Author Topic: Biobank bones  (Read 1090 times)

sharkie007

Biobank bones
« on: May 03, 2023, 03:01:32 AM »
Hello,

Do you guys know if the bone implants from biobanks stay? I heard 1 surgeon using it as a jaw implant but when I talked to another plastic surgeon, he said that all of those bone implants will get absorbed and nothing will stay. Do you know what is the case with these biobank bone implants?

Thanks!

kavan

• Global Moderator
Re: Biobank bones
« Reply #1 on: May 04, 2023, 01:33:10 PM »
Bone resorbs with age.

Jaw implants made from man made, manufactured materials  DON'T resorb with age.

Given that bone in a LIVING person resorbs with age, do you think that bone from a DEAD PERSON is NOT going to resorb with age???

I think that is sufficient info for you to figure out on your own which one is going to last longer.
Please. No PMs for private advice. Board issues only.

thedude

« Reply #2 on: August 22, 2023, 04:42:19 PM »
I’ve never heard of using raw bone as an implant, though I’ve always thought it was a good idea.

Ideally you want a material that will integrate with your own bone. Cadaver bone is the second best next to bone harvested from your own body in allowing for this. I’m sure you get some resorption but you should also get some new bone growth into the material to offset this.

While plastic implants don’t resorb, they cause the bone underneath them to resorb. They also cause a local inflammatory reaction that in my opinion gives you a rather sickly appearance. Look at Zac Efron to see what I mean.

kavan

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: August 23, 2023, 12:52:29 PM »
In chin wings, bone (from the crest of the pelvis 'hip' graft) is used to buttress, 'sandwich' separated sections of bone (for elongating an area). But, in that situation, it's used to fill in a GAP left by bone separation and not to make any specific contour shape from it.

Facial implants (common ones used) are made from silicone or a material with micro-pores (used to be called 'porex') which allow bone growth within the pores. If custom ones, they are designed to fit exactly on to one's bone structure and also to give a desired shape for a 'look' one wants. The ones that are porous for bone growth within are hard to remove because they integrate with your own bone. The silicone ones are easier to remove because they don't. But with those ones, if not sewn into a really tight subperiosteal pocket, they can have micro movements with muscle movements and it is that type of friction that is associated with bone erosion, most common place for the friction is to the chin.

Although your own bone can resorb with age/over time, not sure but I think SOFT TISSUE coverage goes at a faster rate and that can give a 'gargoyle' type look over very prominent bone structure. Have you ever seen photos of Nicolai Tesla in his YOUTH and then at OLD AGE? It's like he kept his very prominent bone structure but lost all the soft tissue coverage of it with passing time.
Please. No PMs for private advice. Board issues only.