Author Topic: I had a BSSO and chinwing and i look very asymmetrical now. What can i do?  (Read 1304 times)

lilaboy

Hi. After 2 years of waiting I finally had my surgery and I thought I could leave all this behind me. Im 6 weeks post OP and i don't have much swelling left. I don't know why but on my left side i had pretty much all the swelling. My Problem now is, that my jaw on the right side looks way less wide than my left side. I look deformed a bit. How can this happen? Is it because my surgeon widened my jaw more on the left side than on the right side via the chinwing? I dont know if i need another chinwing or no. My jaw also look significantly rounder than before, i guess its also because of the chinwing.
And another question: do i need a little more forward and downward advancement?

See pics here:
https://imgur.com/a/yXgtfhl

Tomasjohn

• Private
Re: I had a BSSO and chinwing and i look very asymmetrical now. What can i do?
« Reply #1 on: December 13, 2022, 07:54:04 AM »
In general: Depending on the movement and goal of a CW as well as the baseline, more or less asymmetry can be expected after a CW.

Your case:
You definitely don't look deformed in the picture. You look good imo. Can't comment on the result of a surgery without knowing what the baseline was (before picture, scan..)

In the scan you can see a difference between the cw osteotomy lines on both sides.
But with the information you provide no one can tell you the reason why.

Why do you think you need more movement? I don't see how this would improve anything.

mediumdrinkofwater

« Reply #2 on: December 13, 2022, 12:14:30 PM »
What movements were exactly made? How much mm with the bsso? And how much advancement via the cw? I think you look good as well. The rounded angles come with the cw unfortunately. I do not think you need more downwards or forward advancement.
« Last Edit: December 13, 2022, 12:24:09 PM by mediumdrinkofwater »

lilaboy

« Reply #3 on: December 13, 2022, 03:02:09 PM »
Why do you think you need more movement? I don't see how this would improve anything.

Because my chin is not in line with my lips and i could need a bit downward movement, right?

What movements were exactly made? How much mm with the bsso? And how much advancement via the cw? I think you look good as well. The rounded angles come with the cw unfortunately. I do not think you need more downwards or forward advancement.

Unfortunately i dont know how many mm. But it was alot. I guess 1 - 1.5cm in total. How can I fix my roundish face and the asymmetry? I dont like it at all

Here i edited me with a bit more chin and more downward and better jaw angle. Can i archive this with Implants and a geniplasty?

https://imgur.com/a/diATq9H
« Last Edit: December 13, 2022, 03:21:00 PM by lilaboy »

kavan

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: December 13, 2022, 03:42:29 PM »
Could be you are engaging us in body dysmorphic disorder.

Your front face photo shows one ear is higher up and more forward than the other one. Also, more facial hair can be seen on the lower cheek area where one ear is held higher up than on the other side. So what you are doing in the photo is turning the head so that part of the face is CLOSER to the camera and brought more into the foreground of the picture plane leaving the other part more in the background. That alone will make one side look 'bigger'. Unless one ear is significantly HIGHER and more FORWARD to the face as the other one, if that's how you look at yourself in the mirror to judge asymmetry, it could mean body dysmorphic disorder.

It isn't uncommon for BBD types to strike uneven poses as to engage others to 'see their asymmetry'.

If it isn't BDD, than you would need a properly aligned frontal photo.
Please. No PMs for private advice. Board issues only.

lilaboy

« Reply #5 on: December 13, 2022, 11:50:46 PM »
I dont think its BDD because i see it more clearly in the mirror. I tried to show it better from s different angle. In this photo isnt my right side way smaller and my left side way bigger? It looks really strange or not? How could i solve this issue?

https://imgur.com/a/jDACN7i

kavan

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: December 14, 2022, 12:05:47 AM »
no idea
Please. No PMs for private advice. Board issues only.

Gadwins

• Private
« Reply #7 on: December 14, 2022, 02:08:45 AM »
I dont think its BDD because i see it more clearly in the mirror. I tried to show it better from s different angle. In this photo isnt my right side way smaller and my left side way bigger? It looks really strange or not? How could i solve this issue?

https://imgur.com/a/jDACN7i

I think the one side is not enough hidden in the shadow. If you could hide it even more, maybe we could even better to judge it.

lilaboy

« Reply #8 on: December 14, 2022, 02:54:52 AM »
I think the one side is not enough hidden in the shadow. If you could hide it even more, maybe we could even better to judge it.

Just look at the sides of the jaw. Where the gonial angles are. One goes straight down and the right side goes diagonal

downwardgrowth

« Reply #9 on: December 14, 2022, 02:57:26 AM »
YOU LOOK really good to be honest. I dont think ur asymmetry would be noticeable irl

Can I see ur befores?

Personally I think you should seek therapy or accept it and not touch anything.

If it bothers u that much get a custom implant. I hear pagnoni does em cheap.

Tomasjohn

• Private
« Reply #10 on: December 14, 2022, 05:59:23 AM »
YOU LOOK really good to be honest. I dont think ur asymmetry would be noticeable irl

Can I see ur befores?

Personally I think you should seek therapy or accept it and not touch anything.

If it bothers u that much get a custom implant. I hear pagnoni does em cheap.

I agree. Leave it for the moment. It has only been six weeks since surgery. No picture you showed us would justify more surgery imo and the morph was such a small difference. Different but not better.

I think the best advice right now is to take the hard route: Try to focus on other things. Put effort in and really try not obsessing over your astehtic/surgery. In a couple of weeks you will see everything in a different perspective, much clearer and more logical.

And also keep in mind that most people on this site tgive honest feedback. I really think you look good in the pictures. So.. maybe you do?

Yes I see some asymmetry but it does not look bad to me and I would not think about it outside of this forum.