Author Topic: German Long-Term Study to compare results of BSSO and DO  (Read 1223 times)

mediumdrinkofwater

German Study comparing DO and BSSO results after 10 years. It seems like there were no significant differences and both are viable options for Class-2 Patients. I would like to know your opinion on this.

Most of the study is in German, however the abstract is in English. I will paste it here:

The aim of this retrospective study was to compare the long-term stability of the
mandible after a bilateral lengthening procedure, either by bilateral sagittal split
osteotomy (BSSO) or distraction osteogenesis using the "floating bone concept"(DO),
and, furthermore, to evaluate the stomatognathic function, the neurosensory function of
the inferior alveolar nerve and patient satisfaction after ca. 10 years.

40 patients who underwent mandibular advancement surgery at Campus Benjamin
Franklin, Charité - Universitätsmedizin Berlin, between 1996 and 2000 were evaluated
after an average period of 10 years (DO group: 9.25 ± 1.11 years, BSSO group: 10.8 ±
1.15 years); either group, BSSO or DO consisted of 20 patients. Of the 20 patients in
the DO group 14 were female and 6 were male, whereas the BSSO group consisted of
15 female and 5 male patients.

The long-term stability of the mandible was evaluated by analysing cephalometric
radiographs of the patients, which were taken preoperatively, postoperatively and at the
latest examination after long-term follow-up of 9.44 years. Using a questionnaire and
the Helkimo index, the function of the temporomandibular joint was examined
subjectively and objectively.

The neurosensory function of the inferior alveolar nerve
was subjectively assessed by questioning the patient and clinically examined by means
of the thermal sensitivity test, the pointed-blunt test and the two-point discrimination.
The subjective patient treatment satisfaction was assessed by subjective evaluation of
masticatory function, and by establishing subjective patient satisfaction with the
outcome of therapy.

Although the horizontal relapse appeared to be greater in the DO group than in the
BSSO group (P <0.05), the difference in relation to the amount of surgical advancement
of the mandible between the two groups was not significant (P > 0.05).
The position of the mandibular ramus had only changed slightly after advancement (less
than 1 ° in the BSSO patients and 2 º at the DO-patients).

The subjective and objective evaluation of sensory disturbance showed no statistically
significant difference between the DO group and the BSSO group. Regarding the
function of the temporomandibular joint and the mobility of the mandible, a significant
functional improvement could be achieved in both groups. The majority of patients in
both groups were satisfied with the treatment.

Source: https://d-nb.info/107108867X/34

thedude

Re: German Long-Term Study to compare results of BSSO and DO
« Reply #1 on: May 30, 2022, 10:57:39 PM »
That’s certainly an interesting device and method. I wonder how comfortable it is having that adjustment bar sticking out.

I guess the main advantage of DO is that you don’t need to graft? And maybe you are less likely to rupture a nerve since you’re not stretching so much at once? Otherwise I would think most people would rather just get it over with in one go.

I have always wondered if a sufficiently motivated person could DIY their own jaw surgery. I feel like if you were crazy enough to try DO would be the way to go.

mediumdrinkofwater

« Reply #2 on: May 31, 2022, 07:56:45 AM »
BTW The first before and after on this page was also treated with DO. There is also a second patient further down. Just (str+f) filter for "distraction"

https://www.jawsurgerylosangeles.com/before-and-after/

mediumdrinkofwater

« Reply #3 on: May 31, 2022, 08:15:01 AM »
Here is another english study on DO-Results for mandibular distraction in class 2 patients. It seems the results are better than I anticipated. I do not understand why this forum is mostly against DO?

source: https://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/abs/pii/S0901502713002427

Gadwins

• Private
« Reply #4 on: June 13, 2022, 12:37:22 AM »
I would be careful about german phd thesis in medicine. They are not more worth than a bachelor thesis or a long homework. Many countries don't accept german medicine phd as phd. Very often the advisors don't care about them. If you read them, you need for sure the technical knowledge about scientific work to see if there are any mistakes.