Author Topic: Any advice about surgical plans welcome...  (Read 4717 times)

TWGOAT

Re: Any advice about surgical plans welcome...
« Reply #30 on: January 27, 2022, 02:05:20 PM »
Correct. Vertical maxillary excess (VME) = 'long' anterior face (long face from the front) from excess downward growth of the anterior maxilla. Solution= removal of section from anterior maxilla= anterior impaction.
Rotational direction of anterior impaction = CCW. 

With reference to a CLOCK , divided vertically between 12 and 6 , counter clockwise direction (relative to the 'anterior half' of the clock) is between  6 and 12 (from 6 swinging up to 12) and is an upward swing. Counterclockwise direction (relative to the 'posterior half' of the clock) is between 12 and 6 (12 swinging down to 6) and is a downward swing.

I saw a 2nd surgeon, he mentioned maybe more than 5mm anterior impaction based on my current tooth show (around 8mm), and also some posterior impaction.

He was vague about the amount of CCW achievable with the differential impaction, but he said i would need a big advancement and autologous bone graft on the BSSO sites to favor healing

kavan

• Global Moderator
« Reply #31 on: January 27, 2022, 05:29:51 PM »
I saw a 2nd surgeon, he mentioned maybe more than 5mm anterior impaction based on my current tooth show (around 8mm), and also some posterior impaction.

He was vague about the amount of CCW achievable with the differential impaction, but he said i would need a big advancement and autologous bone graft on the BSSO sites to favor healing

Well, it's hard for them to be precise until an actual pre-surgical plan is charted out. With combined CCW anterior impaction + CW posterior impaction, anterior impaction , the rotation is net CCW if there is more anterior impaction than posterior impaction. If your maxilla was uniformly long both anteriorly and posteriorly and they removed a uniform segment from it, net rotation would be zero.

If the surgery is DJS where the maxilla is advanced after the combined impaction, there will be some gain in tooth show which was 'lost' from the anterior impaction. For example, if tooth show after anterior impaction was reduced by 5mm but the excess was 8mm, you wouldn't be left with 3, you would gain more than 3 as a function of the maxillary advancement. For every X mm of maxillary advancement, you gain Y mm of tooth show. There is no specific Y with each X because it's a function of the inclination of the maxilla (or Occlusal Plane) which is being advanced.
Please. No PMs for private advice. Board issues only.

TWGOAT

« Reply #32 on: January 27, 2022, 07:02:10 PM »
edit : put the post in my thread