Author Topic: 10 different surgeons, 10 different opinions! What surgery do I really need?  (Read 3129 times)

kavan

• Global Moderator
Or HA can fill any step off.

That be true. But HA + genio harder to UNDO if she doesn't like it than would be the chin implant.
Please. No PMs for private advice. Board issues only.

Lazlo

• Private
as for an aesthetic improvement only djs with an aggressive genioplasty will help your profile. But you'll probably be gorgeous and very pleased with the results.

Jawena2021

Thanks again for your replies, GJ, Kavan and Lazlo! I really appreciate you taking the time.

I apologise for the misleading thread name.

No, only one out of 4 surgeons suggested to avoid the CCW posterior downgraft but that could also be due to the fact that I already had two consultations with him. The other three only said I need a Bimax and didn’t say anything about my TMJs.
This confuses me as well and kind of gives me the feeling I shouldn’t do the surgery with them because they obviously didn’t see how bad my joints look.

„Not to mention short roots to upper teeth make the Lefort more risky and need for gum grafting to lowers adds complexity to this.“
What do you mean? My upper teeth have short roots? None of the surgeon mentioned that. The only thing some mentioned was the gum grafting to lowers.

The thing is, of course I would like to have better defined jaw angles and reduce the high mandibular plane angle but what bothers me the most is my receding chin and the long face appearance. I also did a lot of research regarding chin implants but I don’t really like the results.
With a chin implant it is also not possible to shorten the face, it can give the illusion of an even longer face in my opinion, which I really don’t like.
That is why I think maybe the Genio could work for me but on the other hand it really confuses me because the surgeons who suggested a Bimax didn’t say „yeah, Genio could work as well but the Bimax will give you the better results“ , they were convinced it won’t look good if I only do the Genio.
I think the step of from the Genio can be prevented with making the cut a bit further behind (mini mini ching wing). Also it depends on how much you advance it. If you advance it like it is in an ideal profile, I think this is impossible with only the Genio but without too much forward movement and when you start further behind, I think it will be one line. Right?
Do you think the Genio will be possible even though I have root resorption?

Here is a short summary from the surgeon who suggested the djs but with the anterior impaction:
- vertical height access in the upper jaw, occlusive plane is very steep, protrusive lower incisors and a long chin, all this together gives a long face.
We will have to work on all these sections:
1) Lefort 1 of impaction, mostly anterior
2) sagittal split to leave the occlusion as it is
3) Genioplasty
He also made a simulation but I am not sure If I am allowed to post this here. Maybe I can send it via message?
He also mentioned that he would like to bring the disk back in position (TMJ surgery) and that can be done together with orthognathic surgery.

Is the nose change so often and so obvious?
I thought you can prevent it with some sutures. One surgeon said that I could even benefit if the nose will become a bit wider because this goes on with the elongation of the face that the nose is narrow, just like the face is narrow. So if broaden a little bit, Lefort 1/Genioplasty, you shorten the face, this will be a bit better but of course within limits.
« Last Edit: June 02, 2021, 03:52:32 AM by Jawena2021 »

GJ

• Administrator
They can limit the nose widening by using an alar cinch, but still expect it to widen 1mm at least.

The root resorption shouldn't effect grafting. It might if the teeth are loose, but my guess is they aren't. Yes, your upper incisors have short roots. This is due to trauma. They likely were banging into each other at some point. It can also be due to excessive time in braces or improper forces used while moving the teeth with braces. Braces are pathological.
Millimeters are miles on the face.

kavan

• Global Moderator
Thanks again for your replies, GJ, Kavan and Lazlo! I really appreciate you taking the time.

I apologise for the misleading thread name.

No, only one out of 4 surgeons suggested to avoid the CCW posterior downgraft but that could also be due to the fact that I already had two consultations with him. The other three only said I need a Bimax and didn’t say anything about my TMJs.
This confuses me as well and kind of gives me the feeling I shouldn’t do the surgery with them because they obviously didn’t see how bad my joints look.

„Not to mention short roots to upper teeth make the Lefort more risky and need for gum grafting to lowers adds complexity to this.“
What do you mean? My upper teeth have short roots? None of the surgeon mentioned that. The only thing some mentioned was the gum grafting to lowers.

The thing is, of course I would like to have better defined jaw angles and reduce the high mandibular plane angle but what bothers me the most is my receding chin and the long face appearance. I also did a lot of research regarding chin implants but I don’t really like the results.
With a chin implant it is also not possible to shorten the face, it can give the illusion of an even longer face in my opinion, which I really don’t like.
That is why I think maybe the Genio could work for me but on the other hand it really confuses me because the surgeons who suggested a Bimax didn’t say „yeah, Genio could work as well but the Bimax will give you the better results“ , they were convinced it won’t look good if I only do the Genio.
I think the step of from the Genio can be prevented with making the cut a bit further behind (mini mini ching wing). Also it depends on how much you advance it. If you advance it like it is in an ideal profile, I think this is impossible with only the Genio but without too much forward movement and when you start further behind, I think it will be one line. Right?
Do you think the Genio will be possible even though I have root resorption?

Here is a short summary from the surgeon who suggested the djs but with the anterior impaction:
- vertical height access in the upper jaw, occlusive plane is very steep, protrusive lower incisors and a long chin, all this together gives a long face.
We will have to work on all these sections:
1) Lefort 1 of impaction, mostly anterior
2) sagittal split to leave the occlusion as it is
3) Genioplasty
He also made a simulation but I am not sure If I am allowed to post this here. Maybe I can send it via message?
He also mentioned that he would like to bring the disk back in position (TMJ surgery) and that can be done together with orthognathic surgery.

Is the nose change so often and so obvious?
I thought you can prevent it with some sutures. One surgeon said that I could even benefit if the nose will become a bit wider because this goes on with the elongation of the face that the nose is narrow, just like the face is narrow. So if broaden a little bit, Lefort 1/Genioplasty, you shorten the face, this will be a bit better but of course within limits.

Some notes:

1: Let me make clear that an opinion based on aesthetic correction ALONE is a type of opinion you
can get on this board. Often, that opinion CAN be or is also validated by the type of doctors who
perform the type of surgeries that address  observations and advice made on this board. The most
common example of that is that when observations of corrections RESOLVE to a handful of doctors who
are known for doing POSTERIOR DOWNGRAFT surgeries for the CCW. So, IF all I did was look at your
photo and did not take into consideration the collective feedback you got from ALL the doctors, I
would have the same opinion as Lazlo which is that you would benefit from CCW (posterior downgraft)
and genio double jaw surgery. However, I did more than just look at your photos. I took into consideration the MEDICAL feedback you got from the conglomerate of doctors and gave a lot of weight to to the extremes of the spectrum as to pick up 'warning signals' given the mention of the need for total jaw joint replacement and also the suggestion for an isolated genio and nothing more.

2: You have consulted with 10 (un named) doctors. You relay that ALL of them basically recognize
same/similar aesthetic deviations that validate you have those things. In fact you make clear that
NO doctor is invalidating them and they ALL recognize same/similar deviations from the ideal. BUT DIFFER ON HOW TO TREAT.

...... They ALL confirmed my mandible retrusion, my receding chin and my long face appearance. The

only thing that was different was how they wanted to treat it. ....

3: You request help on making a decision on this board and with REFERENCE to these 10 different doctors with differing opinions. To that regard, I take into consideration the COLLECTIVE information and suggestions from ALL of the doctors.  As the string got longer with feedback to you and you clarified some things that were not really clear in your initial post, I STILL take into consideration the COLLECTIVE feedback you got from ALL the doctors. But still, my advice as to which procedure to choose does NOT change. Why not? BECAUSE consideration of the COLLECTIVE feedback from the doctors includes 2 sides of the spectrum; the extreme 'most to do' one which suggests a total joint replacement and the very conservative low risk one with is genio only (via by sliding genio or implant).

4: Continuation of #3. IF the doctor in the US who suggested total joint replacement happens to be Wolford (or a close protege of his) whereas Wolford is ALSO an EXPERT in posterior downgraft CCW-r which is the type of surgery that DOES have a good effect on reducing the a high inclined MPA, minimizes the maxillary advancements that could result in unfavorable nose changes and also maximizes the mandibular advancements, I place a LOT of weight on his observation of the TMJ. Doesn't mean I'm suggesting it. What it means is that I consider it a very SALIENT observation and one that tells me you are NOT the best (medical) candidate for the CCW posterior downgraft DJS that OTHERS who have NO TMJ issues are candidates for. As to the other side of the spectrum (chin augmentation only), that conveys to me that the doctors suggestion genio ALONE, very well could have taken the same/similar observation into consideration that the joint replacement doctor made and also taking into consideration OTHER potential risks (that you present which other patients don't have) in the suggestion of chin augmentation only. This is especially so given you relay that ALL the doctors validate the aesthetic issues you cite (and can be seen via looking at your photos) but they differ on surgical suggestions.

STOP HERE to RECAP some very SALIENT things: VALIDATION by ALL the doctors that you have aesthetic deviations from the ideal DOES NOT also validate that you are the 'ideal' candidate to pursue correction of all of them them via double jaw surgery (with CCW posterior downgraft) which just happens to be THE way your aesthetic deviations COULD be corrected IF there was NOTHING about your POTENTIAL RISKS to do so. So, when I look at the CONGLOMERATE of ALL the opinions, difference in opinions as to HOW to procede result from observation of potential risks UNIQUE to YOU. There is no need for me to address each and every opinion of all of these doctors when the CONGLOMERATE of all the advice reflects that you are not the ideal SURGICAL  candidate for the DJS with (significant) ccw-r posterior downgraft. If you were, there would be no extremes to the spectrum as to total joint replacement and genio ONLY suggestion.

5: As to the 'in between' of the extreme sides of the spectrum, some of them are ways to 'get around' giving some ccw-r but via anterior impaction where the advice also discloses that such would need to be followed by a jaw implant to LOWER the posterior border of the mandible to visually reduce the inclination of the MPA which would be so BECAUSE the don't see the candidacy for the posterior downgraft CCW-r. Others suggest just the Lefort ccw-r anterior impaction (and maybe genio with that) as to get the lower jaw to auto rotate and so on. But NOT 'because' that's the 'magic bullet' for you but rather because it's a WORK AROUND your potential risks the ones that preclude the real magic bullet which would be a significant ccw-r posterior downgraft and so preclude due to the TMJ problem.

6: Again, no need for me to address questions about what each said when I observe the CONGLOMERATE of advice recognizes what the aesthetic deviations are but ALSO recognizes the 'problem set' you present with where some RISKS are observed and/or you need to do this that and the other thing before or after as a contingency whereas if you didn't have that particular problem set you would be a good candidate for the 'magic bullet' type of CCW-r (posterior downgraft) surgery.

7: As to 'short roots' and 'no doctor told you that':

Short roots (some root absorption to the front incisors) was an observation GJ made

which I took into consideration as an extra risk factor to a DJS and especially so if it's one where

braces are needed to prepare for it which is often the case.

..... your front incisors have blunting/root resorption. .....

Your root resorption will limit what you can do with braces. Have they told you this? They're short,

and losing teeth might be an issue with more orthodontics. That short root will have to move through

bone to set you up for surgery, and that will result in more root loss. You should ask several

orthos about this before starting treatment.

All that said, and yes, this does take me TIME to think about it and write it out (and with little reward via a karma point (applaud mind you), I would narrow down the choices to 2 of them for you to make on YOUR part. However, from MY perspective, I would suggest the one with the LEAST risk and the EASIEST to undo or otherwise revise in the event you were not satisfied which would be just the genio. The other choice (which personally, I would not choose given the conglomerate of advice that reveals preclusions and precautions!) is the one with the HIGHEST risk which would be the DJS that is closest to Lefort with CCW-r posterior downgrafting as to minimize possible unwanted nose changes when the maxilla is also advanced (in addition to rotating it), maximize the lower jaw advancement and minimize the high inclination of the MPA (in absence of needing a jaw implant to the posterior jaw angle to lower it which would be needed with just the anterior impaction ccw-r). So, which ever doctor is offering the HIGHER risk one with all the contingencies before and/or after you would need to agree to to have it would be the once consistent with the aesthetic 'ideal'.

Hence, it's a matter of what RISKS you want to take. Unfortunately the risks and all the contingencies involved just to take them are those with the highest aesthetic pay off IF you 'win' and don't experience the risks that a number of doctors SEE as potential ones. But you lose if they occur. It's kind of like betting. The higher the likelihood of losing, the higher the pay-off IF you win and beat the odds. So, that's YOUR shot to call whether you want to take the highest risks for the potential highest pay-off.

Personally, my advice would be to go for the LOWEST RISK procedure that yields some improvement which is JUST the chin advancement (and NO bone cuts to either maxilla or mandible with it). In the event the payoff of JUST THAT is not enough to accommodate the aesthetic 'ideal', then it would be the DOCTORS who suggested DJS who's task it would be to convince you on taking them up on their offer or to clarify any questions you have about it. That's because the ball is in THE COURT of those that suggest the DJS to  address questions or concerns about it at this point. It isn't in mine because I'm not suggesting it given the conglomerate of medical advice where personally, I would take very seriously given that some of the other medicos are not encouraging it due to some medical preclusions/risk factors they see that differentiate you from from others who might present with the same aesthetic situation but NOT the same dental/TMJ situation going into it.

Jawena2021

Wow,  thank you so so much for your replies! I really appreciate it. I can see that this took a lot of time - the applaud is definitely more than well deserved!

Your notes all make sense and I understand your point of view.

I went through all my notes again this morning (I have two full folders already with all the information from my appointments) and I thought it would be a good idea to sum it up one more time. Because one thing I wanted to mention is that not all the doctors who suggested a Genio based their opinion on a possible treatment on the fact that my TMJs are not healthy, my gum is very hin or I have some root resorption. I had the feeling they just suggested it and didn’t even properly look at my CT scan or my teeth/occlusion. Of course not all of them, but some of them.

1) The first surgeon I visited suggested a Genioplasty and he didn’t say anything about my TMJs or my gingival situation. The thing I liked about him was his technique because he mentioned that he wouldn’t detach the mentalist muscle which will prevent the chin from dropping („witch chin“).

2) The second surgeon suggested a chin implant. But he was very open regarding other possibilities. However he also mentioned that he wouldn’t suggest the Bimax because my occlusion is really good already.

3) The third surgeon suggested the Lefort 1 and the Genioplasty.  The one thing I am not sure about is the Lefort 1 because as GJ mentioned the most unaesthetic changes can occur. But he also didn’t see or didn’t mention (?) my TMJ situation. He said the following: „Your teeth are beautiful, the occlusion is fine, so I will not aim to change that at all. But to keep the bite where it is now, we need some arms to fight, to hold the occlusion. The safest is to have brackets on the teeth and then you can manage during the surgery when you put the jaws together or after surgery with some Elastics you can guide the Bite in the old position. If you don’t want to get braces on, I need to put on an Iron Bar on the gingival margin for a period of one month.“
That leaves me to the conclusion that he isn’t afraid of the health of my teeth because he considers the braces or the iron bar (which I am not sure what it is, to be honest?).
But he was also the one who didn’t suggest to advance the mandible due to my thin skin appearance (risk —> cascade of irregularities)

4) The next surgeon I visited was a strange experience. I didn’t even had the chance to talk to him (just for a few minutes), only to his wife. She suggest jaw surgery, jaw implants as well as cheek implants. I would never do that.

5) The 5th surgeon suggested the djs with the anterior impaction. He was also the first one who noticed how bad my TMJs look. He mentioned I can decide whether I want to wear braces again or not. He said he can also leave the occlusion as it is.

6) The next surgeon was really cautious. He agreed that the best treatment would have been the djs but since my occlusion is now fixed after having braces, he wouldn’t suggest it anymore. He said the Genio would be the best option now but it would be a compromise since we would try to solve a complex problem with one isolated surgery.

7) The next surgeon is a really famous one but unfortunately he didn’t mention my bad TMJs or my gum/teeth situation even though I sent all my records. But I also only had one consultation via Skype with him. He suggested a Bimax (surgery first) with maxillary and mandibular osteotomy and a possible genioplasty.

8 ) The next surgeon suggested a Chin Wing. We had another call after a week and then he suggested jaw surgery as well as the chin wing. But he also didn’t mention my TMJ/gum situation. Could be due to the fact that he said my CT scan isn’t the best and he requested doing a new one. Maybe he uses a different program.

9) The next surgeon also suggested a chin implant. I didn’t like him at all, so the appointment was really short and not really helpful.

10) The last surgeon I talked to suggested the total joint replacement. And it was not Wolford. When reading my notes again this morning one question regarding the genie came to my mind…
„ Your angel is very steep. When you look at it in relationship to the lower teeth have been moved out and you don‘t have hardly any bone on the facial aspect. Ideally we would have these teeth uprighted so they were almost at 90 degrees to this line and to do that you would have to have some teeth brought back and maybe you need to have some grafting on the bone of these anterior front teeth, otherwise you would be prone to loosing them especially if we choose to do a genioplasty. The thing that I wanna put out to you is your lower incisor angulation is about 104 degrees it should be 90 to 95 so that’s 3 or 4mm that you would actually be able to advance the lower jaw if you had the teeth removed and it would also probably mean you wouldn’t have to have your chin done.
Because as those teeth came back the chin becomes more prominent, more shapelier.
I am just really worried about the health of these teeth especially if we had to do a genioplasty in advance. I am afraid that you would loose all of this gum tissue attached and then these teeth could be compromised.

If I understand correctly - and please correct me if I am wrong -  the situation of my teeth would be a problem for the genioplasty? My orthdontist here in Germany scheduled a meeting together with an oral surgeon and a periodontist expert and she confirmed that my gum is really thin, especially in my lower jaw. She suggested a gum augmentation, but no grafting. Grafting is not very usual in Germany so I think it won’t be easy to find a doctor here. Now my question is: after receiving your advice, which I highly appreciate, I think the Genio alone might be the best option (maybe not the best outcome, but the safest and hopefully some improvement) but would it be even possible to do the Genio - of course after the gum augmentation?

Here is another picture, totally unedited, after the first time I had fillers to my chin. In the beginning it looked great, but unfortunately it doesn’t stay like that, it kinda saggs down which emphasizes the steep angel even more, if that makes sense.  But if the outcome of the Genio would look somehow like that, I would be really happy.

The thing that worries me the most at the moment about the genioplasty is that the surgeons I talked to either say go for the Bimax or go for the Genio.
Especially the surgeons who recommend the djs have a very, very negative attitude towards only the Genio.
And it is so hard for me to differentiate if that is because they want to sell me their surgery or if they really believe it would be a failure in my case.
But if second is the case, I don’t understand why? Of course the djs (if it would turn out good) would be the ideal solution, but I believe the Genio could be also an option for me.
And maybe the Genio doesn’t look good with a high angle case like mine, but whenever I edit a picture or even the ones from the surgeon the steep mandible does look improved to me - at least it gives the illusion of an improvement.

Sorry if my english is not the best!
« Last Edit: June 06, 2021, 04:47:35 AM by Jawena2021 »

InvisalignOnly

You look great, you have no functional problems, surgery is risky... I would do nothing. At the very least, you could take a break of at least 6 months before deciding - you have lots of opinions from surgeons now, you're still young, surgery is not going anywhere.

kavan

• Global Moderator
Wow,  thank you so so much for your replies! I really appreciate it. I can see that this took a lot of time - the applaud is definitely more than well deserved!

Your notes all make sense and I understand your point of view.

I went through all my notes again this morning (I have two full folders already with all the information from my appointments) and I thought it would be a good idea to sum it up one more time. Because one thing I wanted to mention is that not all the doctors who suggested a Genio based their opinion on a possible treatment on the fact that my TMJs are not healthy, my gum is very hin or I have some root resorption. I had the feeling they just suggested it and didn’t even properly look at my CT scan or my teeth/occlusion. Of course not all of them, but some of them.

1) The first surgeon I visited suggested a Genioplasty and he didn’t say anything about my TMJs or my gingival situation. The thing I liked about him was his technique because he mentioned that he wouldn’t detach the mentalist muscle which will prevent the chin from dropping („witch chin“).

2) The second surgeon suggested a chin implant. But he was very open regarding other possibilities. However he also mentioned that he wouldn’t suggest the Bimax because my occlusion is really good already.

3) The third surgeon suggested the Lefort 1 and the Genioplasty.  The one thing I am not sure about is the Lefort 1 because as GJ mentioned the most unaesthetic changes can occur. But he also didn’t see or didn’t mention (?) my TMJ situation. He said the following: „Your teeth are beautiful, the occlusion is fine, so I will not aim to change that at all. But to keep the bite where it is now, we need some arms to fight, to hold the occlusion. The safest is to have brackets on the teeth and then you can manage during the surgery when you put the jaws together or after surgery with some Elastics you can guide the Bite in the old position. If you don’t want to get braces on, I need to put on an Iron Bar on the gingival margin for a period of one month.“
That leaves me to the conclusion that he isn’t afraid of the health of my teeth because he considers the braces or the iron bar (which I am not sure what it is, to be honest?).
But he was also the one who didn’t suggest to advance the mandible due to my thin skin appearance (risk —> cascade of irregularities)

4) The next surgeon I visited was a strange experience. I didn’t even had the chance to talk to him (just for a few minutes), only to his wife. She suggest jaw surgery, jaw implants as well as cheek implants. I would never do that.

5) The 5th surgeon suggested the djs with the anterior impaction. He was also the first one who noticed how bad my TMJs look. He mentioned I can decide whether I want to wear braces again or not. He said he can also leave the occlusion as it is.

6) The next surgeon was really cautious. He agreed that the best treatment would have been the djs but since my occlusion is now fixed after having braces, he wouldn’t suggest it anymore. He said the Genio would be the best option now but it would be a compromise since we would try to solve a complex problem with one isolated surgery.

7) The next surgeon is a really famous one but unfortunately he didn’t mention my bad TMJs or my gum/teeth situation even though I sent all my records. But I also only had one consultation via Skype with him. He suggested a Bimax (surgery first) with maxillary and mandibular osteotomy and a possible genioplasty.

8 ) The next surgeon suggested a Chin Wing. We had another call after a week and then he suggested jaw surgery as well as the chin wing. But he also didn’t mention my TMJ/gum situation. Could be due to the fact that he said my CT scan isn’t the best and he requested doing a new one. Maybe he uses a different program.

9) The next surgeon also suggested a chin implant. I didn’t like him at all, so the appointment was really short and not really helpful.

10) The last surgeon I talked to suggested the total joint replacement. And it was not Wolford. When reading my notes again this morning one question regarding the genie came to my mind…
„ Your angel is very steep. When you look at it in relationship to the lower teeth have been moved out and you don‘t have hardly any bone on the facial aspect. Ideally we would have these teeth uprighted so they were almost at 90 degrees to this line and to do that you would have to have some teeth brought back and maybe you need to have some grafting on the bone of these anterior front teeth, otherwise you would be prone to loosing them especially if we choose to do a genioplasty. The thing that I wanna put out to you is your lower incisor angulation is about 104 degrees it should be 90 to 95 so that’s 3 or 4mm that you would actually be able to advance the lower jaw if you had the teeth removed and it would also probably mean you wouldn’t have to have your chin done.
Because as those teeth came back the chin becomes more prominent, more shapelier.
I am just really worried about the health of these teeth especially if we had to do a genioplasty in advance. I am afraid that you would loose all of this gum tissue attached and then these teeth could be compromised.

If I understand correctly - and please correct me if I am wrong -  the situation of my teeth would be a problem for the genioplasty? My orthdontist here in Germany scheduled a meeting together with an oral surgeon and a periodontist expert and she confirmed that my gum is really thin, especially in my lower jaw. She suggested a gum augmentation, but no grafting. Grafting is not very usual in Germany so I think it won’t be easy to find a doctor here. Now my question is: after receiving your advice, which I highly appreciate, I think the Genio alone might be the best option (maybe not the best outcome, but the safest and hopefully some improvement) but would it be even possible to do the Genio - of course after the gum augmentation?

Here is another picture, totally unedited, after the first time I had fillers to my chin. In the beginning it looked great, but unfortunately it doesn’t stay like that, it kinda saggs down which emphasizes the steep angel even more, if that makes sense.  But if the outcome of the Genio would look somehow like that, I would be really happy.

The thing that worries me the most at the moment about the genioplasty is that the surgeons I talked to either say go for the Bimax or go for the Genio.
Especially the surgeons who recommend the djs have a very, very negative attitude towards only the Genio.
And it is so hard for me to differentiate if that is because they want to sell me their surgery or if they really believe it would be a failure in my case.
But if second is the case, I don’t understand why? Of course the djs (if it would turn out good) would be the ideal solution, but I believe the Genio could be also an option for me.
And maybe the Genio doesn’t look good with a high angle case like mine, but whenever I edit a picture or even the ones from the surgeon the steep mandible does look improved to me - at least it gives the illusion of an improvement.

Sorry if my english is not the best!

Hi,
It's quite a task to attempt to unconfuse you amoung 10 different doctors telling you different things. My concern is this could go down a  'rat hole' if I attempt to explain something in terms of angle relationships and then THAT kicks up more confusion which often does and then positions me to fill in elementary geometry concepts because those things are not under belt. So, I'm going to operate on the assumption that you have some basic geometrical concepts underbelt. Also, I will LIMIT my assessment to 2 surgeons; #1 who suggests the genio and #10 who scared you about the genio. The others are all somewhere between those two and the task to differentiate between all of them to clear up confusion of all 10 is not something I'm offering to take on.

First and formost, my suggestion is for the genio; a SLIDING GENIO  involves a (positive slope) diagonal cut with 2 displacement vectors; vertically UPWARD and horizontally OUTWARD. That would SHORTEN your chin and ALSO advance forward and give somewhat of the 'look' of a less inclined mandibular plane angle. That is because the MPA is measured from LINE formed by a point at the BASE of chin (menton, ME) to a point to the back angle of the jaw (gonian GO) whereas this line is measured RELATIVE to a horizontal to form the ANGLE known as the MPA. So, when the chin is displaced in an UPWARD and OUTWARD combination of displacement vectors, the BASE of chin (and the ME point found there) will shift upwards and hence the LINE formed by ME-GO relative to a horizontal forms gives appearance of a LESS inclined MPA.

As to this sliding genio, IMO, it is best to do it with a SUBMENTAL approach which means cut under the chin and not one inside the mouth because sometimes the cut made inside the mouth can result in more lower tooth show because there is disruption to some attachment there whereas the one done via under chin incision preserves that attachment. Not to mention it doesn't disrupt near the lower teeth because the cut is NOT NEAR THEM.

It very much appears that Surgeon #1's statement that he would not be disrupting the the attachment of the mentalis muscle implies he's not going to make the incision inside the mouth. Hence, you would not have to worry about thin gum tissue to the lower teeth or much else about altering the integrity of the lower teeth via an incision that is NOT NEAR THEM. Also, surgeon #10 who is kicking up concerns about a genio, most likely is referring to one done via an incision INSIDE THE MOUTH. I shall discuss that later down the line.

Correction of 'witches chin' or even prevention of that is often done via the incision under the chin. Sometimes, that involves removal of an errant flesh pad; some soft tissue that kind of 'hangs down' past the chin bone. Although the sliding genio can result in a step off, the surgeon has the option of contouring part of the bone to mitigate it, using HA paste or granules to mitigate it OR just leaving it there where it can be MASKED with FILLER.

The sliding genio should NEVER attempt to compensate for mandibular recession. That means that a point on the chin, the pogonian; POG point, (a different one than the other two I mentioned prior) should go NO FURTHER than the chin recession ITSELF. So, the genio would be ONLY to address the recession at the chin as to put the chin (and it's outer most POG point) where it should/could be FOR THE CHIN and this is so EVEN IF the mandible is also recessed. Where to put the POG point in a sliding genio is relative to a vertical dropped down from the lower lip. In a female, the POG point should be found BEHIND that line. Even if it can't be brought forward enough to get where it 'should be' (which can be the case when the more you go OUTWARDS, the more you go UPWARDS where the upward displacement vector would make chin too short and/or make too big of a step off), it STILL is an IMPROVEMENT for someone (like you) who has some chin recession and also extra length to the chin. Very likely it would give more advancement than FILLER does and will decrease extra longness to chin which filler DOES NOT do.

That said, suggestion from surgeon # 1 is the CLOSEST suggestion to MINE which is why I'm more inclined to elaborate on that more than I am to elaborate on suggestion of others which I don't suggest myself.
-----

Now, I will choose ONE OTHER of these 10 (because it's quite a task to attempt to un-confuse as to all of them). But if you are still confused by what the others told you, it would be YOUR task to reconsult with the surgeon/s and ask them to un-confuse you based on what each and every other surgeon told you.I have selected Surgeon #10 for my comparison.

Surgeon #10 is telling you something in reference to the POG point (outer most point of the chin) and also in reference to (double?) jaw surgery involving a BSSO, in particular the BSSO. When you get a BSSO, they can bring the POG point out without having to also do a genio and/or they can do a very minimal one when the BSSO does most of the advancement of the POG point.

He's telling you your lower teeth are PROCLINED too  far relative to the POG point and also that an angle formed from the lower incisor line and the mandibular line (ME-GO), which together form the lower incisor inclination angle, are in excess of the optimal 90 degree angle which is why he suggests PUSHING THEM BACK to UPRIGHT them in order to perform the BSSO.

I've included an approx. illustration to this regard. It' isn't exact but it gives an idea of what is being referred to when he says your lower incisor line ,relative to to mandibular line which both together form the lower incisor angulation and notes it's more than the optimal angle.

OK, that's true BUT uprighting the lower front teeth when they are PROCLINED as they are involves EXTRACTION of a pre-molar to do it because it's pretty hard to push the lower front teeth back when there is not enough room to do it and making room involves pre-molar EXTRACTION. In addition to TOOTH LOSS when your bite has already been made right, these lower incisor teeth would have to be brought back with BRACES and the push back of the braces THEMSELVES will stress the lower teeth, and kick up more root show exposure than they have now. That in turn introduces the CONTINGENCY of GUM GRAFTING because not only does he want to pluck out your (1rst) premolar teeth to do do it but he also wants you to get gum grafting so he can do it. So, this suggestion TAXES the stability of your lower teeth and to COMPENSATE for the AMOUNT he's going to TAX the stability of the lower teeth, enter the contingency of gum grafting and who knows if it will tax the gum graft you get just to do it. So, OF course, IF you get the genio (which would most likely be via an INSIDE THE MOUTH incision) in addition to all this TAXING and STRESSING the lower teeth he's anticipating doing in order to get the BSSO to put the POG point where it is better put, you can risk losing the lower teeth. Basically, he's referring to doing the BSSO to advance the POG point and doing it without a genio in a situation where IF he also added the genio (via the incision inside the mouth) along with what he's doing which is ALREADY TAXING the integrity of the lower teeth, you very well could lose the lower teeth.

Also, the fact that this was the surgeon who suggested a total jaw replacement because of the issues with the TMJ tells me he won't be doing the 'magic bullet' surgery which is CCW-r via POSTERIOR DOWNGRAFT which just happens to be the type of CCW-r that would benefit you greatly IF YOU DID NOT HAVE the type of TMJ issues that PRECLUDE IT. So, in effect, he can't offer you the type of surgery that would decrease your high MPA because it's a 'no no' when someone has TMJ issues. So, IMO, his 'work around' that issue is TOO MUCH for not enough potential gain. That is so because he can't maximize your potential gain due to the preclusion of the TMJ problem.

Now, remember what I said prior about the sliding genio, especially the part where the incision to do it is made UNDER THE CHIN which is the approach that does NOT TAX or stress the integrity of the lower teeth whereas the incision inside the mouth disrupts an attachment quite close to the lower teeth. Now GUESS WHERE the incision would be for a genio WHEN a BSSO is ALSO performed. You got it. It's INSIDE MOUTH. So, OF COURSE, if he goes on to perform the genio via the incision inside the mouth along with the TAXING and STRESSING of the lower teeth that he needs to perform just to do the BSSO, then that indeed increases the risk of losing the lower teeth in your case given the roots are already exposed. He will also be taxing the short root upper teeth with braces too.

As to his suggestion of a joint replacement, this is most likely another way of telling you he can't do the 'magic bullet' type of surgery (due to your TMJs) which is the ccw-POSTERIOR DOWNGRAFT where as that is THE ONE that would work best for you IF you didn't have the TMJ preclusion to doing it. However, IMO, his work around SUBJECTS you to TOO MUCH for VERY LITTLE so WHY BOTHER.

Ya, his surgery would kick up more advancement of the POG point via the BSSO than the genio alone. But I don't think the conditions/contingencies (losing pre-molars, taxing root exposed teeth further via braces and having to get gum grafting just to do it) are worth it. Quite a lot to SUBJECT yourself to in a situation where your TMJs PRECLUDE you from getting the magic bullet ccw-r posterior downgraft.

I would conclude that the genio he is against doing is the genio one does not have to do when they can bring out the POG point to the chin with the BSSO alone. I would also conclude that the reference as to avoiding this genio because it could further compromise the lower teeth (in addition to what he wants to do to do the BSSO which in it's own right will compromise the lower teeth) refers to doing via a cut INSIDE THE MOUTH which indeed IF added with the other ways he's going to TAX the integrity of your lower teeth results in a high risk of tooth loss (in addition to the 2 pre-molars he's going to pluck out to get the braces to push back your teeth.) Hence, his reference to genio avoidance resolves to a reference of one done via an incision INSIDE the mouth which would disrupt the integrity of your lower teeth EVEN MORE that the rest of his surgery TAXES it already. It is unlikely he's referring to a genio performed via an incision under the chin as surgeon #1 seems to be suggesting.

In general, I find that the surgeons who do the 'magic bullet' CCW-r surgery with the POSTERIOR DOWN GRAFT, don't have to worry/be that concerned about potential adverse sequella with a genio included. But that's BECAUSE it's the ccw- posterior downgraft which in turn is the very thing that ALLOWS them to advance out the POG point to the chin WITHOUT a genio (or with a very small one). In your situation with the TMJ's, you CAN'T HAVE the very thing that brings out the POG point and gives it much ccw-r 'upward' rotation and the SACRIFICE to you for the BSSO to advance out the POG point because the TMJs preclude the CCW-r posterior downgraft to do it, IMO, is too much to go through; tooth loss, braces further taxing the lower teeth and potential dissatisfaction with loss of feminine gum show via the anterior impaction.

All that said, it does NOT change my suggestion for the genio only. Surgeon's #1 suggestion is the closest to my own. I have given my reasoning for this. It's very likely Surgeon #1 would do the incision under the chin given he said he wouldn't detach the mentalis muscle (too much stripping from the bone via the inside the mouth incision can contribute to witches chin). So, I would conclude that surgeon #10 is referring to a genio via inside the mouth incision and surgeon #1 is referring to one performed via a cut UNDER the chin. If that's true (and you could check with surgeon #1) then you don't have to worry about applying Surgeon #10's warning about a genio to Surgeon #1's suggestion of genio only. Surgeon #10's warning about genio is most likely in reference to doing it WITH the BSSO (along with all the tooth integrity TAXING that goes with his surgery) and doing it via an incision inside the mouth. Those warnings don't relate to performing the genio via an incision under the chin which is the likely one #1 would be using.

In closing, the genio ALONE would veer in direction of what you like to your chin when you use the filler. Might even be better than that given the vertical displacement vector that shortens the chin would decrease the visual length of the face from the front and also visually decrease the inclination of the high MPA. Any step off could be masked/streamlined with filler.

Illustration included with this post.

« Last Edit: June 03, 2021, 04:12:18 PM by kavan »

Lazlo

• Private
go with the surgeon who recommends both bimax and genio

Jawena2021

Hi,
It's quite a task to attempt to unconfuse you amoung 10 different doctors telling you different things. My concern is this could go down a  'rat hole' if I attempt to explain something in terms of angle relationships and then THAT kicks up more confusion which often does and then positions me to fill in elementary geometry concepts because those things are not under belt. So, I'm going to operate on the assumption that you have some basic geometrical concepts underbelt. Also, I will LIMIT my assessment to 2 surgeons; #1 who suggests the genio and #10 who scared you about the genio. The others are all somewhere between those two and the task to differentiate between all of them to clear up confusion of all 10 is not something I'm offering to take on.

First and formost, my suggestion is for the genio; a SLIDING GENIO  involves a (positive slope) diagonal cut with 2 displacement vectors; vertically UPWARD and horizontally OUTWARD. That would SHORTEN your chin and ALSO advance forward and give somewhat of the 'look' of a less inclined mandibular plane angle. That is because the MPA is measured from LINE formed by a point at the BASE of chin (menton, ME) to a point to the back angle of the jaw (gonian GO) whereas this line is measured RELATIVE to a horizontal to form the ANGLE known as the MPA. So, when the chin is displaced in an UPWARD and OUTWARD combination of displacement vectors, the BASE of chin (and the ME point found there) will shift upwards and hence the LINE formed by ME-GO relative to a horizontal forms gives appearance of a LESS inclined MPA.

As to this sliding genio, IMO, it is best to do it with a SUBMENTAL approach which means cut under the chin and not one inside the mouth because sometimes the cut made inside the mouth can result in more lower tooth show because there is disruption to some attachment there whereas the one done via under chin incision preserves that attachment. Not to mention it doesn't disrupt near the lower teeth because the cut is NOT NEAR THEM.

It very much appears that Surgeon #1's statement that he would not be disrupting the the attachment of the mentalis muscle implies he's not going to make the incision inside the mouth. Hence, you would not have to worry about thin gum tissue to the lower teeth or much else about altering the integrity of the lower teeth via an incision that is NOT NEAR THEM. Also, surgeon #10 who is kicking up concerns about a genio, most likely is referring to one done via an incision INSIDE THE MOUTH. I shall discuss that later down the line.

Correction of 'witches chin' or even prevention of that is often done via the incision under the chin. Sometimes, that involves removal of an errant flesh pad; some soft tissue that kind of 'hangs down' past the chin bone. Although the sliding genio can result in a step off, the surgeon has the option of contouring part of the bone to mitigate it, using HA paste or granules to mitigate it OR just leaving it there where it can be MASKED with FILLER.

The sliding genio should NEVER attempt to compensate for mandibular recession. That means that a point on the chin, the pogonian; POG point, (a different one than the other two I mentioned prior) should go NO FURTHER than the chin recession ITSELF. So, the genio would be ONLY to address the recession at the chin as to put the chin (and it's outer most POG point) where it should/could be FOR THE CHIN and this is so EVEN IF the mandible is also recessed. Where to put the POG point in a sliding genio is relative to a vertical dropped down from the lower lip. In a female, the POG point should be found BEHIND that line. Even if it can't be brought forward enough to get where it 'should be' (which can be the case when the more you go OUTWARDS, the more you go UPWARDS where the upward displacement vector would make chin too short and/or make too big of a step off), it STILL is an IMPROVEMENT for someone (like you) who has some chin recession and also extra length to the chin. Very likely it would give more advancement than FILLER does and will decrease extra longness to chin which filler DOES NOT do.

That said, suggestion from surgeon # 1 is the CLOSEST suggestion to MINE which is why I'm more inclined to elaborate on that more than I am to elaborate on suggestion of others which I don't suggest myself.
-----

Now, I will choose ONE OTHER of these 10 (because it's quite a task to attempt to un-confuse as to all of them). But if you are still confused by what the others told you, it would be YOUR task to reconsult with the surgeon/s and ask them to un-confuse you based on what each and every other surgeon told you.I have selected Surgeon #10 for my comparison.

Surgeon #10 is telling you something in reference to the POG point (outer most point of the chin) and also in reference to (double?) jaw surgery involving a BSSO, in particular the BSSO. When you get a BSSO, they can bring the POG point out without having to also do a genio and/or they can do a very minimal one when the BSSO does most of the advancement of the POG point.

He's telling you your lower teeth are PROCLINED too  far relative to the POG point and also that an angle formed from the lower incisor line and the mandibular line (ME-GO), which together form the lower incisor inclination angle, are in excess of the optimal 90 degree angle which is why he suggests PUSHING THEM BACK to UPRIGHT them in order to perform the BSSO.

I've included an approx. illustration to this regard. It' isn't exact but it gives an idea of what is being referred to when he says your lower incisor line ,relative to to mandibular line which both together form the lower incisor angulation and notes it's more than the optimal angle.

OK, that's true BUT uprighting the lower front teeth when they are PROCLINED as they are involves EXTRACTION of a pre-molar to do it because it's pretty hard to push the lower front teeth back when there is not enough room to do it and making room involves pre-molar EXTRACTION. In addition to TOOTH LOSS when your bite has already been made right, these lower incisor teeth would have to be brought back with BRACES and the push back of the braces THEMSELVES will stress the lower teeth, and kick up more root show exposure than they have now. That in turn introduces the CONTINGENCY of GUM GRAFTING because not only does he want to pluck out your (1rst) premolar teeth to do do it but he also wants you to get gum grafting so he can do it. So, this suggestion TAXES the stability of your lower teeth and to COMPENSATE for the AMOUNT he's going to TAX the stability of the lower teeth, enter the contingency of gum grafting and who knows if it will tax the gum graft you get just to do it. So, OF course, IF you get the genio (which would most likely be via an INSIDE THE MOUTH incision) in addition to all this TAXING and STRESSING the lower teeth he's anticipating doing in order to get the BSSO to put the POG point where it is better put, you can risk losing the lower teeth. Basically, he's referring to doing the BSSO to advance the POG point and doing it without a genio in a situation where IF he also added the genio (via the incision inside the mouth) along with what he's doing which is ALREADY TAXING the integrity of the lower teeth, you very well could lose the lower teeth.

Also, the fact that this was the surgeon who suggested a total jaw replacement because of the issues with the TMJ tells me he won't be doing the 'magic bullet' surgery which is CCW-r via POSTERIOR DOWNGRAFT which just happens to be the type of CCW-r that would benefit you greatly IF YOU DID NOT HAVE the type of TMJ issues that PRECLUDE IT. So, in effect, he can't offer you the type of surgery that would decrease your high MPA because it's a 'no no' when someone has TMJ issues. So, IMO, his 'work around' that issue is TOO MUCH for not enough potential gain. That is so because he can't maximize your potential gain due to the preclusion of the TMJ problem.

Now, remember what I said prior about the sliding genio, especially the part where the incision to do it is made UNDER THE CHIN which is the approach that does NOT TAX or stress the integrity of the lower teeth whereas the incision inside the mouth disrupts an attachment quite close to the lower teeth. Now GUESS WHERE the incision would be for a genio WHEN a BSSO is ALSO performed. You got it. It's INSIDE MOUTH. So, OF COURSE, if he goes on to perform the genio via the incision inside the mouth along with the TAXING and STRESSING of the lower teeth that he needs to perform just to do the BSSO, then that indeed increases the risk of losing the lower teeth in your case given the roots are already exposed. He will also be taxing the short root upper teeth with braces too.

As to his suggestion of a joint replacement, this is most likely another way of telling you he can't do the 'magic bullet' type of surgery (due to your TMJs) which is the ccw-POSTERIOR DOWNGRAFT where as that is THE ONE that would work best for you IF you didn't have the TMJ preclusion to doing it. However, IMO, his work around SUBJECTS you to TOO MUCH for VERY LITTLE so WHY BOTHER.

Ya, his surgery would kick up more advancement of the POG point via the BSSO than the genio alone. But I don't think the conditions/contingencies (losing pre-molars, taxing root exposed teeth further via braces and having to get gum grafting just to do it) are worth it. Quite a lot to SUBJECT yourself to in a situation where your TMJs PRECLUDE you from getting the magic bullet ccw-r posterior downgraft.

I would conclude that the genio he is against doing is the genio one does not have to do when they can bring out the POG point to the chin with the BSSO alone. I would also conclude that the reference as to avoiding this genio because it could further compromise the lower teeth (in addition to what he wants to do to do the BSSO which in it's own right will compromise the lower teeth) refers to doing via a cut INSIDE THE MOUTH which indeed IF added with the other ways he's going to TAX the integrity of your lower teeth results in a high risk of tooth loss (in addition to the 2 pre-molars he's going to pluck out to get the braces to push back your teeth.) Hence, his reference to genio avoidance resolves to a reference of one done via an incision INSIDE the mouth which would disrupt the integrity of your lower teeth EVEN MORE that the rest of his surgery TAXES it already. It is unlikely he's referring to a genio performed via an incision under the chin as surgeon #1 seems to be suggesting.

In general, I find that the surgeons who do the 'magic bullet' CCW-r surgery with the POSTERIOR DOWN GRAFT, don't have to worry/be that concerned about potential adverse sequella with a genio included. But that's BECAUSE it's the ccw- posterior downgraft which in turn is the very thing that ALLOWS them to advance out the POG point to the chin WITHOUT a genio (or with a very small one). In your situation with the TMJ's, you CAN'T HAVE the very thing that brings out the POG point and gives it much ccw-r 'upward' rotation and the SACRIFICE to you for the BSSO to advance out the POG point because the TMJs preclude the CCW-r posterior downgraft to do it, IMO, is too much to go through; tooth loss, braces further taxing the lower teeth and potential dissatisfaction with loss of feminine gum show via the anterior impaction.

All that said, it does NOT change my suggestion for the genio only. Surgeon's #1 suggestion is the closest to my own. I have given my reasoning for this. It's very likely Surgeon #1 would do the incision under the chin given he said he wouldn't detach the mentalis muscle (too much stripping from the bone via the inside the mouth incision can contribute to witches chin). So, I would conclude that surgeon #10 is referring to a genio via inside the mouth incision and surgeon #1 is referring to one performed via a cut UNDER the chin. If that's true (and you could check with surgeon #1) then you don't have to worry about applying Surgeon #10's warning about a genio to Surgeon #1's suggestion of genio only. Surgeon #10's warning about genio is most likely in reference to doing it WITH the BSSO (along with all the tooth integrity TAXING that goes with his surgery) and doing it via an incision inside the mouth. Those warnings don't relate to performing the genio via an incision under the chin which is the likely one #1 would be using.

In closing, the genio ALONE would veer in direction of what you like to your chin when you use the filler. Might even be better than that given the vertical displacement vector that shortens the chin would decrease the visual length of the face from the front and also visually decrease the inclination of the high MPA. Any step off could be masked/streamlined with filler.

Illustration included with this post.

Hi kavan,
I have to say it again: WOW!! Thank you SO much!
I really appreciate your time and effort.
This is definitely not self-evident for me.

Your explanation together with the Illustration was easy to understand and I can imagine what the genio could improve very well. Thank you!
By the way: Do you have any idea/any advice how many mm forward movement would be possible in my case? Because surgeon #1 was a bit more optimistic, whereas surgeon #6 seemed to be more cautious.

Your point regarding the cut under the chin to prevent the lower teeth (more teeth show & doesn’t disrupt the teeth) makes a lot of sense.
However, unfortunately I have to say that surgeon #1 plans to make the cut inside the mouth.
Here is a short description of this method which can be found on his website (translated from German to English, so please apologise any mistakes):

„The intervention is usually carried out in ITN. Lingual tumescent anesthesia pushes the soft tissues away and minimizes blood flow (sublingual artery). In addition, there is an infiltration on the lower jaw margin at the planned end of the saw cut (A./V. Facialis) and in the oral vestibule.

The incision is made enorally as far as possible labially in order to avoid the formation of iatrogenic cheek ligaments. The mucosa is first severed superficially by a stepped incision and then dissected in depth. In the distal direction, the incision is made in a parabolic manner in the direction of the mucogingival border while protecting the mental nerve. The mentalis muscle is severed and must not be at least 4-5 mm wide on the lower jaw margin.
The ostectomy line is first marked with a jigsaw with a rigid saw blade. A thickening on the back of the saw blade serves as soft tissue protection and a depth stop. The horizontal osteotomy keeps a distance of at least 4 mm from the mental foramen and the tips of the teeth. The height can be determined in the planning with the help of the cephalometric image. The distance between the incisal point and the bony menton is measured. The osteotomy line should then
run at a distance to the incisal point of approx. 70% of the measured distance. In addition, 3 vertical lines of defined lengths can be marked, which serve as orientation for later shifts.

The separated lower jaw margin is relocated according to the profile planning and with a calibrated microplate
(after Lindorf, from Martin) fixed in the middle. In the case of displacements of more than 5 mm, 2 microplates paramedian are recommended for reasons of stability; this also improves bony remodeling in the median area. The two parts of the mental muscle are reunited with a deep suture, followed by a saliva-proof seam closure and a pressure bandage.

The osteotomy is then completed with a flexible thin sheet while guiding the pre-cut gap and using external digital palpation on the lower jaw margin. In the case of an ostectomy to reduce the height, a second saw cut is made at the planned distance. If a shift is carried out at the same time, the osteotomy lines must not be parallel. When shifting forward, the saw cuts must converge dorsally and diverge when shifting back in order to avoid step formation on the lower jaw margin.“

He also mentioned that you need to be extremely careful to prevent the nerve (who gives the feeling to the lower lip) and after looking at my CT scan he confirmed that my nerve is in „a good position“ for the surgery because it is quite high. Regarding the mentalis muscle he also said that he doesn't detach it because it will never grow together as perfect as it was before. So he will only expose the tissue but the musculature will stay where it is.

Surgeon #2 (who suggested the chin implant) was worried about my „bite contour“ when doing the Genio because „the focus of the rotational axis will change“. Furthermore he was worried about the symmetry because when cutting the chin, it (obviously) becomes loose and he thinks it can be hard to bring it back in the new position perfectly symmetrical.

I think HA paste is not used in Germany. But I could mask any steps afterwards with filler.

I also understood your point of view regarding surgeon #10.
Referring to my orthodontist, the periodontist expert and another oral surgeon, there is no getting around the gum augmention before doing any kind of surgery - doesn’t matter if it is djs or only genio.

I think surgeon #10 is conviced that the total joint replacement would give me the best outcome, even if the ccw-r via posterior down grafting would be possible. He showed me a power point were he presented how much better the total joint replacement looks like in comparison to conventional jaw surgery because the angles come down much more. Not just in my case, but in general.
This is a total joint replacement case which is extremely impressive:

All in all: I totally agree with you and I think I will go for the genio. However I still have a little voice in my mind which is confused because, especially surgeon #5 (who I really like) was totally against only doing the genio because: „it would be a failure. I am sure.“

I have edited this picture in Photoshop. The one on the left side is (obviously) the unedited one and was also taken BEFORE I had any fillers and the right one is the edited one.
I don’t really like the outcome because it looks a bit unnatural, my lip closure looks strange and the labiomental fold is pronounced.
So I hope it won’t turn out this way. But of course I am aware that my lip incompetence, my recessed jaw etc. can't be changed by an isolated surgery. Nevertheless I still hope it will be an improvement rather than "a failure" and will bring back some proportion to my face instead of making the whole situation more complicated/worse.
« Last Edit: June 06, 2021, 04:48:17 AM by Jawena2021 »

Jawena2021

go with the surgeon who recommends both bimax and genio

Hi Lazlo!
Thank you for your opinion. As you can tell by reading the discussion I am leaning towards doing only the genio because of my complex situation (thin skin appearance, gingival situation, TMJ problem, root exposure etc.) and therefor possible more risks when doing a Bimax.
But I am completely open and thankful for any advice/any suggestion why you think the bimax and genio are still a good option for me.

kavan

• Global Moderator

Hi kavan,
I have to say it again: WOW!! Thank you SO much!
I really appreciate your time and effort.
This is definitely not self-evident for me.

Your explanation together with the Illustration was easy to understand and I can imagine what the genio could improve very well. Thank you!
By the way: Do you have any idea/any advice how many mm forward movement would be possible in my case? Because surgeon #1 was a bit more optimistic, whereas surgeon #6 seemed to be more cautious.

Your point regarding the cut under the chin to prevent the lower teeth (more teeth show & doesn’t disrupt the teeth) makes a lot of sense.
However, unfortunately I have to say that surgeon #1 plans to make the cut inside the mouth.
Here is a short description of this method which can be found on his website (translated from German to English, so please apologise any mistakes):

„The intervention is usually carried out in ITN. Lingual tumescent anesthesia pushes the soft tissues away and minimizes blood flow (sublingual artery). In addition, there is an infiltration on the lower jaw margin at the planned end of the saw cut (A./V. Facialis) and in the oral vestibule.

The incision is made enorally as far as possible labially in order to avoid the formation of iatrogenic cheek ligaments. The mucosa is first severed superficially by a stepped incision and then dissected in depth. In the distal direction, the incision is made in a parabolic manner in the direction of the mucogingival border while protecting the mental nerve. The mentalis muscle is severed and must not be at least 4-5 mm wide on the lower jaw margin.
The ostectomy line is first marked with a jigsaw with a rigid saw blade. A thickening on the back of the saw blade serves as soft tissue protection and a depth stop. The horizontal osteotomy keeps a distance of at least 4 mm from the mental foramen and the tips of the teeth. The height can be determined in the planning with the help of the cephalometric image. The distance between the incisal point and the bony menton is measured. The osteotomy line should then
run at a distance to the incisal point of approx. 70% of the measured distance. In addition, 3 vertical lines of defined lengths can be marked, which serve as orientation for later shifts.

The separated lower jaw margin is relocated according to the profile planning and with a calibrated microplate
(after Lindorf, from Martin) fixed in the middle. In the case of displacements of more than 5 mm, 2 microplates paramedian are recommended for reasons of stability; this also improves bony remodeling in the median area. The two parts of the mental muscle are reunited with a deep suture, followed by a saliva-proof seam closure and a pressure bandage.

The osteotomy is then completed with a flexible thin sheet while guiding the pre-cut gap and using external digital palpation on the lower jaw margin. In the case of an ostectomy to reduce the height, a second saw cut is made at the planned distance. If a shift is carried out at the same time, the osteotomy lines must not be parallel. When shifting forward, the saw cuts must converge dorsally and diverge when shifting back in order to avoid step formation on the lower jaw margin.“

He also mentioned that you need to be extremely careful to prevent the nerve (who gives the feeling to the lower lip) and after looking at my CT scan he confirmed that my nerve is in „a good position“ for the surgery because it is quite high. Regarding the mentalis muscle he also said that he doesn't detach it because it will never grow together as perfect as it was before. So he will only expose the tissue but the musculature will stay where it is.

Surgeon #2 (who suggested the chin implant) was worried about my „bite contour“ when doing the Genio because „the focus of the rotational axis will change“. Furthermore he was worried about the symmetry because when cutting the chin, it (obviously) becomes loose and he thinks it can be hard to bring it back in the new position perfectly symmetrical.

I think HA paste is not used in Germany. But I could mask any steps afterwards with filler.

I also understood your point of view regarding surgeon #10.
Referring to my orthodontist, the periodontist expert and another oral surgeon, there is no getting around the gum augmention before doing any kind of surgery - doesn’t matter if it is djs or only genio.

I think surgeon #10 is conviced that the total joint replacement would give me the best outcome, even if the ccw-r via posterior down grafting would be possible. He showed me a power point were he presented how much better the total joint replacement looks like in comparison to conventional jaw surgery because the angles come down much more. Not just in my case, but in general.
This is a total joint replacement case which is extremely impressive:

All in all: I totally agree with you and I think I will go for the genio. However I still have a little voice in my mind which is confused because, especially surgeon #5 (who I really like) was totally against only doing the genio because: „it would be a failure. I am sure.“

I have edited this picture in Photoshop. The one on the left side is (obviously) the unedited one and was also taken BEFORE I had any fillers and the right one is the edited one.
I don’t really like the outcome because it looks a bit unnatural, my lip closure looks strange and the labiomental fold is pronounced.
So I hope it won’t turn out this way. But of course I am aware that my lip incompetence, my recessed jaw etc. can't be changed by an isolated surgery. Nevertheless I still hope it will be an improvement rather than "a failure" and will bring back some proportion to my face instead of making the whole situation more complicated/worse.

One of the issues here is that you don't name which doctors told you what. So, I have no way of using my familiarity with some docs I recognize as very good and others I either don't recognize at all as to give some advice extra weight to more than others. Another one is that after I explain things with reference to the information GIVEN, more info is introduced. I make no claim that I can resolve all this cycle indecision garnered from multiple doctors for you.

I'm getting more inclined to agree with 'Invisiline Only' who suggests you do NOTHING any time soon. She's right. Surgery is NOT going away. It will always be there and you have the option of taking TIME OFF for self research and/or going back to each and every doctor who confused you about what the other said. All this can't be solved for you by me. All I can do is suggest the genio and give my reasoning which I have done. So, YES, my opinion differs from what the MANY doctors told you. But if it can't be entertained IN IT'S OWN RIGHT and has to be cross rallied with all these doctors just because I gave you my opinion, it just becomes something else contributing to the endless cycle of indecision.

Consider you are going into these multiple consults with very little knowledge under your belt whereas if you took some time off to study up on things and isolate your enhancement goals, you would know what to TUNE INTO when you go on a consult. Further SELF STUDY (especially if a background in elementary geometrical relationships and basic high school physics is lacking). For example, when people come here who don't understand rotations, points, lines angles and planes in terms of basic geometry or who have no familiarity with displacement vectors, the GROUNDING for understanding what they are doing in maxfax surgeries is NOT THERE because there is nothing to IDENTIFY with or RELATE to as to all these displacements in maxfax surgery.

As to a continuous cycle of INDECISION precipitated by going on multiple consults without going in there after garnering a lot of knowledge and having it easy to garner with the basic background to do so, indecision can be RESOLVED by deciding NOT TO DECIDE whih harks back to 'Invisiline Only's' advice as to do NOTHING and decide later down the line after taking some time off to study up. Too many people on JSF who all they seem to 'know' is they don't like their appearance or they just want to look better. But rarely is that enough to differentiate from multiple doctor suggestions.

Now, as to your questiong of "how many mm movement is possible with the genio', assuming the one offered was the SLIDING genio, it would depend on the the angle of the diagonal cut to the chin which becomes the SLIDE PLANE/inclined plane to displace the chin. As is any 'forward advancement' over any inclined plane, there will be 2 displacement vectors associated with the movement. The type of sliding genio most applicable to you would have a vertically UPWARD displacement vector and a HORIZONTALLY OUTWARD displacement vector which would need to be aesthetically balanced to optimize both the extent the chin is shortened and the extent the chin advances forward. The constraints would be NOT to over compensate for any recession to the mandible (the BSSO part of mandible) with the horizontal displacement vector for the chin.

The surgical description boils down to a cut made INSIDE THE MOUTH. That's actually fine when you are just getting the genio. But in the case of surgeon #10's warning, who would have good reason to avoid that and because a lot of taxing the tissues and teeth would be going on with the rest of his proposal, in the case of an ISOLATED genio where you are NOT having to get pre-molars plucked and braces to push back your lower teeth to have it (no prior 'taxing' of the tooth structures going on), the risk factor or 'scare factor' referenced by surgeon #10 would not apply to the isolated genio even if done via inside the mouth incision.

Another option for chin augmentation via a cut UNDER THE CHIN but not inside the mouth would be to use the cut under the chin to reduce it's excess length (done by burring the excess length down) and THEN placing an implant over it for the outward augmentation. The cut is shorter when a silicone implant is used because it can be squeezed into a small incision. The fleshy feel of the soft silicone mimics both soft tissue and bone structure underneath it and is closer to what you are doing with the filler for that reason. But of course, with the exception it could be placed over the chin after the excess length is burred down.

With regard to your ortho, periodontist and another oral surgeon who say there is no getting around the gum augmentation before doing any kind of surgery, well, ya, from the dental perspective the root exposure could/would justify gum grafing IN IT'S OWN RIGHT even if you got no surgery. It would most certainly be a contingency for moving the exposed root lower teeth backwards with the braces.  Consider that a lot of people have root exposure of the lower teeth which can be from heavy brushing who live with that for quite some time. There is the option of using more gentle brushing techniques and using desensitizing tooth pastes to mitigate the progress and sensitivity. So, there's quite a time frame as to if and when they choose to get the gum grafting. For example, to the best of my knowledge, there are plastic surgeons, for example, putting in an implant via an under the chin incision and also burring down some of the excess length of the chin via the incision, who would not have the contingency of gum grafting first.

As to surgeon #10 who is convinced that total joint replacement would allow the back of the jaw at the angles to come downward and could be designed for good aesthetic effect, that is true in general and certainly for something as EXTREME as the person in the photo you showed. However, because her beginning look is SO EXTREME, it's HIGHLY UNLIKELY she would be wanting to UNDO the surgery. Also, she could have something where it gets worse and worse with time that RESOLVES her to JOINT REPLACEMENT as the ONLY WAY to arrest the destruction process that is going on with the TMJ. She most certainly would not be in the position of buyer's remorse as to be 'picky' with the outcome as to want a revision or her prior look back. So, if you are convinced your aesthetic case is as EXTREME as hers in terms of appearance (which would indicate you have BDD) OR surgeon #10 has convinced you your joint situation is ongoing and progressive such that you will look like her as a function of time IF you don't get the total replacement SOON, then of course, that's an option. However, since he's offering you a work around total joint replacement via his proposal and another told you your TMJ issue isn't progressing and is stable, getting a joint replacement at this point in time is quite EXTREME, best reserved for EXTREME cases who have no other options. Not to mention that GENIO ALONE would not be taxing your TMJ's.

That said, you YOURSELF, would have to have some way of 'knowing' that you would be 'extremely impressed' with TJR and would NOT want it undone or revised. I can't know that for you, nor can the doctor, nor can you. All I can tell you is that the 'wait and see' process AFTER YOU GET IT would tend to be irreversable in the event you were not extremely impressed with it in YOUR OWN SPECIFIC case. Remember, it's a GIVEN that the most 'extremely impressive' cases are associated with those who start with EXTREME aesthetic deviations from the norm.

Again, all in all, it's the chin recession that is most apparent aesthetic deviation EVEN IF there is some jaw recession with that. The high 'slope' of the MPA is NOT an apparent negative aesthetic deviation in it's own right. It is either the sliding genio with  vertically upward and horizontally outward displacement vectors OR the burring down some excess length to chin and then putting an implant over it (via under chin incision) that would correct the aesthetic deviation to the CHIN. The former would mitigate lip closure strain or mentalis strain as to make easier the lip closure. The later could do similar because BOTH put the mentalis muscle along more of a more short and vertical path so the mentalis muscle does not have to work as hard to close the lips. Mentalis muscle has to work harder when the base of chin has extra length to it and is too far behind a vertical line dropped from the lower lip.

If much uncertainty still exists as to which procedure to choose, then just do the most certain thing which you can do even if you decided to get no surgery at all. That would be the gum grafting because dental pros suggest that to people who aren't getting maxfax surgery and will suggest it to everyone who has root exposure whether they are getting surgery or not.

'TOO MANY COOKS SPOIL THE BROTH.'

So also consider what 'Invisiline Only' suggested which is do nothing at all. Basically, if your indecision can't be resolved as to to which doctor or procedure to choose, then resolve to NOT making a face altering surgery choice at all and take some time off for self study. As she said, surgery isn't going anywhere and surgery will still be there for you later down the line. Maybe you will have an epiphany ('aha moment') after time spent in self research and study (other than asking for advise) and the 'right' answer will just come to you as being intuitively obvious. The fact that you are not confident in most to any of the advice you got as to which best applies to you and/or that all of it conflicts with each other, that is endless indecision and is best resolved by DECIDING NOT TO DECIDE at this point in time and instead wait until after you spend time in self study.

Jawena2021

Hi Kavan,
Thank you for your reply.
I appreciate it a lot.

I agree with you - I am not 100% sure yet which way to go.
But I have to disagree with you regarding my research or self study.
I did a lot of research since months.
I have a whole folder with information, studies etc. and writing in this forum is just one part of my education. I think it is never wrong to receive more information, especially from people who don’t want to sell you anything and who still have a lot of knowledge. 
I have my A levels and went to university, so I would say my background in elementary geometrical relationships and basic high school physics is not lacking.
I do unterstand all the movements but of course I am not a surgeon and it is still hard for me to decide and to imagine what it would look like - especially because I have so many background information. I always have the feeling that some of the surgeons miss one thing and I didn’t find the „whole package“ yet, someone who takes everything into consideration - just like you. The one thing that I always think is "I can't know it better than the experts", so for example: even if everything makes sense with the Genio (shortening, advancing, the MPA will look somewhat improved etc.) I still have the voice in my head saying: "but why did the surgeon said it would be a failure?" or why did the other surgeon said the following: "Considering only the genio, I don't know where your face will end up. This will be difficult. I would prefer a lefort 1 instead of a genio, if you had the choose between both. Then you will have a more natural lip closure, this will give a lot more rest in the face".

Moreover I have to say that I had many consultation with surgeons from all over the world, not only surgeons who speak german. And it is a lot easier to understand everything if the person you speak to speaks your mother language as well. But on the other hand I don’t want to limit the selection by just talking to german surgeons.
Maybe I just have issues to trust a surgeon 100%  ::)

I never said my case is as extreme as the one from the girl on Tiktok. I know it is not. I just posted the pictures to emphazise what the surgeon meant when saying what the difference is between his surgery (the TMJ surgery) and the conventional jaw surgery.

„With regard to your ortho, periodontist and another oral surgeon who say there is no getting around the gum augmentation before doing any kind of surgery, well, ya, from the dental perspective the root exposure could/would justify gum grafing IN IT’S OWN RIGHT even if you got no surgery. It would most certainly be a contingency for moving the exposed root lower teeth backwards with the braces.“
My orthodontist doesn’t suggest getting braces again. He just suggested the gum grafting, no matter if I do a surgery or not.

I will talk to some surgeons again in the next days/weeks, educate myself even more and I will update you once I have any news!  :)
Thank you for all your help. I really appreciate it!
« Last Edit: June 06, 2021, 09:55:23 AM by Jawena2021 »

kavan

• Global Moderator
Hi Kavan,
Thank you for your reply.
I appreciate it a lot.

I agree with you - I am not 100% sure yet which way to go.
But I have to disagree with you regarding my research or self study.
I did a lot of research since months.
I have a whole folder with information, studies etc. and writing in this forum is just one part of my education. I think it is never wrong to receive more information, especially from people who don’t want to sell you anything and who still have a lot of knowledge. 
I have my A levels and went to university, so I would say my background in elementary geometrical relationships and basic high school physics is not lacking.
I do unterstand all the movements but of course I am not a surgeon and it is still hard for me to decide and to imagine what it would look like - especially because I have so many background information. I always have the feeling that some of the surgeons miss one thing and I didn’t find the „whole package“ yet, someone who takes everything into consideration - just like you. The one thing that I always think is "I can't know it better than the experts", so for example: even if everything makes sense with the Genio (shortening, advancing, the MPA will look somewhat improved etc.) I still have the voice in my head saying: "but why did the surgeon said it would be a failure?" or why did the other surgeon said the following: "Considering only the genio, I don't know where your face will end up. This will be difficult. I would prefer a lefort 1 instead of a genio, if you had the choose between both. Then you will have a more natural lip closure, this will give a lot more rest in the face".

Moreover I have to say that I had many consultation with surgeons from all over the world, not only surgeons who speak german. And it is a lot easier to understand everything if the person you speak to speaks your mother language as well. But on the other hand I don’t want to limit the selection by just talking to german surgeons.
Maybe I just have issues to trust a surgeon 100%  ::)

I never said my case is as extreme as the one from the girl on Tiktok. I know it is not. I just posted the pictures to emphazise what the surgeon meant when saying what the difference is between his surgery (the TMJ surgery) and the conventional jaw surgery.

„With regard to your ortho, periodontist and another oral surgeon who say there is no getting around the gum augmentation before doing any kind of surgery, well, ya, from the dental perspective the root exposure could/would justify gum grafing IN IT’S OWN RIGHT even if you got no surgery. It would most certainly be a contingency for moving the exposed root lower teeth backwards with the braces.“
My orthodontist doesn’t suggest getting braces again. He just suggested the gum grafting, no matter if I do a surgery or not.

I will talk to some surgeons again in the next days/weeks, educate myself even more and I will update you once I have any news!  :)
Thank you for all your help. I really appreciate it!

OK, I accept your pointing out you did a lot of research and study. I would not disagree with that. It's just that when I'm giving open commentary, I'm usually INCLINED to 'work in' the issues that a large majority of posters are lacking. Also, if I didn't think you were SMART already, I would not have put the time into going back and forth in great length as i have done.

I'm sorry if you thought I was implying that you thought your case was as extreme as the gal who got the total jaw replacement. The point I was wanting to get across was that examples of EXTREME cases, here, improvement thereof via total joint replacement are not always directly applicable to cases that are not extreme. Basically, it was no surprise to me that the person in the TikTok photo who's options CLEARLY RESOLVED to total joint replacement got the exact right thing for her case.

AS to the gum grafting, as I said, that is the most CERTAIN thing you can get whether or not you get any (other) surgery. So, what I said is pretty much consistent with what your ortho said.

What you should know about ALL of the surgeons you consult with is that they resolve you to their 'default' procedure which is what they do best or often do. That's great IF you have a way of narrowing down what you want and why and it's RIGHT ON TARGET with what they do. But it's not so great if you have not. In fact, the very TITLE of this string; 'What surgery do I really need?' belies that you have not and are depending on them to tell you what 'need'. The only exception to this where you have pretty much identified what you don't like on your face is the CHIN and you like it better when it's augmented (filler) and would be happy if you could get something that even gave the illusion of shorter anterior facial height. So, in a way, you know what you would like or even 'need' for yourself  BUT you are 'looking for love in all the wrong places' with all these consults you've gone on because it doesn't seem like you are targeting the consults to chin correction.
Undoubtedly, I'd say ALL the doctors see that your CHIN would look better if the POG point were moved UP and OUT. But the ones who do the DJS ccw-r via posterior downgraft don't offer that to you and offer some WORK AROUND to bring the POG point up and out. Doesn't matter whether or not they tell you outright it's a work around to a preclusion the TMJ situation presents. What matters is that if NO DOCTOR actually suggested ccw-r with posterior downgraft, then all to most of the suggestions resolve to a work around relative to a TMJ preclusion for ccw-r via posterior down graft. However, correct me if I'm wrong by telling me WHICH DOCTOR suggested ccw-r via posterior downgraft?

Now back to this POG point to the chin which would look better if displaced UP and OUT. WHO'S need is it to displace it up and out in the ABSENCE of a TARGETED genio to do JUST THAT? It's the need of some of the DOCTORS who's default is to bring that point up and out via surgery to the JAWS whether it's DJS or single. So, if you're consulting with the DJS docs who can and do elect to bring the POG point out via means other than a targeted surgery to the CHIN which could bring that point up and out, not only are you going to get work arounds to the true work horse of doing that via DJS ccw-r with posterior down grafts but those work arounds would also tend to EXCLUDE a TARGETED GENIO to bring the POG point up and out.

All this would be easier for you if you could TARGET your consults with the AIM of what bothers you most about your face and if you would be satisfied with that thing only. You already KNOW you are satisfied with the FILLER outward projection and you ALREADY feel that your chin if a little shorter (in addition to outward projection) would most likely look better and give ILLUSION of lower inclination MPA. So, in effect, that is a need of YOURS. Yet some of your consults with surgeons are those who WON'T ISOLATE that for you and instead have to go through all these work arounds in accordance to their DEFAULT procedure to bring the POG point up and out and in AVOIDANCE of doing that DIRECTLY via a sliding genio. Even with the doctors who suggest genio only, perhaps I MISSED mention of the one who suggested the sliding genio.

Now POINT to the outermost point of your chin at this POG point while looking in the mirror. If you can visualize that your chin would look better if it were more projected and slightly shorter, than that is the act of SEEING the POG point going UPWARD and OUTWARD. Next thing to do would be to TARGET your consults to doctors who could/would do just that and do it WITHOUT any other surgery to the jaws. Least likely places are those who's 'default' is DJS to bring the pog point upwards and outwards.

So, if you want to get the most out of your consults and direct yourself to questions involving ISOLATED (sliding) GENIO, I would suggest you go on them after reading THIS book: 'The Art and Science of the Sliding Genioplasty' by by Johan P Reyneke.

Jawena2021

Thank you for your kind words and of course again A HUGE thank you for your reply!  :)

Yes, it is true that I know what I don't like about my face (length and chin) and it is also true that I was hoping for the magical answer from one of the surgeons. What I didn't know when starting my research was that my case is different and more complex than the ones from other people who can just get a conventional jaw surgery or even only a genioplasty. But the whole gum/tooth/TMJ situation makes everything more difficult.
At the moment I don't feel like the other options beside the ccw-r with posterior downgraft are just a compromise because it is not my steep mandible that bothers me the most, it is my chin and that would be corrected in every surgery the doctors have suggested for my case. 
I just have to figure out which way to go now.

Furthermore the posterior down graft wouldn't even be an option if my TMJs were healthy because my ramus is so short.
If I didn't already have the TMJ problem at the moment, I would have it later after surgery. So short ramus = no down graft  :-\
When you have a short vertical ramus, you can't do too much of counter clockwise, in every case. If you increase it to move the manibular angle down, you are increasing the pressure and the muscles won't adapt to this lengthening.

Thank you so much for the book recommendation. I just purchased it and will start to read it  :D