Author Topic: Broke retainer will posterior open bite come back  (Read 592 times)

Sanj87

Broke retainer will posterior open bite come back
« on: June 20, 2020, 02:04:12 PM »
Hello basically when i was 13 i had a underbite i had it corrected with braces and extraction. But because i had the braces off early i was left in a large posterior open bite sinse a few years ago when i hadbraces off. Sinse then it has not returned and my face is much slimmer. Im concerned because i broke my retainer its been a week i havent wore the retainer. Is it possible the open bite can come back? By not wearing retainer

GJ

• Administrator
Re: Broke retainer will posterior open bite come back
« Reply #1 on: June 20, 2020, 02:05:38 PM »
Yes, it's possible due to something like a tongue thrust. If the retainer was holding the teeth in place, without it the tongue could move them.
In general a week isn't enough time, but you get to 4 weeks or so and you might see movement.
You should probably just get a new retainer made next week so you don't have to stress over this.
Millimeters are miles on the face.

Sanj87

« Reply #2 on: June 22, 2020, 11:05:30 AM »
I only had the open bite because i stopped braces early so i was left 1with a open bite before that my teeth used to touch. Im saying will not wearing a retainer somehow cause my back teeth to open up again? As i dont tongue thrust

Post bimax

• Private
« Reply #3 on: June 22, 2020, 01:53:34 PM »
I only had the open bite because i stopped braces early so i was left 1with a open bite before that my teeth used to touch. Im saying will not wearing a retainer somehow cause my back teeth to open up again? As i dont tongue thrust

yes it can still relapse. retainers are for life. try to get a replacement asap