Author Topic: Hot Take: Insurance Should be Required to Cover Surgery for Aesthetic Reasons  (Read 2173 times)

DubShark

The psychological impact of having a jaw deformity is a huge negative impact on the quality of life. Not only does it affect you internally but outward prejudices exist due to people's subconscious reactions to those whose faces are far enough out of the normal range. The psychologic terms are literally disgust and repulsion. People are disgusted by misshapen mouths and jaws.

See this article:

http://www.medicinaoral.com/medoralfree01/aop/53007.pdf

It is only a matter of time until someone is denied surgery because they have an "ok" bite and then commits or attempts suicide. This would be ripe territory for a tort lawsuit to change the general practice of approval for such a condition.

GJ

• Administrator
It is only a matter of time until someone is denied surgery because they have an "ok" bite and then commits or attempts suicide.

I'm sure this has already happened (many times) in the history of the world. No?
And how would anyone know? It's not exactly something reported.
Millimeters are miles on the face.

DubShark

Nothing of the kind of case I am discussing. All go back and forth disputing whether or not the insurance covered or fighting if it was necessary based on functional issues.

If trans people can acquire surgery for their psychologic conditions, why wouldn't individuals with facial deformities that are functional?
« Last Edit: March 15, 2021, 12:44:43 PM by GJ »

GJ

• Administrator
My comment was in regard to suicide. I'm sure someone has gotten declined and then killed themselves. The world is a large place; it's had to have happened.

I'm not against your premise. People should be able to get it for aesthetic reasons since that causes mental problems (and this is a waste to society).
Millimeters are miles on the face.

treevernal

• Private
I'd even be happy if it was required to be covered for functional reasons.  So many people have been denied jaw surgery coverage (myself included) for legitimate functional reasons simply due to the fact that their employer's health plan has a direct exclusion for jaw surgery.  They then have to delay major life decisions (buying a home) due to needing to use savings/loans to pay for surgery. 

I agree with you though and I see where you're coming from.  Especially since people who've eaten themselves into morbid obesity can get covered for gastric bypass AND often skin removal surgery after (my heart still goes out to these people though, this comparison isn't meant as a criticism).  However, people with legitimate jaw deformities cannot help it at all.