Author Topic: Lower Jaw Distraction Surgery  (Read 1936 times)

hara.v

Lower Jaw Distraction Surgery
« on: June 21, 2012, 12:12:38 PM »
Hello guys!

Has any of you come across Lower Jaw Distraction Surgery before? it sounds like an amazing option for people who only need lower jaw surgery...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=chU4ImyeZl8

hara.v

Re: Lower Jaw Distraction Surgery
« Reply #1 on: June 21, 2012, 12:20:39 PM »
that is a VERY good point  :(

Eroica

« Reply #2 on: June 21, 2012, 01:56:18 PM »
It's used to correct bite deformities in adults as well, particularly in the case of large mandibular deficiencies (>20mm). However skilled surgeons can achieve these advancements in a single surgery anyway.

Eroica

« Reply #3 on: June 21, 2012, 04:03:59 PM »
It's a much better procedure than standard jaw surgery for a huge number of reasons. I suspect it will become standard in the future.

Arnett/Gunson don't agree. From the article "Drs. G. William Arnett and Michael J. Gunson on Esthetic Treatment Planning for Orthognathic Surgery"

"Distraction osteogenesis, in our opinion, will not substitute for conventional ortho-gnathic surgery. Well-done orthognathic surgery with rigid fixation produces occlusal, facial, and airway results that are the gold standard. Distraction osteogenesis does not, and will not, treat the bite in three planes of space with the same quality and precision as conventional, well-done orthognathic surgery. When thinking of distraction, we must realize its limitations. Establishment of precise vectors for distraction is exceedingly difficult. Moving a complex object such as the mandible to within 1mm of accuracy is a veritable impossibility with distraction. There are also severe limits on achieving final occlusion compared with traditional orthognathic surgery. What are the valid clinical reasons to avoid the Le Fort I and sagittal osteotomies in favor of distraction? Previously held beliefs that distraction was kinder to nerve and joint tissues have been proved false. We must be careful not to lower our standards for the sake of using new technology"

Heavyweight

« Reply #4 on: June 21, 2012, 04:31:34 PM »
Well there you go!

I now cannot think of a single advantage to traditional orthognathic surgery over distraction osteogenesis.

On second thought, I don't see how you could perform impaction or setback with distraction, but for other movements, I think distraction is far superior.

Eroica

« Reply #5 on: June 22, 2012, 04:30:33 AM »
Maurice Mommaerts in Belgium performs distraction osteogenesis, I believe. But I don't think most surgeons will just fit a distractor for cosmetic reasons. DO is usually used to correct severe deficiencies as in the case of conditions like treacher collins or crouzon syndrome.

Eroica

« Reply #6 on: June 22, 2012, 04:35:08 AM »
http://www.northsideoralsurgery.net/

Another surgeon who works with DO.

neferkitti

• Private
« Reply #8 on: June 22, 2012, 07:56:13 PM »
http://www.academicjournals.org/jphe/PDF/pdf2011/April/Dheeraj%20et%20al.pdf

Thanks for posting link.

I find this topic interesting. I've heard of this option before, but it seems fairly new. It would be interesting to learn more from actual post distraction patients.

Jack

« Reply #9 on: August 12, 2012, 07:58:08 PM »
Dude, I understand you're upset but your language is out of control and kinda childish in this and other posts on here.  We're all adults on here, let's act like it, yeah?

no problem. if you're disturbed/offended by my language, i apologize and i'm more than happy to censor myself in the future. but please do not tell me what an "adult" is supposed to act like. such pronouncements are essentializing, judgmental and worst, narrow minded.

Heavyweight

« Reply #10 on: August 12, 2012, 08:44:32 PM »
Distraction osteogenesis can be used to widen the mandible. This seems to be the ideal solution for crowding in Class 2 patients because most of them have narrow mandibles to begin with. Extractions worsen the problem while widening corrects it. I'm going to ask Dr. Arnett about widening my lower jaw (and possibly my upper jaw) during the orthodontics phase.

http://www.accutechortho.com/products/distrax

Jack

« Reply #11 on: August 13, 2012, 06:18:00 AM »
Distraction osteogenesis can be used to widen the mandible. This seems to be the ideal solution for crowding in Class 2 patients because most of them have narrow mandibles to begin with. Extractions worsen the problem while widening corrects it. I'm going to ask Dr. Arnett about widening my lower jaw (and possibly my upper jaw) during the orthodontics phase.

http://www.accutechortho.com/products/distrax

Hey man, that would be FASCINATING to hear his answer to to whether that's possible. Alas, I already had extractions and deeply regret it. My ortho as I said did not know about any of this. I suspect though, it may all be slightly more complicated than we think --but I look forward to hearing his response! Thanks!

pekay

« Reply #12 on: January 06, 2013, 07:20:22 AM »
Ok, just found out that Dr David Hirsch at NYU does jaw distraction as well

http://www.manhattanmaxillofacial.com/oral-surgery-manhattan/distraction-osteogenesis.html
Chopsticks > Spoons

Lazlo

• Private
« Reply #13 on: January 06, 2013, 09:33:25 PM »
Ok, just found out that Dr David Hirsch at NYU does jaw distraction as well

http://www.manhattanmaxillofacial.com/oral-surgery-manhattan/distraction-osteogenesis.html

pekay, thanks a lot for that info as it's something I am interested in. Unfortunately i already had extractions of my four bicuspids -had i not done that i would have had distraction to actually grow my jaw to accomodate my teeth --in the description on Hirch's site it indicates he uses it to build space for "dental implants" --I wonder, however, if he actually does it as a replacement for jaw surgery though --that is, if like Dr. Coceancig he would do only distraction instead of a bsso or lefort. I believe this is certainly the future, but I wonder why right now it's not the clear alternative. Let's continue to investigate this, if you contact Hirsch, do let us know, and I will do the same.

pekay

« Reply #14 on: January 10, 2013, 07:26:29 PM »
Department of Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery in Boston, MA also does distraction osteogenesis
Chopsticks > Spoons