Author Topic: which jaw surgery for weak chin/side profile  (Read 1105 times)

Camus

which jaw surgery for weak chin/side profile
« on: January 15, 2021, 06:18:41 PM »
I've always been dissatisfied with my chin, especially in side profile. I have consulted with a plastic surgeon who recommended a chin implant (I did not like that surgeon) and a maxillofacial surgeon who recommended a sliding genioplasty. The maxillofacial surgeon seemed more confidant and I preferred his approach. He described the procedure as being planned 100% in advance by a company in Germany (stryker?); he would just execute the surgery. Quoted at $~2500 for the plans/hardware and ~$2500 for the surgery.

31M/midwest. Any further advice here would be appreciated. Am curious if sliding genio is the obvious choice here and if I should worry about messing up my facial harmony.
« Last Edit: August 19, 2021, 02:12:19 PM by Camus »

kavan

• Global Moderator
Re: which jaw surgery for weak chin/side profile
« Reply #1 on: January 16, 2021, 02:16:00 PM »
Firstly, it's common for PS's to suggest chin implants when a patient tells them they are dissatisfied with their chin. It's uncommon for them to open topic of the possibility of your whole lower jaw being recessed because if it's that or that too, it's not in their venue to address all of that... if it is that.

Secondly, there's something that seems uncommon to me about this maxfax you went to. I'm assuming you have not left information out about this visit and it was the maxfax who didn't open topic about the possibility of your whole lower jaw being recessed (in addition to chin). Such a possibility, to rule in or rule out, is explored via an X-ray CEPH and if he doesn't have the device to take one, he should refer you to a place where you can have one taken. Basically, it's something that the maxfax needs to look at in the process of AT LEAST giving you BASIC info as to whether or not your chin is the ONLY factor in the recession you're seeing. Another concern is his 'jobbing out' the surgery plan, which by the way, a CEPH, same type of X ray photo this maxfax won't take himself to even look at the jaw to jaw and bite relationship, would be needed to plan the genio.

Seek out ANOTHER maxfax who would not leave you in the lurch as to the POSSIBILITY of your chin recession also being coupled with jaw recession.
Please. No PMs for private advice. Board issues only.

PloskoPlus

« Reply #2 on: January 16, 2021, 07:20:56 PM »
Your labiomental fold looks good. With an implant or genioplasty you'll end up with a chin that sticks out like a dick. Your jaw looks recessed.

InvisalignOnly

« Reply #3 on: January 17, 2021, 01:09:30 AM »
I agree with the previous posters - you should get a second opinion from another maxillofacial surgeon to see if lower jaw surgery would be the best option for you. They would need to look at x-rays etc.