Author Topic: Mouth opening restricted after surgery - any tips?  (Read 2552 times)

InvisalignOnly

Re: Mouth opening restricted after surgery - any tips?
« Reply #15 on: September 13, 2020, 03:13:00 AM »
Quick update (especially for anybody in a similar situation in the future): surgeon e-mailed back confirming mouth opening looks too restricted and I need to start doing exercises to improve it, he says it is safe after 6 weeks but I'm too scared so will wait another week or two. He didn't suggest any particular exercises, told me to contact a physio or my ortho (the latter already told me he has no idea what to do lol). I'll try to remember to update this thread in future if there are any developments.

GJ

• Administrator
« Reply #16 on: September 13, 2020, 07:04:08 AM »
In general you start by opening it one finger diameter, then two, etc. You can actually put your finger in your mouth to do this.
Check back with him if this is okay before doing it, though.
Millimeters are miles on the face.

InvisalignOnly

« Reply #17 on: September 13, 2020, 08:13:10 AM »
In general you start by opening it one finger diameter, then two, etc. You can actually put your finger in your mouth to do this.
Check back with him if this is okay before doing it, though.

Thanks - I'll ask if they think it's safe.

logan

« Reply #18 on: January 31, 2021, 10:10:59 PM »
How did this mouth-opening issue work out for you InvisalignOnly? Did it get beck to normal?

InvisalignOnly

« Reply #19 on: February 01, 2021, 02:32:09 AM »
Hey, I'm now 6 months post op and made a lot of progress. I can open 3 fingers wide - normal opening is about 4. So it's still somewhat restricted but I can now shout and talk loudly, have any type of dental treatment, and do 'other activities' almost without restrictions. So it's pretty good and I'm hoping that it will get even better after a few more months.

logan

« Reply #20 on: February 04, 2021, 11:16:00 PM »
That's awesome!

I had some unrelated nerve damage 9 months ago -- complete loss of smell from covid, actually -- and only now is it starting to get back to normal. Starting from absolutely nothing. This is not related to jaw surgery but it amazes me how the body can recover slowwwwly but steadily over time