Author Topic: What procedures would you suggest for my eye area?  (Read 71885 times)

Charles-Guillaume

What procedures would you suggest for my eye area?
« on: June 20, 2015, 02:01:13 AM »
Unfortunately I don't have any great pics available, only this one taken from a slightly awkward angle:

I do know that my eyes are overly close-set (1st to 35th percentile depending on the study), but I am not sure if they actually qualify for medical hypotelorism (though, if the 1st--or sub-fifth more generally--percentile thing is correct they certainly should) and I am interested in pursuing craniofacial surgery for it. However, I am going to put this aspiration of mine on ice until I have consulted with several experts.

Does it seem to you that my orbital rims are underdeveloped? The way I see it, my infraorbital area looks somehow puffy and "loose". Would I benefit from a modified LeFort III? For the record, I just had a LeFort I + BSSO three weeks ago and I am already eating pizza and exercising, so it would seem that my body is fairly good at recuperation (judging by this one instance, anyhow). I am content with the results (though I am still somewhat swollen, of course), but I don't think that the adiposity of my eye area has changed much if at all. I don't have scleral show, but another concern of mine is a certain eyelid asymmetry. It isn't obvious from this image (I will add another one when I can), but the "hood" over my right eyelid is droopier than that of my left, largely concealing the upper eyelid. Is this something that could (and ought to) be surgicially corrected?

PloskoPlus

Re: What procedures would you suggest for my eye area?
« Reply #1 on: June 20, 2015, 02:27:19 AM »
They look fine here.  More pictures.

Charles-Guillaume

« Reply #2 on: June 20, 2015, 04:23:12 AM »
They look fine here.  More pictures.

Hopefully I can take a few later today provided that I can manage to borrow a camera. So you don't think that my eyes look overly close-set? Perhaps it would be more obvious if you could see the entirety of my nose.

Bazarov

« Reply #3 on: June 20, 2015, 04:31:31 AM »
It isn't obvious from this image (I will add another one when I can), but the "hood" over my right eyelid is droopier than that of my left, largely concealing the upper eyelid. Is this something that could (and ought to) be surgicially corrected?

This is desirable.

Your orbital rims look okay to me.

The eyes are definitely close-set. Good luck if you try to get it rectified, but it's a serious procedure; certainly not something to be undertaken lightly.

Charles-Guillaume

« Reply #4 on: June 20, 2015, 04:47:49 AM »
This is desirable.

That is interesting, I wouldn't have thought so.

The eyes are definitely close-set. Good luck if you try to get it rectified, but it's a serious procedure; certainly not something to be undertaken lightly.

By "okay" do you mean that you don't think that I would benefit at all from advancing them or that you consider my issue comparatively negligible?

As for the eyeset I figured as much. The distance between my pupils appears to be 58-60 mm (no matter how many times I measure this margin of error cannot be circumvented), which is, I have gathered, a pretty damn small range for a man. I know that box osteotomies or whatever they call them are very invasive, but is it significantly worse than a LeFort III? Most of the cases that I can find on the internet are very severe, requiring inward/outward movement of several centimetres. I suspect that even a centimeter of additional distance between the eyes could make me look freaky in the other direction instead, so I would opt for 4-6 mm or something like that.

PloskoPlus

« Reply #5 on: June 20, 2015, 05:38:02 AM »
The ratio of your IPD to the distance between your glabella and your mouth is more important than the IPD value alone.  IOW, the 60mm IPD is fine if the distance from your glalbella to your mouth is also small - you just have a small face and your eyes are not close set then.

Charles-Guillaume

« Reply #6 on: June 20, 2015, 05:54:47 AM »
The ratio of your IPD to the distance between your glabella and your mouth is more important than the IPD value alone.  IOW, the 60mm IPD is fine if the distance from your glalbella to your mouth is also small - you just have a small face and your eyes are not close set then.

Yeah, obviously. My midface is normal in terms of length, though. Rather than attempting some radical surgery to actually move my mouth up (which would give me a small feminine face) I would prefer to attempt radical surgery to move my eyes apart. ;)

PloskoPlus

« Reply #7 on: June 20, 2015, 06:16:50 AM »
Yeah, obviously. My midface is normal in terms of length, though. Rather than attempting some radical surgery to actually move my mouth up (which would give me a small feminine face) I would prefer to attempt radical surgery to move my eyes apart. ;)

OK, makes total sense.  But there is that notion - if you're not good looking after jaw surgery, you never will be.  But who am I to judge?  I had jaw surgery 8 months ago and I am now contemplating another 3 hardcore surgeries.

Anyway, I think Alain Delon's eyes appear fairly close together, and he was a good looking dude.

I think the main problem with these craniofacial surgeries is that they are usually performed on the severely deformed.  Being a couple of mms off here or there is not the end of the world.  The outcome is always better than the starting point.  You, OTOH, do not appear to have a severe deformity, so the "good enough" precision that the surgeons doing these surgeries are used to, may leave you WORSE off.

terry947

« Reply #8 on: June 20, 2015, 11:40:39 AM »
I think your eyes are good. They do not look like they are too close to each other. If you posted a full face shot it'd be easier to judge.

Serra

• Private
« Reply #9 on: June 20, 2015, 02:04:08 PM »
This is desirable.

I like how the figure is smiling... :o

Charles-Guillaume

« Reply #10 on: June 22, 2015, 01:37:26 AM »
OK, makes total sense.  But there is that notion - if you're not good looking after jaw surgery, you never will be.  But who am I to judge?  I had jaw surgery 8 months ago and I am now contemplating another 3 hardcore surgeries.

Sounds like defeatism to me. :)

Orbital and malar surgeries should have at least as big of an impact as jaw surgery, considering how important this area of the face is.

Anyway, I think Alain Delon's eyes appear fairly close together, and he was a good looking dude.

Yeah, Alain Delon looked amazing.

I think the main problem with these craniofacial surgeries is that they are usually performed on the severely deformed.  Being a couple of mms off here or there is not the end of the world.  The outcome is always better than the starting point.  You, OTOH, do not appear to have a severe deformity, so the "good enough" precision that the surgeons doing these surgeries are used to, may leave you WORSE off.

This sounds reasonable enough. However, whenever I am forced to gaze upon my face, it strikes me as a bolt from clear blue heavens how much more harmonious it would look if I could have it and all of its features (save for the nose) expanded bilateraly from the midline by just a few mm. I am a well-meaning but kind of socially inept guy, and I think that I would benefit greatly from being perceived as "oh, that guy looks good".

I think your eyes are good. They do not look like they are too close to each other. If you posted a full face shot it'd be easier to judge.

Alright, thanks for your input. I will try to add more images--though I won't want to post a direct frontal shot, I could perhaps try to take one that illustrates my PD to nasal length ratio.

PloskoPlus

« Reply #11 on: June 22, 2015, 02:10:19 AM »
Sounds like defeatism to me. :)

Orbital and malar surgeries should have at least as big of an impact as jaw surgery, considering how important this area of the face is.
If you widen your face through malar osteotomy, your eyes may look more close set.  Building up the bridge of the nose has the same effect, FWIW.

Believe me, I'm well aware of the importance of eyes.  IMO, the eyes are at least 80% of looks.  I have 2 surgeons willing to advance my infraorbital rims.  But my face is wide, my IPD is 67 or 68, my eyes are small.  I'm afraid they may look like "piss holes in the snow" afterwards.

Yeah, Alain Delon looked amazing.
For whatever reason, his eyes look closer together, the older he got.  I wonder why.  And his eye brows look higher as well.  I wonder if he did some stupid "rejuvenation" brow lift like this guy:

dantheman

• Private
« Reply #12 on: June 22, 2015, 08:22:42 PM »
Hopefully I can take a few later today provided that I can manage to borrow a camera. So you don't think that my eyes look overly close-set? Perhaps it would be more obvious if you could see the entirety of my nose.

Dude, what era are you from?

PloskoPlus

« Reply #13 on: June 22, 2015, 08:53:17 PM »
Dude, what era are you from?

LOL.  Pretty sure he means a proper camera.  Phone cameras have too much lens distortion.

Lazlo

• Private
« Reply #14 on: June 22, 2015, 10:41:12 PM »
Your eyes are not too close set at all. They have a good shape.

You will not benefit from infraorbital rim advancement, in fact quite the opposite as that may indeed make your eyes look too close set. There's nothing to be changed in this quadrant of your face. Final word.