Author Topic: Do I have a receded Mandible / Maxilla? looking for guidance  (Read 1079 times)

Abdul27

Hi all! I am new to the forums, posted this by mistake under functional jaw surgery and reposting here.

A few months ago I had an accident and broke my nose, had to get a nasal reduction of the fracture but I think this accident might have sparked dysmorphia :( I am not happy with how I look and recently I started to pay attention that I have a receded chin, would it be possible only from the pictures to tell if I have a receded Mandible / Maxilla/ Face asymmetry? I mean, of course, I do and if yes, to what extent, is surgery the option I have? I am 27 years old (I get told I look younger all the time and now I know it's probably because of my rounded face :( )

If Surgery is the only solution, what surgery should I be looking for? and do you think it will make a big difference to my all appearance?

I also heard about Mewing / improving head posture and chewing habits would stimulate forward and upward maxilla growth and improve appearance, I have been mewing for a week and working on my chewing/breathing/swallowing habits, is it still possible at this age or is surgery the only option? I am open to suggestions

GJ

• Administrator
Re: Do I have a receded Mandible / Maxilla? looking for guidance
« Reply #1 on: June 03, 2023, 06:46:18 AM »
Based on those images and your head position, it is hard to say. You should see a surgeon and get a proper scan or at least an x-ray.

My gut says this is not a surgery case, but I'd want to look at better records.
Millimeters are miles on the face.

kavan

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: June 03, 2023, 01:55:54 PM »
Given that dysmorphia with your chin/jaw was triggered by a nose fracture, if you were not bothered by your chin/jaw before your accident, I don't want to say anything that could feed into dysmorphia. What I will say is that since your dysmorphia was triggered by the changes in your nose, subsequent to your accident, the surgery to look into would be revision rhinoplasty.
Please. No PMs for private advice. Board issues only.

Abdul27

« Reply #3 on: June 03, 2023, 03:35:00 PM »
Based on those images and your head position, it is hard to say. You should see a surgeon and get a proper scan or at least an x-ray.

My gut says this is not a surgery case, but I'd want to look at better records.
Thanks a lot, appreciate the feedback, will do that

Abdul27

« Reply #4 on: June 03, 2023, 03:39:03 PM »
Given that dysmorphia with your chin/jaw was triggered by a nose fracture, if you were not bothered by your chin/jaw before your accident, I don't want to say anything that could feed into dysmorphia. What I will say is that since your dysmorphia was triggered by the changes in your nose, subsequent to your accident, the surgery to look into would be revision rhinoplasty.
Anything you say probably won't, it's just the fact that I never really paid attention to my jaw/chin but now the harm is done and I am really unhappy with the way my chin/jaw looks :( My doctor says it will take up to 1 year for the nose to get into the desired shape, how about my Mandible/Maxilla/Jaw, do you think I have an underdeveloped or recessed maxilla/Mandible? should I be considering surgery? Appreciate the feedback

kavan

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: June 03, 2023, 05:18:22 PM »
Anything you say probably won't, it's just the fact that I never really paid attention to my jaw/chin but now the harm is done and I am really unhappy with the way my chin/jaw looks :( My doctor says it will take up to 1 year for the nose to get into the desired shape, how about my Mandible/Maxilla/Jaw, do you think I have an underdeveloped or recessed maxilla/Mandible? should I be considering surgery? Appreciate the feedback

I don't think you should consider jaw surgery right now. You could consider spending some time learning about it more than just not liking your looks.
Please. No PMs for private advice. Board issues only.

Abdul27

« Reply #6 on: June 06, 2023, 04:56:50 PM »
I don't think you should consider jaw surgery right now. You could consider spending some time learning about it more than just not liking your looks.
You're absolutely right, thanks Kavan