Author Topic: Removing plates because of pus and infaction and my bone is fragile  (Read 849 times)

Leen

I'm going to remove screws and plates from my lower jaw next week (I have 3 plates and 8 screws on the right side). I developed an infection and pus between the tooth roots and screws, and the screws started protruding from the gum. The procedure will be done under local anesthesia in the clinic. My jaws were ruined in my second surgery; I lost almost all the bone in both my jaws and around my teeth after the double surgery (I look bad aesthetically, and I can't eat well) I couldn't find a treatment in my area, I hoped it would get better, but it got worse. I'm afraid of the procedure because my bone is fragile and could break easily. Any advice or suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.
Note: The lower plates were placed during the first surgery, but in the second surgery, the surgeon cut between them and left them there

Tomasjohn

• Private
Re: Removing plates because of pus and infaction and my bone is fragile
« Reply #1 on: October 15, 2023, 03:12:39 PM »
What happened that led to the current situation?

Will they take out only the upper screws?
I don't know if there is a particular high risk of fracture when removing plates/screws. I don't think so but let's see what others say.

I noticed that some screws are almost fully outside of the bone.

Leen

« Reply #2 on: October 16, 2023, 10:31:26 AM »
Long story ( but I added it to the post) I believe my second surgeon had no prior experience with repeat operations despite being a professor and working in a teaching hospital, I think his experience was more theoretical than practical, and I didn't know.

Will they take out only the upper screws?
only the plate from the lower jaw (right side) where I have the pus, but I was advised to remove the screw only from the upper jaw without the plates (left side)

🙏

Leen

« Reply #3 on: October 16, 2023, 10:52:33 AM »

Well, it seems that I don't know how to edit a post :/

I underwent a lower jaw advancement surgery, but the doctor couldn't advance both sides equally, resulting in asymmetry (one side was raised higher). I ended up with an uneven face, and my original problem wasn't resolved. After five years, I had corrective surgery for both jaws (b-max). The surgeon couldn't remove the screws (from the lower jaw), so he attempted to remove them aggressively from the left side, cut the plate and left the screws on the other side. He also removed a significant amount of bone from my upper jaw; despite he advanced my upper jaw by 4 mm and didn't move it up, I didn't have gummy smile.

I experienced intense pain after I woke from the surgey, my mouth was open, and my lower jaw was jiggling literally. On the second day, he forcefully bonded my jaws together, I felt like my teeth would come out. My jaw remained bonded for two months or more.

I sought another doctor's opinion, who informed me that I had lost a substantial amount of bone, especially in the upper jaw. This loss had affected my teeth, them to move My teeth are still unstable and loose, and it hurts badly when I accidentally chow on my front teeth. I still can't open my mouth more than 2.5 cm. I really really look bad it affected every part of my face, my look was acceptable before this surgery but I needed to advance my lower jaw by 1 cm to look better! I was foolish

Thank you for the observation, I will ask my doctor about it

Tomasjohn

• Private
« Reply #4 on: October 16, 2023, 11:16:33 AM »
Ok. I am sorry for what happened to you. I wish you good luck with your surgery.

Sorry I am curious.
Initially you only moved the lower jaw but it wasn't advanced equall horizontaly?

Also in the second surgery, didn't he move up the upper jaw because he wasn't able to rotate the lower jaw?
« Last Edit: October 16, 2023, 11:25:12 AM by Tomasjohn »

Leen

« Reply #5 on: October 16, 2023, 01:55:38 PM »
Ok. I am sorry for what happened to you. I wish you good luck with your surgery.
Thank you

Yes, horizontally and vertically,he messed up my face

Also in the second surgery, didn't he move up the upper jaw because he wasn't able to rotate the lower jaw?
He was supposed to lift it from one side only and told me that my bone was disintegrating while he was trying to remove the screws and plates. I don't understand why he completed the surgery if my bone was in such bad condition, assuming that was true (and not because he didn't have the right screwdriver and didn't know how to remove the formed bone correctly). I went to another surgeon, who compared the before and after X-ray and told me about the bone loss and the screws.