Author Topic: Revelotionary? 3d printed Custom cheek  (Read 918 times)

celest218

Revelotionary? 3d printed Custom cheek
« on: April 20, 2021, 07:18:24 PM »

Is this actually possible for long term? As we age our bone changes but the implant stays the same. Is an inter positional bone implant a good idea for those with zygoma defect? Here are photos and research in the link below

https://www.mdpi.com/1996-1944/13/20/4515/htm

Lazlo

• Private
Re: Revelotionary? 3d printed Custom cheek
« Reply #1 on: April 21, 2021, 03:16:10 AM »
that would be great. looks like korea is developing this. wonder if anyone in the west uses this? Kavan, you're a materials expert, right? Is this just stuff already being used here in the US?

GJ

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: April 21, 2021, 07:48:51 AM »
I'm not sure, but I'm heavily invested in 3D printing stocks and have been since Covid. This is not a recommendation to buy anything. I'm just saying, the technology moved forward a lot due to necessity, and it's on the cusp of mainstream, at least in manufacturing. So, given that, I'd say it's very likely we see it in jaw surgery and other dentistry very soon. I had a 3D printed crown 10 years ago. It was the first and only crown to ever break...not sure it was ready for prime time back then.
Millimeters are miles on the face.

Dutcherhatcher

• Private
« Reply #3 on: April 21, 2021, 11:41:30 AM »
I'm not sure, but I'm heavily invested in 3D printing stocks and have been since Covid. This is not a recommendation to buy anything. I'm just saying, the technology moved forward a lot due to necessity, and it's on the cusp of mainstream, at least in manufacturing. So, given that, I'd say it's very likely we see it in jaw surgery and other dentistry very soon. I had a 3D printed crown 10 years ago. It was the first and only crown to ever break...not sure it was ready for prime time back then.

When do you think (In theory) we would be able to either grow or implant real bone instead of implants?

kavan

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: April 21, 2021, 03:32:54 PM »
that would be great. looks like korea is developing this. wonder if anyone in the west uses this? Kavan, you're a materials expert, right? Is this just stuff already being used here in the US?

Ceramics (the material in the article) can be bio compatible and 3-D printing can be used to make a ceramic custom implant. But I don't keep abreast with who's using what in the US for implants.
Please. No PMs for private advice. Board issues only.

GJ

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: April 21, 2021, 05:55:13 PM »
When do you think (In theory) we would be able to either grow or implant real bone instead of implants?

I think we can already do that. It's just not yet mainstream. Maybe it's FDA/govt issue or something like this...

Even some surgeons consider HA "bone-like" to the point they believe it's the same as bone.

Covid really pulled forward 3D printing on the corporate/industrial/scientific levels, which is where it is most useful. That movement a few years ago to 3D print at home is really not where it's at in terms of value-added to the economy. It's best purpose is one offs (e.g. medical in our case) and supply chain supplement.

So at the worst we're on the precipice.
Millimeters are miles on the face.