Author Topic: Just had a bimax to cure Sleep Apnea - were the performed movements needed ?  (Read 4567 times)

Baguettejaws

Re: Just had a bimax to cure Sleep Apnea - were the performed movements needed ?
« Reply #15 on: September 27, 2020, 04:12:41 PM »
Unfortunately, no more braces or wires, removed on Friday. Surgeon 1 told me that the bite is going to close with time, speaking and eating will make my jaws work and help fixing the bite.

kavan

• Global Moderator
Re: Just had a bimax to cure Sleep Apnea - were the performed movements needed ?
« Reply #16 on: September 27, 2020, 04:37:14 PM »
Unfortunately, no more braces or wires, removed on Friday. Surgeon 1 told me that the bite is going to close with time, speaking and eating will make my jaws work and help fixing the bite.

Well, you'll have to wait that time out anyway before having the other surgeon doing any work.
Please. No PMs for private advice. Board issues only.

GJ

• Administrator
« Reply #17 on: September 27, 2020, 10:08:20 PM »
Bags, it's a weird thing in that you went from looking like an accountant to looking like a track coach. Somewhat nerdy to jocky. It's very dramatic that type of change. Is this what is throwing you off so much? I don't think you look bad after. If I saw you on the street I'd just think I walked past the high school track coach. The bite issue has me more concerned than your looks.
Millimeters are miles on the face.

Baguettejaws

« Reply #18 on: September 28, 2020, 02:49:20 AM »
Well, you'll have to wait that time out anyway before having the other surgeon doing any work.
I do. I am not in a hurry to do a revision. This is just 1 month and things can still change.

Baguettejaws

« Reply #19 on: September 28, 2020, 02:51:18 AM »
Bags, it's a weird thing in that you went from looking like an accountant to looking like a track coach. Somewhat nerdy to jocky. It's very dramatic that type of change. Is this what is throwing you off so much? I don't think you look bad after. If I saw you on the street I'd just think I walked past the high school track coach. The bite issue has me more concerned than your looks.
"it's a weird thing in that you went from looking like an accountant to looking like a track coach"  :D :D
I am not against looking like a track coach, I am fine with that.
I'll post some pictures in the next days so you can have all a better idea of the result. 

InvisalignOnly

« Reply #20 on: September 28, 2020, 05:34:07 AM »
One month is definitely too early to judge aesthetics plus I agree with GJ that you look fine in the after photos you posted; however the bite is a concern. It does not look right to me in that ceph and I find it super weird that your surgeon said that will get fixed magically by itself. I have never heard of anything like that before. I am 2 months post op and my bite has not changed at all since I woke up in the recovery room (and I've been doing a lot of speaking and chewing lately). It would be pretty strange if people's bites changed post surgery because of eating and speaking! I personally think you'll eventually need some orthodontic work to sort this out (hopefully not long though, maybe a few months).

PloskoPlus

« Reply #21 on: September 29, 2020, 04:49:57 AM »
Assuming your bite is off because your upper jaw was overadvanced, two things can happen to make what he said true:
* the upper jaw may relapse a little.
* your teeth will start to naturally compensate the overjet - the upper teeth will incline backwards, the lower forwards.  This will only increase the convexity of your upper lip.

Removing the hardware so early is bizarre.  There is a thing called "regional accelleratory phenomenon" - after the bones are cut and moved, teeth start to move really fast.  It is used to sell surgery first because the total time in braces is in theory less (for those that need teeth to move... never mind that it makes the surgery itself less accurate).  But even if your bite is perfect after surgery, retention is required to prevent the teeth from moving.

Baguettejaws

« Reply #22 on: September 29, 2020, 06:36:10 AM »
Thank you for your feedback. The hardware was not braces, but a metal wire in my gum with little hooks. I assume it was used during the surgery to handle the maxila/mandible, and after to put the elastics.

So, removing the hardware makes me unable tu use the elastics.

The relapse of the upper jaw would be perfect as it would close the bite AND make me looks like less chimpy.

Anyway, I am going to see another surgeron, in Italy, so I can have one more medical feedback.

InvisalignOnly

« Reply #23 on: September 29, 2020, 06:37:01 AM »
Removing the hardware so early is bizarre.  There is a thing called "regional accelleratory phenomenon" - after the bones are cut and moved, teeth start to move really fast.  It is used to sell surgery first because the total time in braces is in theory less (for those that need teeth to move... never mind that it makes the surgery itself less accurate).  But even if your bite is perfect after surgery, retention is required to prevent the teeth from moving.

I only needed braces for my bottom teeth to close extraction gaps and they put brackets on top just for the surgery. Those were removed 6 weeks after surgery and they gave me a retainer to wear at night (still need the lower ones to close remaining gaps etc.). My ortho has a lot of experience with surgical cases and he told me that in his personal experience, teeth don't typically move faster after surgery than before. Still, OP should probably get a retainer or something just in case.

Having said that, if he gets a retainer, his bite can't magically correct itself unlike the surgeon suggested...

PloskoPlus

« Reply #24 on: September 29, 2020, 03:27:18 PM »
Thank you for your feedback. The hardware was not braces, but a metal wire in my gum with little hooks. I assume it was used during the surgery to handle the maxila/mandible, and after to put the elastics.

So, removing the hardware makes me unable tu use the elastics.

The relapse of the upper jaw would be perfect as it would close the bite AND make me looks like less chimpy.

Anyway, I am going to see another surgeron, in Italy, so I can have one more medical feedback.
If you have arch bars, then the faster they're out, the better. They shred gums.

kavan

• Global Moderator
« Reply #25 on: September 29, 2020, 04:40:03 PM »

I only needed braces for my bottom teeth to close extraction gaps and they put brackets on top just for the surgery. Those were removed 6 weeks after surgery and they gave me a retainer to wear at night (still need the lower ones to close remaining gaps etc.). My ortho has a lot of experience with surgical cases and he told me that in his personal experience, teeth don't typically move faster after surgery than before. Still, OP should probably get a retainer or something just in case.

Having said that, if he gets a retainer, his bite can't magically correct itself unlike the surgeon suggested...

Can't predict whether or not his bite will correct itself. But just to say, that IS the theory behind eventual self correction via COMPENSATION where the teeth will kind of move into place on their own without the braces still in there.

The retainer comes in AFTER the teeth compensate to fit into place. It is to keep them in place. So, if they are out of place for a good bite, a retainer would tend to keep them out of place before they could compensate on their own.

The teeth moving faster after surgery that Plosko referred to; 'regional accelleratory phenomenon' is indeed an observed phenomenon the surgery first doctors rely on. It has something to do with the blood supply that's there after a fresh cut to the jaw bones. Although I don't know the exact bio-dynamic particulars. The observation of that being the case (faster teeth movement) is something that orthos working with surgery first cases would most likely see more of than those not. However, even though faster teeth movement after surgery first happens, some people DO need to stay in the braces longer because no matter how fast they move, the surgical plan itself is one where the surgeon just ASSUMES the ortho will make the bite right after his surgery and that's not often the case when the surgeon is actually not doing things based on PRE-ORTHO accuracy for him to do it.
Please. No PMs for private advice. Board issues only.

InvisalignOnly

Can't predict whether or not his bite will correct itself. But just to say, that IS the theory behind eventual self correction via COMPENSATION where the teeth will kind of move into place on their own without the braces still in there.

I see! Thanks for the info, never heard of that before. Must be a bit scary for OP seeing he had a class 1 bite before surgery - hope it will work out for him.

Baguettejaws

Hi guys,

Just saw an ortho yesterday to make a dental cast. Impossible to do it because opening my mouth enough was not possible.
When we speak about the occlusion, she said that "teeths move and naturally search contact". So she is confident that the teeths are going to get in place soon.
Wait and see, I have an appointement with an Italian Surgeron in Parma in a few weeks, I'll keep you updated after the consultation

InvisalignOnly

Just saw an ortho yesterday to make a dental cast. Impossible to do it because opening my mouth enough was not possible.

My mouth opening is quite limited as well after surgery but my ortho has a small sized plastic tray that he managed to get inside slowly for the impressions  - maybe you can ask next time if they have that size. Good to know that teeth can move by themselves, I really had no idea (and I'll be more serious than ever about wearing my retainer from now - first time in my life I have a class 1 bite, can't afford to lose that!). Good luck with the consultation and everything else, really hope things will work out well for you.

GJ

• Administrator
Hi guys,

When we speak about the occlusion, she said that "teeths move and naturally search contact". So she is confident that the teeths are going to get in place soon.
Wait and see, I have an appointement with an Italian Surgeron in Parma in a few weeks, I'll keep you updated after the consultation

She's sort of right.
It depends what's wrong with the bite (did you say somewhere in the thread?)...e.g. if they need to extrude, teeth naturally want to do that, to a point. If you tell me exactly what's wrong with the bite, I can probably give you the reality of whether they will fix themselves or not.
Millimeters are miles on the face.