Author Topic: Midline Mandible Distraction Osteogenesis  (Read 4990 times)

kavan

• Global Moderator
Midline Mandible Distraction Osteogenesis
« on: July 11, 2021, 01:16:57 PM »
Midline Mandible Distraction Osteogenesis

https://www.jdao-journal.org/articles/odfen/pdf/2016/03/odfen180110.pdf

I'm including an academic article link to 'Midsymphyseal distraction Osteogenesis' (MSDO) which is sometimes called; 'Midline Mandible Distraction Osteogenesis' (MMDO). This is not the only journal article about the topic matter. If you find others, you may place the links to them in this string.
Please. No PMs for private advice. Board issues only.

ForeignCartographer

Re: Midline Mandible Distraction Osteogenesis
« Reply #1 on: November 27, 2022, 05:41:39 AM »
Very interesting read, thank you for posting this.

What is your opinion on MSDO? It seems to be well tolerated and an effective complement to maxillary expansion.

As presented in this paper, it appears from the limited evidence that there is little to no TMJ dysfunction caused by MSDO, and if there is any, it's transient. The consensus seems to be that the condyles remodel to accommodate the new, rotated position. It also seems as though patients with existing TMD do not experience much, if any, worsening of their symptoms and some actually see improvement. Did I read that correctly?

I have TMD and internal derangement myself, so I have been wary of MSDO but this paper has given me some confidence.

Do you think MSDO would be a suitable option for someone who doesn't have dental crowding or aggressively narrow arches, but still wants to expand beyond their IMW of ~37mm for the functional and aesthetic benefits?

Who do you know of in Europe does MSDO? The authors of the paper you posted seem to be from Bordeaux. I know Mommaerts has done MSDO but I haven't read good things about him. Do you know of anyone else?

kavan

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: November 27, 2022, 06:52:26 PM »
I'd like to clarify the aim/not aim behind (my) providing (academic article) links in this section.

When I provide a link to an academic article in this section, my efforts are directed at choosing one that is straight forward to read. The aim is to provide an article (sometimes about the more 'esoteric' procedures) for those wanting to do more SELF (independent) research about that procedure. It's meant to assist those who might want to to know more about them and/or to SELF apply their situation to the information a well selected article can yield; such things as to what the procedure does, who it's done for, who does it..etc.

The aim isn't to give my opinion on the procedure or to apply the information within the article to any specific circumstance or question or to suggest doctors. The aim of providing links to journal articles is toward self research or 'self assistance'.
Please. No PMs for private advice. Board issues only.

ForeignCartographer

« Reply #3 on: November 30, 2022, 03:36:01 AM »
I see