Author Topic: Cheapest Alternative to Gunson  (Read 7582 times)

Tati

Re: Cheapest Alternative to Gunson
« Reply #30 on: September 15, 2020, 03:04:25 PM »
Dr. Gunson recommended Julio Cifuentes to me as the only surgeon (he knows of) in South America he'd trust with a revision like mine (for the most part). He's from Chile, and when I called in his secretary estimated the cost of surgery at 22 milion chilean pesos (29k in US dollars). That includes hospital, anesthesia, plates and screws, fees, etc.

For reference, if I were to get the surgery Dr. Gunson suggests, it'd be a 5-6 mm anterior downgraft, 8 mm posterior downgraft, that presents added difficulties because it's a second time intervention, my orthodontic set-up is (very) bad and I have little bone on one side of my maxilla.

Let me clarify though, he can't guarantee anything with a referral and still said it'd be convenient I go to Santa Barbara. Another thing to note, he said many surgeons can execute first time surgeries well but that revisions are sort of another category. So if you're going into it fresh, it'll probably be easier to find someone suitable.

Tati

« Reply #31 on: September 15, 2020, 03:28:32 PM »
Seeing some of the other responses here, I want to add I've consulted other professionals in my country that use FAB who did not agree with Dr. Gunson's criteria as far as what types of movements are convenient for my bite.

Explanation:

The reason lies in my orthodontic set-up.

My upper incisors are flared out and need to be straightened (ideally). Which would require bringing back all of my upper teeth.

Dr. Gunson didn't think the extensive dental work was worth it (reducing the effects of the problem to aesthetic matters), while the professionals here didn't see fit moving forward with another procedure when, even if my bone structure was in an ideal position, the bite would remain out of place.

Note, if I had CCW in my current situation the position of my incisors would be further compromised.

Tati

« Reply #32 on: September 15, 2020, 03:37:46 PM »
Lastly, I haven't been able to schedule a consultation with Dr. Cifuentes because of the pandemic. Apparently he doesn't offer a virtual alternative; therefore I can't yet speak on what he would do.

scramfranklin

« Reply #33 on: October 01, 2020, 06:37:21 PM »
as I was told by Kavan ,I need a CW rotation with posterior downgraft.
Should I choose a surgeon who use NEMOfab system,?

Maybe I’m incorrect, but thought posterior downgrafting would be CCW rotation, not CW. Or did he mean overall downgrafting, but more anterior downgrafting than posterior downgrafting? That would be CW rotation
« Last Edit: October 01, 2020, 07:18:26 PM by scramfranklin »

kavan

• Global Moderator
« Reply #34 on: October 01, 2020, 08:19:58 PM »
Maybe I’m incorrect, but thought posterior downgrafting would be CCW rotation, not CW. Or did he mean overall downgrafting, but more anterior downgrafting than posterior downgrafting? That would be CW rotation

overall
Please. No PMs for private advice. Board issues only.

andyyyy37

« Reply #35 on: November 07, 2020, 10:41:26 AM »
I’m getting a maxilla Downgraft in Korea soon for more tooth show and to get a longer face. I’m not sure if you would want to get it done there since Asian aesthetics are different but since I’m Korean I actually prefer a doctor familiar with asian faces. It’s extremely affordable and he says I won’t need braces either. Sorry if this isn’t what your talking about I just saw the word down graft. Did you have braces to hide a underbite? That was my situation and I have no idea how he hid it without extractions or an expander or anything.

ChinaBoy420

« Reply #36 on: August 29, 2022, 11:00:10 PM »
I’m getting a maxilla Downgraft in Korea soon for more tooth show and to get a longer face. I’m not sure if you would want to get it done there since Asian aesthetics are different but since I’m Korean I actually prefer a doctor familiar with asian faces. It’s extremely affordable and he says I won’t need braces either. Sorry if this isn’t what your talking about I just saw the word down graft. Did you have braces to hide a underbite? That was my situation and I have no idea how he hid it without extractions or an expander or anything.
do you mind sharing which korean doctor you are doing a downgraft with? If I recall correctly, korean surgeons don't really like to do downgrafts