Author Topic: Lower Jaw Distraction Surgery  (Read 1934 times)

Lazlo

• Private
Re: Lower Jaw Distraction Surgery
« Reply #15 on: January 11, 2013, 08:06:09 AM »
Department of Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery in Boston, MA also does distraction osteogenesis

do you know which hospital pekay (by the way thanks again for this) I'm actually a grad student in boston(but live in Canada right now) so it might be worthwhile to check out when I move back...thanks....

pekay

« Reply #16 on: January 11, 2013, 08:09:29 AM »
do you know which hospital pekay (by the way thanks again for this) I'm actually a grad student in boston(but live in Canada right now) so it might be worthwhile to check out when I move back...thanks....

http://www.massgeneral.org/omfs/services/treatmentprograms.aspx?id=1216

if you're still in Boston, you should definitely schedule a consult with Dr. Leonard Kaban
Chopsticks > Spoons

Lazlo

• Private
« Reply #17 on: January 11, 2013, 08:29:42 AM »
http://www.massgeneral.org/omfs/services/treatmentprograms.aspx?id=1216

if you're still in Boston, you should definitely schedule a consult with Dr. Leonard Kaban

thanks man, I'll hopefully be back in Boston sometime late spring summer to defend my thesis finally, so thanks for the suggestion! I also wanted to post this --he's one of the pioneers regarding distraction and WOW he can do a lot of amazing stuff. By the way, if you or anyone else has not yet had extractions of bicuspids(look it up if you don't know what I'm talking about) DON'T HAVE IT DONE(or at least get like 5 other opinions from surgeons and orthos).

Regardless, this quite clearly shows the lower jaw can be distracted width wise, lengthwise, as well as upper and all sorts of stuff. I'd browse the site a bit --and also this place looks like a real centre for this tye of thing which is really imp. because it would have designed protocols and a lot of experience instead of a doc who is just doing distraction on his own somewhere.
Also, I wonder since it's in Venezuela if the prices are better than North America.
It would be GREAT to talk to some patients who have visited this place/doctor and more examples.

http://www.distractionosteogenesis.com/

Kristen

• Private
« Reply #18 on: January 14, 2013, 11:12:53 AM »
No extractions!!!!!!       Run !!   Get other opinions.

Lazlo

• Private
« Reply #19 on: January 14, 2013, 12:49:04 PM »
s**t. My dentist told me I would need extractions, now I'm not sure if I should get them or look into this first.

DO NOT GET EXTRACTIONS. THEY WILL TELL YOU ALL SORTS OF THINGS TO JUSTIFY THEM. THERE ARE MANY ALTERNATIVE.
Dr. Jacobson at FCLA told me he could turn the molars out, do surgically assisted palatal expansion or even suggested DISTRACTION OSTEOGENESIS.

pekay

« Reply #20 on: January 25, 2013, 07:08:49 PM »
just learned that Dr. Fued Samir Salmen brazilian maxillofacial surgeon does jaw distraction

^ for all the future JSF brazilian members
Chopsticks > Spoons

pekay

« Reply #21 on: January 25, 2013, 07:15:56 PM »
meh not really that impressed

lower jaw distraction + Le Fort  + sliding genioplasty

Chopsticks > Spoons

Heavyweight

« Reply #22 on: January 25, 2013, 07:25:21 PM »
meh not really that impressed

lower jaw distraction + Le Fort  + sliding genioplasty

I think she needed more counterclockwise rotation.

pekay

« Reply #23 on: January 25, 2013, 07:28:14 PM »
I think she needed more counterclockwise rotation.

Yeah that seems to be case, we're probably a few years behind when it comes to jaw distraction

This woman had a far superior result with traditional surgery

is it even possible for a female to have a bad result?
Chopsticks > Spoons

Heavyweight

« Reply #24 on: January 25, 2013, 07:49:47 PM »
Yeah that seems to be case, we're probably a few years behind when it comes to jaw distraction

This woman had a far superior result with traditional surgery

is it even possible for a female to have a bad result?

This girl had a much bigger gummy smile than the first girl. That allowed her surgeon to rotate her jaws much more.

x

• Private
« Reply #25 on: January 27, 2013, 07:49:42 PM »
I think my current look is relatively similar to this woman's afters:

both the woman and I have a short ramus of the mandible and then the jaw kind of slopes downward and away, rather than the ideal of a 'square jaw' which seems to make a face much more attractive

what I'm wondering is, does distraction osteogenesis have the potential to lengthen the vertical length of the ramus and create that angle rather than a rounded jaw?
« Last Edit: January 27, 2013, 08:02:29 PM by x »

Lazlo

• Private
« Reply #26 on: May 12, 2013, 11:46:31 PM »
I think my current look is relatively similar to this woman's afters:

both the woman and I have a short ramus of the mandible and then the jaw kind of slopes downward and away, rather than the ideal of a 'square jaw' which seems to make a face much more attractive

what I'm wondering is, does distraction osteogenesis have the potential to lengthen the vertical length of the ramus and create that angle rather than a rounded jaw?

no

x

• Private
« Reply #27 on: May 12, 2013, 11:51:31 PM »
no
do you have a problem with me or something?

That post is months old AND you already gave me a respectful answer to it the first time. Try reading next time.

Lazlo

• Private
« Reply #28 on: May 12, 2013, 11:59:23 PM »
do you have a problem with me or something?

That post is months old AND you already gave me a respectful answer to it the first time. Try reading next time.

i don't have a problem with you, i was just updating my response --it's not possible through DO. take a chill pill.

x

• Private
« Reply #29 on: May 13, 2013, 12:01:33 AM »
i don't have a problem with you, i was just updating my response --it's not possible through DO. take a chill pill.
from my end it seemed curt and dismissive, sorry if i misunderstood

it's technically possible, although not realistic for any of us. what you said about the 'true' gonial angle coming out with advancement is definitely true

also I just got rejected so I feel like s**t.