Author Topic: sliding genioplasty, downward mouvement only  (Read 989 times)

asphyxia

sliding genioplasty, downward mouvement only
« on: November 12, 2021, 02:36:02 AM »
Hello everyone,
I've been away from this forum for a long time. Got sliding genio six years ago, then redo orthodontitcs and lower jaw surgery, with revision sliding genio in the meantime for lip as a surgeon decision. Long story short, I'm still not happy. The bite is fine the LJ is ok, but I feel my chin is now too short, with a double chin from the side which I never had before. I am not overly mad about it, but I still regret it. Reputable surgeons proposed me new plans with DJS, but I don't think I'm down for it. Some advised me against redoing the genio bc they said it would made the sagging worse. My original surgeon offered me to redo the genioplasty, to put it back where it was after my first genio which I opted for. The surgery is scheduled soon.
Sorry for this long intro, my question is : is a downward only genio a bad idea, and why ?

And as for a general consideration, I would add this : personal charm and uniqueness is definitly underrated. Surgeries can put you in the norm but sometimes, your percieved flaws add to your own beauty. Just because you don't look like a social media postcard doesn't make you less anything. Once you start realizing that, surgery becomes a lot harder a decision to make. I am not saying I am against surgery, at all. But in my opinion, some features should be preserved and normalizing every plan aesthetically should not be the road to go. I only realized it during recovery, missing the pointy chin I hated so much before, although, aesthetically, I am now within 'the norm'.

fullofsoubts

Re: sliding genioplasty, downward mouvement only
« Reply #1 on: November 12, 2021, 06:43:17 AM »
And as for a general consideration, I would add this : personal charm and uniqueness is definitly underrated. Surgeries can put you in the norm but sometimes, your percieved flaws add to your own beauty. Just because you don't look like a social media postcard doesn't make you less anything. Once you start realizing that, surgery becomes a lot harder a decision to make. I am not saying I am against surgery, at all. But in my opinion, some features should be preserved and normalizing every plan aesthetically should not be the road to go. I only realized it during recovery, missing the pointy chin I hated so much before, although, aesthetically, I am now within 'the norm'.

Sorry, I have no idea about the genioplasty but just wanted to say that I agree with this so much. Same happened to me because I miss some of the things that made me unique before. Same goes with orthodontists, I miss my not so perfect teeth.

Next month will be 1 year since my surgery and it's now that I'm starting to recognize my old self in the mirror and rediscovering a lot of features that I thought were lost. So I'm still hopeful.

I'm not entirely happy with my chin either and I've had 3 genioplasties. But I think I still will have to wait another year to see the final result.
Hope you can fix yours and be happy finally

lookism

« Reply #2 on: November 12, 2021, 09:05:40 AM »
im also considering genioplasty (clockwise rotation) to add vertical height but im a bit put of by reports of people sayin their lower lip rolled inwards and getting thinner eg

https://jawsurgeryforums.com/index.php/topic,8416.0.html

or tightness and stiffness

https://jawsurgeryforums.com/index.php/topic,7928.0.html

asphyxia

« Reply #3 on: November 12, 2021, 09:26:42 AM »
My lower lip looked thinner following each genioplasty, but took back its shape after approx one year each time. Last genioplasty I had was vertical reduction ( but with BSsO) and now my lower lip looks bigger than before if anything, which looks good. I just don't like the shorter lower third. I think long term thinning is a concern for advancement genio, not lenghtening, because if anything it streatches the lip. My surgeon said it might affect my lip seal, and I don't see how it could be associated with thinner lips. But If you do get some forward movement as well, then yes it can thin your lips.
Hence my question : is lenghtening genioplasty only a bad idea ? Because some surgeons advised me against it, but It was never clear why.

lookism

« Reply #4 on: November 12, 2021, 11:15:53 PM »

I think long term thinning is a concern for advancement genio, not lenghtening

could elaborate on this? whats the difference between advancememt and lengthening here?