Author Topic: Surgeon said taking my chin implant out during DJS isn't guaranteed....help?  (Read 434 times)

Derman0524

I'm a bit confused on this. I have a scheduled double jaw surgery plus genio for Feb 8th and the surgeon said that removing my chin implant isn't guaranteed but she's going to try her best. This part confused me since I'm paying for DJS + genio. Is this common? Should I not be worried? I really want the genioplasty for maximum projection as I'm getting this surgery for sleep apnea. I've been a little anxious about this as my chin implant has never helped with projection after the initial swelling went down

Dopesaint

Doesn’t make sense, did the surgeon explain why? If the surgeons plan is to do a genioplasty they are going to do an intraoral approach and can remove the implant there.

Derman0524

Doesn’t make sense, did the surgeon explain why? If the surgeons plan is to do a genioplasty they are going to do an intraoral approach and can remove the implant there.

The surgeon stated that sometimes chin implants are difficult to take out, and if she needs to dissect too much, then she won't do it as it increases the risk of nerve damage by a large margin. But she'll only find this out at the time of surgery after she finishes the DJS portion of the surgery