Author Topic: Had Medpor Jaw Angular Implants 3 Weeks Ago.. possibly infected  (Read 1104 times)

dippafly

Had Medpor Jaw Angular Implants 3 Weeks Ago.. possibly infected
« on: October 18, 2021, 09:17:09 PM »
Hi there. I had medpor jaw angular implants 3 weeks ago.  The surgeon used two screws on the left side and three screws on the right side. The swelling on the left side of my face has come down nicely.  But, the right side of my face is still very swollen.  My teeth, gums and jaw on the right side are still experiencing some pain that I'm controlling with extra strength Tylenol.  I told this to my surgeon today via email and he gave me a 14 day prescription for cephalexin as a "precaution".  If I am indeed infected, what are the chances that these antibiotics will clear up my infection for good and that my swelling comes down?  Also, besides taking the antibiotics, should I be doing anything else like rinsing with salt water or mouthwash?
« Last Edit: October 18, 2021, 09:35:31 PM by dippafly »

earl25

Re: Had Medpor Jaw Angular Implants 3 Weeks Ago.. possibly infected
« Reply #1 on: October 19, 2021, 01:15:48 PM »
I don't know if there's anything to be concerned about or if its just a precaution, however if turns out to be an infection you can talk to your doctor about trying something that a Dr. did for an infected patient as told on Missj forum. I remember someone posted a story how their silicone facial implants (i think it was cheek) got infected and besides oral antibiotics the doctor actually injected antibiotics right onto the implant and it cleared up. I don't know if this a standard practice or risky etc, but doesn't hurt to mention.

kavan

• Global Moderator
Re: Had Medpor Jaw Angular Implants 3 Weeks Ago.. possibly infected
« Reply #2 on: October 19, 2021, 03:27:20 PM »
rinsing with warm salt water is a good idea. the swelling on right side does look like it could be an infection.

There could be some relationship between having to get 3 screws to the right side and that side getting infected. Consider getting a dental X ray in the event a screw went through a root of a tooth. Of course, I don't know if it did (but an X ray would show if it did), assuming metal/titanium screws were used. But if the pulp chamber inside the root of a tooth is damaged, an infection can occur. Even if that's not the case, an infection from periodontal pathogens can get into the incision and infect the implant.

Earl gave you some good advice which is to ask your doctor if possible to shoot liquid anti-biotics into the area. Metrodiazonal (sp?) is common AB for dental infections. Also get a prescription for chorohexidine gluconate (dental) mouthwash.
Please. No PMs for private advice. Board issues only.