Author Topic: Overbite Bimax asthetic question with pics  (Read 2210 times)

castaway123

Re: Overbite Bimax asthetic question with pics
« Reply #15 on: February 07, 2022, 11:44:28 AM »
Here are some 3d views, if too small I'll resize, if these or the other resized scans are also too small let me know Ill end up posting em on imgur
« Last Edit: February 18, 2022, 03:16:08 PM by GJ »

GJ

• Administrator
« Reply #16 on: February 07, 2022, 02:09:58 PM »
That helps.

You have a bit of a Morgan Dollar profile. It's not a bad thing at all, and it's pretty classic, but at the same time your labiomental grove is very deep and maybe giving an illusion of recession. I think the best thing would be to get a genio only and fill in the labiomental grove with either a bone graft or HA, and then maybe elongate it slightly (gain vertical height). I think all of your "problems" can be addressed via genio. I don't see anything on those scans that warrants double jaw surgery. I'm not even seeing bite problems in those scans. It's hard to tell, though. Even though you enlarged them, it's just hard to see detail in the bite.
Millimeters are miles on the face.

castaway123

« Reply #17 on: February 07, 2022, 03:06:47 PM »
Thanks for the insight, I do have a slight overbite. Hopefully I could gain the desired height through genio work and gain slight projection through a bsso only movement. My ortho said minor movements tend to have a higher rate of relapse so I'm a little conflicted on that and any opinions on relapse would be appreciated. I had subpar oral posture my whole life but have been practicing good tongue posture over the last 2 years so hopefully my chances of relapse are low, the issue was always keeping the tongue up near the front/tip of my mouth near the incisors and that COULD be why the front portion of the face looks slightly recessed. The maxfac himself suggested a bsso only movement after the incisors were de compensated after pre-surgery braces as a possibility. The aesthetic result I want isn't drastic as many have told me. But whatever gets me the vertical height I desire is what I plan on going with.

kavan

• Global Moderator
« Reply #18 on: February 07, 2022, 05:50:41 PM »
Let me make clear that the reason/s I am NOT advising the OP to pursue  maxfax surgery regarding the AESTHETIC reason he's pursuing it, in particular, any advice as to what he should ask his surgeon to do toward aim or reproducing the look of a 'jut out' jaw, is because I SEE that any PERCEIVED jaw or chin recession is actually an ILLUSION directly attributable to the nose being OVERLY PROJECTED. As a knowledgeable information provider on here, it is as CLEAR  to me that the nose has an overly projected ANS and also an overly prominent dorsal hump. As to how 'solid' his nose may be, it is the reason his lower jaw area looks RELATIVELY recessive to him and the reason he's jutting out his jaw in an attempt to 'balance' an IMBALANCE coming from the nose itself. So, from an AESTHETIC perspective, the act of wanting to 'balance' the jaw with an IMBALANCE coming from an overly projected nose stands to result in more aesthetic imbalance. So, I'm electing to play NO PART in giving any aesthetic advice as to how to achieve his aesthetic goal OTHER than conveying that the goal of trying to reproduce the look of a jutted out jaw is a misdirected one when there is neither recession nor lack of chin length and that it's all an ILLUSION coming from the nose. The illusion (of recession) is NOT coming from the overly acute lip to chin groove.

Other reasons include a less than 'long' chin and overly acute lip to chin groove is PERFECTLY NORMAL for someone with a LOW MPA , a very SOLID mandible and an AMPLE projected CHIN. Aesthetically, this is often referred to FAVORABLY as 'SQUARE JAW' and is something many pursue.  Also, the tooth IMPLANTS don't allow for moving the implants via braces in prep for a surgery that requires moving the teeth. Add my not actually seeing bite issues.

All that said, from my POV, he's asking for advice on how he can achieve a misdirected aesthetic goal which is why I'm electing to not give him any toward that goal. Others may...as long as I'm on record here for discouraging it.
Please. No PMs for private advice. Board issues only.

castaway123

« Reply #19 on: February 07, 2022, 06:50:47 PM »
@kavan  Just looking at a glance it looks like I have a shorter lower third in proportion to the rest of my face, the pics have most of my face blurred out but I could show you what I mean with better pics(Would have to PM tho). This has nothing to do with the nose since you cant even see my midface in the frontal pics. The lower third doesn't quite match my face or rather is not in proportion. This doesn't mean that I have any underlying skeletal issues but it does mean i have room for aesthetic improvement to balance out the way my lower third/chin is. AGAIN not in width, gonial angle, or any other vector but purely vertical projection. NOW, I've already said I am considering a genio/maybe implants to add verticality. To reiterate, its clear to me that my face could do with a little vertical height increase aesthetically, key words being "A LITTLE". Forget the jaw surgery in this case as I've said I would consider genio/implants. I AGREE reducing the nose would help in a profile view but the nose has no effect on how MY lower third looks in relation to the rest of the face from a FRONTAL view. Now...if you think  I shouldn't look for an aesthetic goal because you think I look fine (forget the nose) then thats your opinion and I appreciate it but I've already made up my mind that I'm not just gunna sit here grow a beard out and train neck 3 days a week. You could give me a nose job but my chin/lower third would still look slightly short compared to the rest of my face from the front.

kavan

• Global Moderator
« Reply #20 on: February 07, 2022, 07:14:48 PM »
@kavan  Just looking at a glance it looks like I have a shorter lower third in proportion to the rest of my face, the pics have most of my face blurred out but I could show you what I mean with better pics(Would have to PM tho). This has nothing to do with the nose since you cant even see my midface in the frontal pics. The lower third doesn't quite match my face or rather is not in proportion. This doesn't mean that I have any underlying skeletal issues but it does mean i have room for aesthetic improvement to balance out the way my lower third/chin is. AGAIN not in width, gonial angle, or any other vector but purely vertical projection. NOW, I've already said I am considering a genio/maybe implants to add verticality. To reiterate, its clear to me that my face could do with a little vertical height increase aesthetically, key words being "A LITTLE". Forget the jaw surgery in this case as I've said I would consider genio/implants. I AGREE reducing the nose would help in a profile view but the nose has no effect on how MY lower third looks in relation to the rest of the face from a FRONTAL view. Now...if you think  I shouldn't look for an aesthetic goal because you think I look fine (forget the nose) then thats your opinion and I appreciate it but I've already made up my mind that I'm not just gunna sit here grow a beard out and train neck 3 days a week. You could give me a nose job but my chin/lower third would still look slightly short compared to the rest of my face from the front.

Than do what you are going to do anyway. I just wanted to make clear WHY I'm electing not to advise you.
Please. No PMs for private advice. Board issues only.