Author Topic: Surgeon says he wont know if I need surgery on upper jaw until the operation  (Read 1660 times)

Salemare

Hi All,

I wanted to ask if other people have had a similar comment from their surgeons.

My surgeon has advised that I will need BSSO to address my Class II 1cm Overbite, however he has said he will not know if I need surgery on my upper jaw until the actual operation itself.

I am a bit concerned about this as I have had two wisdom teeth and 2 premolars removed from my upper jaw already so wondering if this will have been for nothing if I end up not needing surgery.

Is it common that surgeons leave the decision to do part of the procedure until the actual surgery itself?

I am also a bit concerned that I dont really have a plan, and looking at the websites and comments of the recommended surgeons on here, they show patients having 3D models made, none of which my surgeon has done.

GJ

• Administrator
No I wouldn't say that's common.
Millimeters are miles on the face.

ArtVandelay

• Private
This is absurd. I would find a new doctor on these grounds alone. For one it tells me he's not using any modern 3d planning.

Salemare

This is absurd. I would find a new doctor on these grounds alone. For one it tells me he's not using any modern 3d planning.

Ok, he is quite old, probably approaching retirement so I dont think he is at the cutting edge of things, thats I am pretty sure about.

asphyxia

In which country are you ?

Salemare

In which country are you ?

I'm in Italy.

PloskoPlus

Ok, he is quite old, probably approaching retirement so I dont think he is at the cutting edge of things, thats I am pretty sure about.
Sounds like a bad idea.  You must be certain that the surgeon will be around to fix any problems that may arise from your surgery.  The internet is full of "my surgeon retired and I'm left with this mess" stories.