Author Topic: Will my aesthetics improve with jaw surgery?  (Read 1280 times)

jeremyliu88852

Will my aesthetics improve with jaw surgery?
« on: January 03, 2023, 05:29:42 PM »
I have scheduled a maxillomandibular advancement with Dr. Walline at LACOMS. I have sleep apnea. I plan to have rhinoplasty after. But I am wondering, will my aesthetics improve with jaw surgery? Am I making the right decision?

jeremyliu88852

Re: Will my aesthetics improve with jaw surgery?
« Reply #1 on: January 03, 2023, 05:36:38 PM »

jeremyliu88852

« Reply #2 on: January 03, 2023, 05:37:33 PM »
« Last Edit: January 03, 2023, 07:06:06 PM by jeremyliu88852 »

Tomasjohn

• Private
« Reply #3 on: January 05, 2023, 04:11:29 AM »
Yes, just make sure that the astehtic will be discussed as well and improved form is also a goal of the surgery. Form and Function.

An example for only function: There are sleep apnea cases that are often covered by insurance and they just move upper and lower jaw forward (if the bite is good) with the only goal to clear the airway. Results often in a chimp look.

jeremyliu88852

« Reply #4 on: January 05, 2023, 04:46:54 AM »
Yes, just make sure that the astehtic will be discussed as well and improved form is also a goal of the surgery. Form and Function.

An example for only function: There are sleep apnea cases that are often covered by insurance and they just move upper and lower jaw forward (if the bite is good) with the only goal to clear the airway. Results often in a chimp look.

What would you ask for aesthetic wise in my case?

Tomasjohn

• Private
« Reply #5 on: January 05, 2023, 05:48:12 AM »
What would you ask for aesthetic wise in my case?

I can't answer this, sorry.
What i meant is, make sure you ask the surgeon what he wants to do (rotation? Where is the rotation point?, .., etc ). Ask him how this will affect your looks. Speak with him about any astehtic concern you might have.

Without an exact plan no one can give feedback on the plan.

That said: The picture with the planned outcome looks good to me with the CW rotation.
 However i don't know that much about jawsurgery so i am not the best to give feedback on this topic or interpret the picture you shared

GJ

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: January 09, 2023, 09:11:50 AM »
If you have apnea, you should at least get that benefit. In terms of aesthetics, that after looks much better, no? It will depend on their execution of that plan and how things like your nose react (expend, etc). Do they use an alar stitch to control that? It looks like they want to do a CCW rotation on you, which makes sense given your starting point.

That's a good office IMO. I consulted there. I liked them. Very professional and all business, and conservative, which is good with jaw surgery. My guess is they will try to do just enough of what is needed to fix the problems and nothing more. The only thing I didn't like about that office is Relle wanted to do implants on my cheeks.
Millimeters are miles on the face.

jeremyliu88852

« Reply #7 on: January 09, 2023, 03:17:24 PM »
If you have apnea, you should at least get that benefit. In terms of aesthetics, that after looks much better, no? It will depend on their execution of that plan and how things like your nose react (expend, etc). Do they use an alar stitch to control that? It looks like they want to do a CCW rotation on you, which makes sense given your starting point.

That's a good office IMO. I consulted there. I liked them. Very professional and all business, and conservative, which is good with jaw surgery. My guess is they will try to do just enough of what is needed to fix the problems and nothing more. The only thing I didn't like about that office is Relle wanted to do implants on my cheeks.

Thanks for your advice.

The after does look better in terms of the side profile, but I am worried about my front profile looking worse. Should this be a concern?

Is there someone you would recommend over LACOMS, Walline, and Relle?

GJ

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: January 10, 2023, 08:50:31 AM »
Thanks for your advice.

The after does look better in terms of the side profile, but I am worried about my front profile looking worse. Should this be a concern?

Is there someone you would recommend over LACOMS, Walline, and Relle?

Relle has the most experience, but Walline has trained under him, and to my knowledge is a good up and coming surgeon.

Any time you move the upper jaw, there's a concern of an undesirable outcome, just due to the lip and nose area changing. It's a major aesthetic risk of the surgery. If you have a good plan, which it appears you do, it should be minimized. An alar stich should also minimize widening of the nostrils to around 1mm. Expect at least 1mm of widening.
Millimeters are miles on the face.