Author Topic: Hair Loss  (Read 10030 times)

theganglyguy

Hair Loss
« on: October 10, 2013, 02:25:44 AM »
A little over 3 months ago, I had a lefort 1 to correct my underbite.  Everything's gone pretty smoothly, and I highly recommend the procedure if your insurance covers it.  However...

Hair loss does seem to be a problem associated with this surgery; or, at least, it has been for me.  The generally brutal nature of the first couple weeks of recovery, combined with drastic weight loss, resulted in some hair loss for me.  About a week after surgery, I remember taking a bath and seeing hair everywhere.  However, this can be expected just by using common sense.  Recovering from a major surgery, accompanied by usually drastic weight loss, results in the body de-prioritizing the hair on your head.  However, my hair loss was definitely not bad enough to be significantly noticeable, and everything returned to normal once I got back on a solid diet (I think).

If that was all I'd had to deal with, I'd be content.  However, I've been dealing with a secondary hair loss as of late, called Telogen Effluvium.  Intensive surgery can actually 'shock' the hair follicles into entering their resting state.  Hair follicles stay in this phase for 3 months until they fall out, and then they regrow.  Due to all of the follicles' 'internal clocks' being lined up, more hair tends to diffuse at once than usual.  Sometimes it's not visible, sometimes temporary bald spots develop.   My point is; watch out for the 3 month mark.  Here's a pic that's pretty similar to what I'm going through: http://www.dermnet.com/images/telogen-effluvium/picture/21662

I got hit pretty hard:

Relaxed: http://i.imgur.com/D9gcWqu.jpg
Pulled back: http://i.imgur.com/gWn60LY.jpg

The first pic gives a decent indicator of where my hairline usually is.  While the second exaggerates the issue a bit,  even in the first picture you can see thinning in the same general area as the guy with TE.  TE can actually cause diffusion and thinning all over the place in major cases, so there's that to take into account.
« Last Edit: October 10, 2013, 12:15:37 PM by theganglyguy »

Lazlo

• Private
Re: Hair Loss
« Reply #1 on: October 10, 2013, 02:38:43 AM »
interesting, i've herad about htis a bit. you're a female i think right? so you should just adopt the Ripley form ALien film and/or Natalie Portman shaved head look from V. Frankly I think it looks really hot and will get you through this hump period, healthy for the scalp and your hair will grow back even fuller and thicker! Be a punk and give it a shot!

theganglyguy

« Reply #2 on: October 10, 2013, 02:48:30 AM »
lol nah, I'm a dude, I just have long and wavy hair (outside of the temples, of course).  this would be way worse as a female

Lazlo

• Private
« Reply #3 on: October 10, 2013, 02:50:14 AM »
lol nah, I'm a dude, I just have long and wavy hair (outside of the temples, of course).  this would be way worse as a female

just shave it then dude

Optimistic

• I am class I
« Reply #4 on: October 10, 2013, 06:34:42 AM »
Get on finasteride.
01/10/14 - Last night I spilt spaghetti sauce on my chin for the very first time in my life and cried.

Lazlo

• Private
« Reply #5 on: October 10, 2013, 07:07:26 AM »
Get on finasteride.

no i think it's just temporary

LoveofScotch

« Reply #6 on: October 10, 2013, 11:57:37 AM »
Hi Everyone,

First off, thank you---thank you---thank you for this site. I am super grateful for everyone who has taken the time to post information. Regarding hair loss...don't laugh, but Rogaine. Years ago, I went through a very stressful time (emotionally and physically), and I started to lose obscene amounts of hair. I went to a Dermatologist who then sent me to an Endocrinologist who then sent me back to the Dermatologist. I did several hair counts, and had my blood, urine and saliva tested. After all of that, the best they could recommend...yep, Rogaine. I was told that it is a great solution for preserving hair while an individual is going through an acute crisis. The only catch is that you cannot stop using it before the stressor (whatever that may be) is removed, otherwise you will start losing hair again. Hope this is helpful!

x

• Private
« Reply #7 on: October 10, 2013, 04:02:38 PM »
Amazing how some of us are 2-3 years into researching this s**t and learning new things every week (first the frenulum, now hair loss)

even more amazing that every new thing that emerges seems to be a negative, diminishing the impact of the positives

Lazlo

• Private
« Reply #8 on: October 10, 2013, 04:26:45 PM »
Amazing how some of us are 2-3 years into researching this s**t and learning new things every week (first the frenulum, now hair loss)

even more amazing that every new thing that emerges seems to be a negative, diminishing the impact of the positives

honestly, i've read of hair loss as quite common after any ps procedure (face-lifts, rhinoplasty etc..) and jaw surgery is 10 times more a shock to the system. Besides it's just temporary. It's not like "risk of jaw surgery permanent baldness".

I mean you might actually be going bald due to male pattern baldness and it just freakily coincided with your jaw surgery too...

Alue

• Private
« Reply #9 on: October 10, 2013, 04:31:21 PM »
Sudden hairloss following a surgery is called telogen effluvium.  It's a normally temporary form of hairloss in which the follicles don't miniaturize (as they do in male pattern baldness).  Do a lot of the hairs you see falling out have little bulbs on the end? 

Tiny

• Private
« Reply #10 on: October 11, 2013, 02:22:32 AM »
I didn't notice any after my rhino, guess I was lucky

Now, can we please stop using the word "frenulum".   ::) :o ;D

dantheman

• Private
« Reply #11 on: October 11, 2013, 01:08:54 PM »
honestly, i've read of hair loss as quite common after any ps procedure (face-lifts, rhinoplasty etc..) and jaw surgery is 10 times more a shock to the system. Besides it's just temporary. It's not like "risk of jaw surgery permanent baldness".

I mean you might actually be going bald due to male pattern baldness and it just freakily coincided with your jaw surgery too...

Male pattern baldness is not sudden the way TE is. TE can happen with intense stress and will not respond to finasteride. It is as far as i know a temporary condition, however.

chinnychinchin

« Reply #12 on: October 16, 2015, 08:10:27 AM »
I think I'm going through this right now. God I hope it's this and not male pattern baldness. I'm exactly at the three month mark and just in the past 2 weeks my hair went from being full and thick to brittle, dry, and thin. I've lost an amazing amount of hair and I'm starting to look like a cancer patient. The hair loss appears to be diffuse and everywhere but especially concentrated at the crown. And I also have his intense scalp itch. Going to the derm today to get it checked out.

Gregor Samsa

« Reply #13 on: October 16, 2015, 08:24:52 AM »
If your hairline is receding then it's most likely male pattern baldness (MPB). I started noticing thinning on the crown after my surgery but I also have a receding hairline so I would be more inclined to attribute it to MPB than to temporary hairloss induced by the surgery.

terry947

« Reply #14 on: October 16, 2015, 04:36:12 PM »
Omg i think I have this aswell, I had a really stressful couple of months. My Hair is falling out everywhere but not balding. nothing is receding just thinning. And my head Is SUPER SUPER itchy! sucks!!!