Author Topic: Can I skip braces if I have straight teeth and don't care about bite?  (Read 1685 times)

MrRochester

I have already worn braces in the past and still wear my retainers nightly so my teeth are perfectly straight. If I don't care about my bite at all and strictly want surgery for cosmetic reasons, is it at all possible or feasible to skip braces altogether and just get orthognathic surgery without enduring braces?

Optimistic

• I am class I
Re: Can I skip braces if I have straight teeth and don't care about bite?
« Reply #1 on: August 16, 2013, 06:53:58 AM »
No.
01/10/14 - Last night I spilt spaghetti sauce on my chin for the very first time in my life and cried.

pekay

« Reply #2 on: August 16, 2013, 10:44:49 AM »
it's a really bad idea (imo)

I honestly think the orthodontic treatment before and after surgery is 50% of the entire journey, some surgeons only work with certain orthos because they are that anal about the how the teeth should be positioned/aligned/etc..
Chopsticks > Spoons

MrRochester

« Reply #3 on: August 16, 2013, 11:00:53 AM »
but cosmetically speaking, there is no advantage to braces is there? My teeth are already perfectly straight. What exactly is the point of wearing them? Is the bite just about chewing for someone like me who's already worn braces for 5+ years? If so, I don't care at all about how I chew food. I'd be perfectly content to gnaw my food with the side of my mouth if it meant I didn't have to wear braces again and could just go straight to having surgery.

Do surgeons actually need braces on the teeth to perform the surgery itself?