Author Topic: Is this site sponsored by surgeons?  (Read 2933 times)

jawgraphy

Is this site sponsored by surgeons?
« on: June 04, 2022, 07:45:31 AM »
Genuinely interested to know. Thanks

GJ

• Administrator
Re: Is this site sponsored by surgeons?
« Reply #1 on: June 06, 2022, 06:50:00 AM »
Genuinely interested to know. Thanks

Hah. No.
Millimeters are miles on the face.

jawgraphy

« Reply #2 on: July 08, 2022, 01:34:07 PM »
OK. Just wondered if the recommendations and advice was 'sponsored' at all.

And if that's not the case, then may i ask who runs this forum, and if no money is changing hands then...how is it maintained so well? (I'm not being cynical here or playing dumb, I'm just genuinely interested as to the motive behind the forum. Seems quite a lot of time and effort goes in to running a forum if no financial gains are to be had from it...?)

Thanks!

kavan

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: July 08, 2022, 01:49:36 PM »
I VOLUNTEER my time and knowledge. I receive no funds from this board. I'm not the owner though. GJ is the owner. I often refrain from giving open recommendations for surgeons as to avoid appearance of promoting them. I'm not a surgeon.
Please. No PMs for private advice. Board issues only.

GJ

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: July 09, 2022, 03:17:38 AM »
Donations are required to register, and that funds hosting fees.

There are no sponsors or anything like that. I have a degree in computer science, so I can maintain that part of things easily. When I started the site over 10 years ago, all the other jaw sites were very pro-jaw surgery, and when cases went wrong they'd blame the patient and write it off as a rarity, then go back to cheer-leading jaw surgery, so I started this one to be more factual and educational about things...that there are real risks, etc. I'm not a doctor, I'm not sponsored by doctors, and I have no "motive" other than being realistic about the surgery.
Millimeters are miles on the face.

jawgraphy

« Reply #5 on: July 12, 2022, 01:50:12 PM »
I VOLUNTEER my time and knowledge. I receive no funds from this board. I'm not the owner though. GJ is the owner. I often refrain from giving open recommendations for surgeons as to avoid appearance of promoting them. I'm not a surgeon.

I see. Thanks!

jawgraphy

« Reply #6 on: July 12, 2022, 01:54:21 PM »
Donations are required to register, and that funds hosting fees.

There are no sponsors or anything like that. I have a degree in computer science, so I can maintain that part of things easily. When I started the site over 10 years ago, all the other jaw sites were very pro-jaw surgery, and when cases went wrong they'd blame the patient and write it off as a rarity, then go back to cheer-leading jaw surgery, so I started this one to be more factual and educational about things...that there are real risks, etc. I'm not a doctor, I'm not sponsored by doctors, and I have no "motive" other than being realistic about the surgery.

I see, thanks. That's good to know. This industry, at times, does seem a bit f'd up to me, and at times it feels painstakingly laborious to become knowledgeable on everything. So it's cool that you host this site.

Presumably you yourself have had DJS, hence the interest in this subject...? Were you a one-and-done? Or any complicated revisions needed?