General Category > Aesthetics

surgeons telling me conflicting information. Reccomendations?

(1/2) > >>

TruthSeeker:
Hey everyone, new user here.

I had bicuspid extraction orthodontics with bands as a teenager to fix my overbite, and although I have a correct bite now,  I since developed some TMJ and pretty bad sleep apnea. Also aesthetically, I developed a dorsal hump that was never there before and my face seems 'longer'.

I had virtual consultations with two surgeons, one who was adamant that I didn't need the surgery, and another who was adamant I did.

Am I candidate for DJS, if so, what would be recommended for the best aesthetic result?

Thanks a lot

https://imgur.com/a/YsZhTEe

Glassjaw:
If the bump bothers you then get a nosejob. Zero need for jaw surgeries aesthetically speaking

TruthSeeker:
would you recommend genio, even though when smiling my chin is clearly quite big relative to my jaw?

kavan:
If one surgeon told you that you didn't 'need' maxfax surgery, it could have been relative to not needing it to fix your bite.

If the other one told you that you DID 'need' surgery, it could have been relative to knowing that you started with an overjet (front teeth/upper jaw infront of the back teeth/lower jaw) because your lower jaw was recessed.

Both are correct in different ways.

In the event you wanted to pursue maxfax (bimax/double jaw) surgery, they would need to decompensate your bite. That means giving you an overJet so your front teeth are forward to your lower teeth which would allow advancement of your lower jaw. Your maxilla will probably have to be cut into also so they can adjust the bite for the teeth to mesh.

So, ya, you would be a candidate for DJS if you wanted to go through all the decompensation being in braces for some time to prepare for a surgery.

So, go back to the surgeon who said you were a candidate and request from him a PLAN as to what he intends to do.

GJ:
Need scans, so see a surgeon and get those.

Based off your photos, you're a borderline case, and in those cases I usually recommend not doing it.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version