Author Topic: Is my Jaw recessed or just my chin?  (Read 1845 times)

aphelios

Is my Jaw recessed or just my chin?
« on: August 05, 2020, 11:48:46 AM »
Hi! I'm 26m (178cm x 65kg about 16-17% body fat) looking for advice before going to a maxillofacial surgeon.

I have a problem with my nose that make me impossible to breath with my nose when I sleep since 3-4 years a visit with an otolaryngologist (i used google translate for that dunno if it is correct) told me that i have to use nose spray to fix that, I have a new visit with a new otolaryngologist soon since i dont think a nose spray is a solution. I can breath with my nose during the day.

Here are the pics of my front and left side https://imgur.com/a/MgyrEPA, if you need anything else just tell me.

I'm also worried about my midface maxilla... dunno if i have still fat, weak bones or if it is recessed.

Thank for your help and sorry for my bad english.

eastcoastian1

Re: Is my Jaw recessed or just my chin?
« Reply #1 on: August 05, 2020, 01:57:40 PM »
Hi! I'm 26m (178cm x 65kg about 16-17% body fat) looking for advice before going to a maxillofacial surgeon.

I have a problem with my nose that make me impossible to breath with my nose when I sleep since 3-4 years a visit with an otolaryngologist (i used google translate for that dunno if it is correct) told me that i have to use nose spray to fix that, I have a new visit with a new otolaryngologist soon since i dont think a nose spray is a solution. I can breath with my nose during the day.

Here are the pics of my front and left side https://imgur.com/a/MgyrEPA, if you need anything else just tell me.

I'm also worried about my midface maxilla... dunno if i have still fat, weak bones or if it is recessed.

Thank for your help and sorry for my bad english.

You look good dude. If anything, chin augmentation would be great.

aphelios

« Reply #2 on: August 05, 2020, 02:15:07 PM »
You look good dude. If anything, chin augmentation would be great.

Hi, I was thinking about a genioplasty (+ maybe a chin lipo for more definition) is that wrong? When should I choose a chin augmentation over a genioplasty? Thank you!

kavan

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: August 05, 2020, 05:56:47 PM »
Come back when you have head poses in the right positions and not cocked fronts and twisted neck profiles.

https://i.pinimg.com/originals/65/2b/09/652b09ac6fa9e200d9c2357940a75151.jpg
Please. No PMs for private advice. Board issues only.

aphelios

« Reply #4 on: August 06, 2020, 05:09:32 AM »
Come back when you have head poses in the right positions and not cocked fronts and twisted neck profiles.

https://i.pinimg.com/originals/65/2b/09/652b09ac6fa9e200d9c2357940a75151.jpg

I made a new album https://imgur.com/a/GCtptQT I also added my bite and all the  type of braces I had when I was a kid.

kavan

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: August 06, 2020, 12:04:20 PM »
Relative to straight vertical lines dropped from both the upper lip and the lower lip, the lower lip is behind the upper (not by a whole lot though) and the chin is behind the lower lip. That's a very basic indicator for both lower jaw and chin recession. However, that basic assessment alone doesn't answer to detailed questions you might have as to 'how much' to advance/displace this or that part. That's because displacements in maxfax surgery are CONTINGENT on fitting together a bunch of complex measures that aren't measurable by anyone just looking at your face. Possible plans for a variety of displacements of teeth and jaw parts would only arise from someone in the capacity TO measure those things. That would be a maxfax surgeon on the basis of a cephalometric analysis.

Another contingency for maxfax surgery that applies to someone with PRIOR ortho to get the 'bite right' is to go through a decompensation process aimed at getting the bite 'wrong' in order to prepare for surgery to get the skeletal jaw to jaw balance relationship right.

That said, it does look like you'd be a candidate for maxfax surgery. But you would need to consult with one.

aphelios

« Reply #6 on: August 06, 2020, 01:14:14 PM »
Relative to straight vertical lines dropped from both the upper lip and the lower lip, the lower lip is behind the upper (not by a whole lot though) and the chin is behind the lower lip. That's a very basic indicator for both lower jaw and chin recession. However, that basic assessment alone doesn't answer to detailed questions you might have as to 'how much' to advance/displace this or that part. That's because displacements in maxfax surgery are CONTINGENT on fitting together a bunch of complex measures that aren't measurable by anyone just looking at your face. Possible plans for a variety of displacements of teeth and jaw parts would only arise from someone in the capacity TO measure those things. That would be a maxfax surgeon on the basis of a cephalometric analysis.

Another contingency for maxfax surgery that applies to someone with PRIOR ortho to get the 'bite right' is to go through a decompensation process aimed at getting the bite 'wrong' in order to prepare for surgery to get the skeletal jaw to jaw balance relationship right.

That said, it does look like you'd be a candidate for maxfax surgery. But you would need to consult with one.

Thank you so much, so u would say i'm a candidate for a bimax right? Also basically i need braces again to recess my teeth even more (did I get this right?), do you think my upper jaw is fine?
« Last Edit: August 06, 2020, 01:37:52 PM by aphelios »

kavan

• Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: August 06, 2020, 01:46:23 PM »
Thank you so much, so u would say i'm a candidate for a bimax right? Also basically i need braces again to put recess my teeth even more (did I get this right?) do you think my upper jaw is fine?

Well, yes. You look like you could be a candidate for maxfax surgery. Next thing to do is consult about it.
It's usually or often bimax even when it looks (based on a photo) that only the lower jaw and chin need to be advanced even if upper jaw looks fine. It's because movement of the upper jaw might be needed to move the lower one into a preferred position. Braces are needed to move the teeth into a position where they will 'fit' together after they do the jaw surgery whereas before the jaw surgery, the teeth might be moved in a direction kind of/sort of opposite of what the prior ortho did. So, BEFORE surgery, the bite won't be fitting right and that's temporary.

aphelios

« Reply #8 on: August 06, 2020, 02:06:21 PM »
Well, yes. You look like you could be a candidate for maxfax surgery. Next thing to do is consult about it.
It's usually or often bimax even when it looks (based on a photo) that only the lower jaw and chin need to be advanced even if upper jaw looks fine. It's because movement of the upper jaw might be needed to move the lower one into a preferred position. Braces are needed to move the teeth into a position where they will 'fit' together after they do the jaw surgery whereas before the jaw surgery, the teeth might be moved in a direction kind of/sort of opposite of what the prior ortho did. So, BEFORE surgery, the bite won't be fitting right and that's temporary.

Ok thank you, I understand everything you said, last question, if I dont have sleep apnea (not 100% sure about this one, since some night I wake up for no reason and my mom got it) will the surgeon do it just for aesthetic reason? 

kavan

• Global Moderator
« Reply #9 on: August 06, 2020, 02:40:16 PM »
Ok thank you, I understand everything you said, last question, if I dont have sleep apnea (not 100% sure about this one, since some night I wake up for no reason and my mom got it) will the surgeon do it just for aesthetic reason?

Most likely if the surgery is SELF PAY as in you pay for it and not insurance and also if after the appropriate X rays are taken and  measurements evaluated, they find that those measures are consistent with the goal of moving the jaws in a more aesthetic position.

aphelios

« Reply #10 on: August 06, 2020, 07:32:46 PM »
Most likely if the surgery is SELF PAY as in you pay for it and not insurance and also if after the appropriate X rays are taken and  measurements evaluated, they find that those measures are consistent with the goal of moving the jaws in a more aesthetic position.

Sorry to bother you one last time, do you have any names for surgeons? I live in italy with some research i found raffaini and ortognatica roma, i want to stay in the raffaini budget range (not over 30k) do you have any others names in europe? Thank you again for your time!

kavan

• Global Moderator
« Reply #11 on: August 06, 2020, 07:41:21 PM »
Sorry to bother you one last time, do you have any names for surgeons? I live in italy with some research i found raffaini and ortognatica roma, i want to stay in the raffaini budget range (not over 30k) do you have any others names in europe? Thank you again for your time!

No. I just explain the concepts behind surgery.
« Last Edit: August 06, 2020, 07:58:55 PM by kavan »

aphelios

« Reply #12 on: September 11, 2020, 04:26:46 AM »
No. I just explain the concepts behind surgery.

Hey, i talked a bit with a maxillo facial "Dott. Valerio Ramieri", im gonna take an appointment soon to get visited. They do doublejawsurgery+chin wing/shield without needing for braces if you already have a good occlusion. I saw 2 result (not from their page, from a forum) both surgery first with impressive result https://imgur.com/a/cEnyw0C

What do you think about this kavan?

kavan

• Global Moderator
« Reply #13 on: September 11, 2020, 08:21:32 AM »
Giving you feedback on YOUR photos was not an invitation to evaluate other people's photos.

Gadwins

• Private
« Reply #14 on: September 11, 2020, 10:33:31 AM »
brutal cherry pick. I don't want to start any further discussion, because the topic was not about that. But just to warn you, you have to understand that there are certain limitation about the outcome, which just depends on your bone structure. You can look much better afterwards than before. But some results aren't possible and you have to have a releastic expectation, just for the sake of your sanity.