
strange, here she looks completly different https://www.instagram.com/p/BvCel7lgw4u/

Gadwins

• Private
« Reply #18 on: May 18, 2020, 12:52:28 AM »
Here is the original message, where the screenshot was taken in the first post: https://www.instagram.com/p/BilsAINhv78/

@kavan: In this post the surgeon says, he did the follow things:

- shortening and advancement of upper jaw
- advancement of lower jaw
- shortening and advancement of chin
- widening of skull (whatever this means, here he does not say, that a ZSO was performed)

By the way, her nose looks almost like the same before. She had already before a flat nose bridge and the nose is really slightly upturned now, should be easy fixable, if she wants it. The surgeon seems to be aware of the negative nose changes, but many patient just does not want to change it.

kavan

• Global Moderator
« Reply #19 on: May 18, 2020, 10:36:03 AM »
Here is the original message, where the screenshot was taken in the first post: https://www.instagram.com/p/BilsAINhv78/

@kavan: In this post the surgeon says, he did the follow things:

- shortening and advancement of upper jaw
- advancement of lower jaw
- shortening and advancement of chin
- widening of skull (whatever this means, here he does not say, that a ZSO was performed)

By the way, her nose looks almost like the same before. She had already before a flat nose bridge and the nose is really slightly upturned now, should be easy fixable, if she wants it. The surgeon seems to be aware of the negative nose changes, but many patient just does not want to change it.

Firstly, NOW that we have the LINK where all this came from, with a little bit of brain power, we can cross reference what he did.

Я не понимаю почему, 'ОП' изначально держал ссылку в секрете.

To the best of my knowledge the info conveys surgeon did 4 things:

A Lefort 1, impaction (shortening) and advancement of the maxilla

A BSSO, forward advancement of mandible

A sliding genio (forward advancement along a diagonal cut; horizontal advancement with vertical shortening)

'expansion of the cheek bones'.

Now the first 3 things constituted the BIMAX surgery, which to me, were very visually clear she had those things for the more noticible facial changes.

Although he did not use terms such as 'Lefort 1', impaction, advancement, BSSO, sliding genioplasty...a literal translation of the words he used as to how he moved things would resolve to those procedures. However, he did list; 'expansion of cheek bones' for some kind of zyg osteo.

As to your statement of: 'By the way, her nose looks almost like the same as before.' I think you need to SHARPEN your observational powers because the surgery has clearly EXAGGERATED the problems with her nose as to turn a bad nose much WORSE. The BASE of nose with it's  bulbous tip has come more forward in frontal view as seen via the Nostril widening. Profile view shows a very exaggerated SCOOP as in making the scoop she started with all the more WORSE.

Of course, the surgeon is aware of the very negative outcome to the nose. (Who wouldn't be by looking at it?) What we don't know is whether or not the surgeon informed her initially that her nose would become WORSE from the surgery. You can say; 'Many patients would not want to change something like that'. But I say; Many doctors would not want to PRE-INFORM the patient of negative changes like that. Such a negative change would be PREDICTABLE given the initial shape of her nose and how it would change with the displacements she got. (Usually not to the patients. But the doctor would be able to anticipate that in advance.)

Gadwins

• Private
« Reply #20 on: May 18, 2020, 12:16:47 PM »
I think it is clear, that she had something like a ZSO. Not really on the front view, but more on the halfprofile 3/4 view. If she didn't had any cheek osteotomy, then she would look like this: https://www.reynoldsoralfacial.com/files/2015/06/case2_01.jpg

Unfortunately her left cheek looks really round, what was the concern of OP. If you scroll to the third photo in the series and look at the bottom right photo, it is clearly seen: https://www.instagram.com/p/BvCel7lgw4u/ 

The surgeon said, this photo is 1 1/2 year old. So this shouldn't be any swelling.

@kavan: I take notice of your answer and I agree with your observation, but I won't discuss if her nose was "bad" or it did worsen her situation.

edit: I asked the dr. what kind of cheek osteotomy she had: It was a L-shape sandwich osteotomy of cheek-bones.

kavan

• Global Moderator
« Reply #21 on: May 18, 2020, 01:06:54 PM »
I think it is clear, that she had something like a ZSO. Not really on the front view, but more on the halfprofile 3/4 view. If she didn't had any cheek osteotomy, then she would look like this: https://www.reynoldsoralfacial.com/files/2015/06/case2_01.jpg

Unfortunately her left cheek looks really round, what was the concern of OP. If you scroll to the third photo in the series and look at the bottom right photo, it is clearly seen: https://www.instagram.com/p/BvCel7lgw4u/ 

The surgeon said, this photo is 1 1/2 year old. So this shouldn't be any swelling.

@kavan: I take notice of your answer and I agree with your observation, but I won't discuss if her nose was "bad" or it did worsen her situation.

edit: I asked the dr. what kind of cheek osteotomy she had: It was a L-shape sandwich osteotomy of cheek-bones.

I've acknowledged she had cheek work AFTER it was confirmed with the link source.
Keep in mind that WITHOUT the initial link source multiple perspectives and descriptions could not be viewed, which is why I requested the OP list the link source so all could take a closer look. No need to discuss if her nose was bad and got worse. One just needs to SEE it. Good thing to establish the term for the type of zyg osteo she had.

PloskoPlus

« Reply #22 on: May 18, 2020, 05:55:58 PM »
Jeez how the lip lengthened in profile. Yet surgeons keep lying insist LF1 can't do this.

Post bimax

• Private
« Reply #23 on: May 18, 2020, 06:29:26 PM »
Jeez how the lip lengthened in profile. Yet surgeons keep lying insist LF1 can't do this.

Her philtrum was already long pre-op.  The upturning of the nose and the pronounced convexivity make it worse independent of any actual lengthening.

Gunson showed me the same thing on some of my pre-op pics.  Long philtrum is characteristic of AOB because the upper lip is being pulled down to make the seal.  Maybe something similar is going on in a class 3 bite.

ODog

« Reply #24 on: May 19, 2020, 05:21:40 AM »

Hey man I think you’re confusing things the link you posted mentions “plastic cheekbones.” Are you sure these are the results of her *zygomatoc osteotomy*? Lol. Or did she get further work done down the line with cheek implants ?
« Last Edit: May 19, 2020, 05:44:57 AM by ODog »

ODog

« Reply #25 on: May 19, 2020, 05:28:32 AM »

I agree man my philthrum looks clearly longer post-op. It was actually quite short and stunted looking before surgery. Weird. If it’s only a perceptional change, it *might as well* be an actual change because it sure looks like it. And the only thing that matters in aesthetics is how something appears to be, not how it actually is.

So when a surgeon says “your lip actually doesn’t get longer” it’s irrelevant from an aesthetic perspective if it LOOKS longer. 

Gadwins

• Private
« Reply #26 on: May 19, 2020, 09:30:29 AM »
Hey man I think you’re confusing things the link you posted mentions “plastic cheekbones.” Are you sure these are the results of her *zygomatoc osteotomy*? Lol. Or did she get further work done down the line with cheek implants ?

I asked him about this photo series: https://www.instagram.com/p/BilsAINhv78/  There he answered it was a L-shape sandwich ostetomy of cheek-bone. Also in this photo series you can see her left 3/4 profile, what seems to be really round. But I think the cause for that is not the cheek osteotomy, but the impaction of her upper jaw.

I would go even further and put a theory: If your face is short and you get cheek advancement, then your face get rounder.

ODog

« Reply #27 on: May 19, 2020, 09:49:09 AM »
I asked him about this photo series: https://www.instagram.com/p/BilsAINhv78/  There he answered it was a L-shape sandwich ostetomy of cheek-bone. Also in this photo series you can see her left 3/4 profile, what seems to be really round. But I think the cause for that is not the cheek osteotomy, but the impaction of her upper jaw.

I would go even further and put a theory: If your face is short and you get cheek advancement, then your face get rounder.

Ok you can clearly see the rounded cheeks in the 3/4th view. Perhaps this result isn’t ideal for a man. Doesn’t it seem like she got anterior projection? Her midface is very much improved. I personally think it’s an impressive result. 

I’m likely going for this surgery along with chin wing mid June.

Gadwins

• Private
« Reply #28 on: May 19, 2020, 10:47:20 AM »
If her face would be a bit longer, this rounded effect wouldn't be so strong. Also I don't know if a ZSO would produce another effect, than a L-shape sandwich osteotomy. That should be considered.

It is also interesting to notice, that the upper right picture would be acceptable for man.

kavan

• Global Moderator
« Reply #29 on: May 19, 2020, 12:46:32 PM »
I agree man my philthrum looks clearly longer post-op. It was actually quite short and stunted looking before surgery. Weird. If it’s only a perceptional change, it *might as well* be an actual change because it sure looks like it. And the only thing that matters in aesthetics is how something appears to be, not how it actually is.

So when a surgeon says “your lip actually doesn’t get longer” it’s irrelevant from an aesthetic perspective if it LOOKS longer.

Yes. That is correct. To the best of my knowledge the absolute distance of the philtral/upper lip area remains constant. It will look shorter  if it's aligned on on a diagonal plane (reference profile facing right, reference x-y graph with negative slope as to 'diagonal'). Same distance will look longer if aligned on vertical plane. In a situation where maxilla is advanced A LOT, philtrum/upper lip area can take on a conVEX curve and this will also look longer.