Author Topic: BUCCAL FAT REMOVAL  (Read 7448 times)

Lazlo

• Private
BUCCAL FAT REMOVAL
« on: April 11, 2017, 09:19:58 AM »
I cannot emphasize how much you should NEVER EVER EVER get this procedure. My doctor promised me it would look great. Several people and docs warned against it. Now 9 months after surgery looks like a someone took an ice cream scoop and scooped out a giant chunk of flesh from the side of my face. Does not look aesthetic, "chiselled" or any such thing. LOOKS DEFORMED.

I'll be  checking out Dr. Steven Cohen in California because he seems to know how to rejuvenate the area with fat transfer. Problem is, BUCCAL FAT PAD is not like just some fat in your face. It's a actually more like a little muscle or membrane of tissue and once removed it's actually gone and cannot be replaced. You can't just gain fat and it will fill out again. The best you can do is approximate its replenishment by injecting fat back into that area, but it will never be the same shape or density as the tissue that was excised. Its a f**king HORRIBLE procedure. I've never even seen a good result on the web. I was really really stupid for getting it done. Just goes to show you, surgeons can push procedures that are f**king useless and lead to terrible results.

Dr. Sam Lam is one of those surgeons who really advises against this procedure and he was right.

Milli_Meters

Re: BUCCAL FAT REMOVAL
« Reply #1 on: April 11, 2017, 09:35:36 AM »
Thank you for the caution. Sorry you had to suffer with this procedure. :-\

JawKid7

« Reply #2 on: April 12, 2017, 05:03:06 AM »
how was your jaw surgery result?
"Everyone sees what you appear to be, few experience what you really are.”

had upper jaw surgery on 5th October 2015

Onyx

« Reply #3 on: April 12, 2017, 12:49:55 PM »
Sailer does a good job replacing buccal fat with that cartilage s**t he uses. Hella expensive though.
Yes there are a few other surgeons in the world that use cartilage for augmentation but wouldn't cartilage be too hard to replace buccal fat, Sailer uses cartilage for everything...

jusken

• Private
« Reply #4 on: April 12, 2017, 04:57:26 PM »
Really devastating to hear bad news after surgeries, wish I could impart more of what I know with you guys to prevent many of you from going through with this stuff.

I'm sorry to say, but it's incredibly foolish from my perspective.  The so-called experts on this forum really lack a fundamental understanding of what you're working with here.  The 'craft' of a surgeon is nothing more than several very primitive and often times unpredictable tools.  Craft is something useful to an artist or engineer, but engineering aesthetics with such a primitive tool set is FOOLISH!

And I should know, I do 3D art for a living.  We have pinpoint control over every vertex, and we still get uncanny valley s**t all the time.  This really became clear to me when I took my DICOM scan into ZBrush (professional sculpting tool) to create a visualization of what adding volume to the gaunt areas of my face would look like.  I think I did a great job, but I also had TOTAL control over this process.  I can add/subtract/undo/revert/start over.  Surgeons have maybe 10% of this level of control...  you can't go back, you can't undo and you don't have the same level of precision.  Worse, any pre-visualization is so laughably crude, it's arguably just straight up misleading.  Surgical procedures have been sort of warped from 'good enough' corrections of  facial deformities to promising perfection - and we aren't even close to there yet.

I hope you're able to correct this Lazlo, but be conservative man... surgeons are just salesmen with a kinda crappy tool set.

Lazlo

• Private
« Reply #5 on: April 12, 2017, 05:32:38 PM »
Really devastating to hear bad news after surgeries, wish I could impart more of what I know with you guys to prevent many of you from going through with this stuff.

I'm sorry to say, but it's incredibly foolish from my perspective.  The so-called experts on this forum really lack a fundamental understanding of what you're working with here.  The 'craft' of a surgeon is nothing more than several very primitive and often times unpredictable tools.  Craft is something useful to an artist or engineer, but engineering aesthetics with such a primitive tool set is FOOLISH!

And I should know, I do 3D art for a living.  We have pinpoint control over every vertex, and we still get uncanny valley s**t all the time.  This really became clear to me when I took my DICOM scan into ZBrush (professional sculpting tool) to create a visualization of what adding volume to the gaunt areas of my face would look like.  I think I did a great job, but I also had TOTAL control over this process.  I can add/subtract/undo/revert/start over.  Surgeons have maybe 10% of this level of control...  you can't go back, you can't undo and you don't have the same level of precision.  Worse, any pre-visualization is so laughably crude, it's arguably just straight up misleading.  Surgical procedures have been sort of warped from 'good enough' corrections of  facial deformities to promising perfection - and we aren't even close to there yet.

I hope you're able to correct this Lazlo, but be conservative man... surgeons are just salesmen with a kinda crappy tool set.

You're so right brother. Thanks for being so understanding. And what you explain here is right on. These surgeons are f**king primitives. What blows my mind is that the technology exists for computers and programming to play a much more fundamental role here --there could be a process where your actual skull is modelled and the soft tissue is represented 100 percent to the mm and then very precise instructions for augmentation etc. could be used as a guide. But the f**king surgeons don't even do that. They just eyeball everything. And their eyeballing sucks.

I think with the right fat augmentation approached intraorally as Dr. Steven Cohen (who is also a max fac by the way) can fix this procedure somewhat. But here's what I don't understand. Unless a surgeon is 100 percent sure that a particular procedure will be beneficial then why do they hard sell the procedure????? I was told bicuspid removal would have ZERO NEGATIVE EFFECTS. It ruined my face. And I argued with my ortho several times to wait and not do it and he insisted. Then when it turned out a disaster he says it's nothing. And why was this Buccal fat removal pushed on me!!!!??? I asked several times are you sure its a good idea and it turned out to be just disfiguring and horribly aging which is the exact opposite reason I was having these f**king surgeries.

I have to say, 9 months out from this s**t was it worth it??? Nope. And its quite the negatives are not worth the results. Let's hope there are some major leaps in cosmetic regeneration so i can get a new mouth of teeth, bite and jaw.

stupidjaws

• CFO
  • The panic the vomit the yuppies networking
« Reply #6 on: April 12, 2017, 05:45:21 PM »
lazlo i'm sorry to hear you this way. i full heartedly agree with jusken, on point analysis.

PloskoPlus

PloskoPlus

« Reply #8 on: April 12, 2017, 07:42:00 PM »
IMO every surgeon has a hammer in search of a nail. It's a business after all.

The Quest for Aesthetics

« Reply #9 on: April 14, 2017, 12:59:51 PM »
Lazlo just a thought - is it possible that the reason it looks off is because it only dealt with one part of the face as far as fat is concerned? I don't know your bodyfat levels but if they're quite high mabye it would look quite weird to have fat missing in only one area of the face ?

slysurfz

• Private
« Reply #10 on: April 14, 2017, 01:56:26 PM »
I totally agree with Lazlo, buccal fat should not be removed. I have really chubby cheeks and I hate it. I looked at getting this procedure but was warned against it.

It so happens that the chubby cheeks of mine are actually good volume but since i have a short face growth pattern the cheeks are all bunched up. I am hoping once the downgrafting and vertical lengthening of my face is done it will somewhat reduce this issue.

If you hyperfocus on an issue and just address that one thing it might not look great on the whole. 1 + 1 is not equal to 2 in cosmetic surgery

PloskoPlus

« Reply #11 on: April 14, 2017, 04:56:30 PM »
I totally agree with Lazlo, buccal fat should not be removed. I have really chubby cheeks and I hate it. I looked at getting this procedure but was warned against it.

It so happens that the chubby cheeks of mine are actually good volume but since i have a short face growth pattern the cheeks are all bunched up. I am hoping once the downgrafting and vertical lengthening of my face is done it will somewhat reduce this issue.

If you hyperfocus on an issue and just address that one thing it might not look great on the whole. 1 + 1 is not equal to 2 in cosmetic surgery
I would lose weight first and foremost. I had hamster cheeks as well. Losing 11kg shrunk them completely. The buccal fat is now a tiny little ball that I call barely feel with my fingers.

tjarrr

« Reply #12 on: April 15, 2017, 03:02:58 AM »
I think buccal fat removal makes you look worse if you have recessed or deficient cheekbones to begin with. This doctor claims that in such cases, cheekbone augmentation (fillers or implants) at the same time as buccal fat removal is the best aesthetic option and does give you that chiseled look. Don't know anything about this doctor but it sounds legit. Unfortunately I feel like the last picture attached is somewhat misleading because obviously there are other changes like her nose and her lips, but if you cover that area with your hand then the cheekbone and buccal region still look better than before. http://www.drmesa.com/general/the-myth-that-buccal-fat-removal-can-make-you-look-older/

OP, maybe consider trying some temporary fillers and see if that makes it look any better?

[attachment deleted by admin]

Lazlo

• Private
« Reply #13 on: April 15, 2017, 11:08:01 AM »
I think buccal fat removal makes you look worse if you have recessed or deficient cheekbones to begin with. This doctor claims that in such cases, cheekbone augmentation (fillers or implants) at the same time as buccal fat removal is the best aesthetic option and does give you that chiseled look. Don't know anything about this doctor but it sounds legit. Unfortunately I feel like the last picture attached is somewhat misleading because obviously there are other changes like her nose and her lips, but if you cover that area with your hand then the cheekbone and buccal region still look better than before. http://www.drmesa.com/general/the-myth-that-buccal-fat-removal-can-make-you-look-older/

OP, maybe consider trying some temporary fillers and see if that makes it look any better?

okay great idea, thanks a lot for the consideration of posting this.

UKMaxfac

« Reply #14 on: April 15, 2017, 01:07:41 PM »
So... do you look better or worse after all this surgery?