Author Topic: Can you move only the teeth?  (Read 1339 times)

StudyHacks

Can you move only the teeth?
« on: September 16, 2019, 09:52:34 PM »
I got biscupids removed, i watched an animation and it showed that the anterior nasal spine doesnt change, if i were to get bimax to move my jaws the 1 cm that i lost, wouldnt my nose be getting moved 1 cm too far? How do we compensate for this? Can you shave the ANS 1cm? Can you move only the teeth?

Post bimax

• Private
Re: Can you move only the teeth?
« Reply #1 on: September 17, 2019, 05:54:10 AM »
Did you just ask if you can move only the teeth 1cm

april

• Private
« Reply #2 on: September 17, 2019, 07:07:05 AM »
From my understanding, with a linear advancement, the ANS moves forward too because they cut above it.

However, they can move "only the teeth" of the upper jaw by doing CCW rotation. That way, the upper teeth come more forward while the ANS point stays put. You can see this on some of ArnettGunson & Alfaro plans that involve CCW.

I can only find these pics on google. If you look at the red outlines it shows how the upper teeth can advance with CCW while ANS doesn't.
« Last Edit: September 17, 2019, 07:31:08 AM by april »

GJ

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: September 17, 2019, 08:26:54 AM »
The ANS can be shaved down.
Millimeters are miles on the face.

Post bimax

• Private
« Reply #4 on: September 17, 2019, 10:59:03 AM »
The ANS can be shaved down.

Yes, but is best reserved for cases of ‘tethered’ nose and where the ANS is prominent relative to the rest of the maxilla.
« Last Edit: September 17, 2019, 03:37:43 PM by Post bimax »

kavan

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: September 17, 2019, 02:46:38 PM »
Your question is predicated on the implicit assumption that your maxilla would need to be moved 1 cm. I have no reason to believe you're in the capacity to predict that. If you need me to assume you're in the capacity to predict that, then verify you have a ceph in front of you and you know how to analyze one and enough so to further clarify the vector displacements.

What is this 1 cm in reference to; the horizontal vector component of a longer diagonal distance needed to be travelled to get 1cm horizontal displacement and if so, what is the vertical displacement with reference to 'up' or 'down', OR does it refer to the total diagonal distance traveled? Is the orientation of your ANS-PNS already along a 'pure' horizont where you could move only in horizontal direction with no vertical displacement OR is this something where you would have to rotate ANS-PNS in order to move 1cm in a horizontal direction?

Your question itself, is inherently FLAWED and asinine. You think you need to move the MAXILLA 1cm and want to know if the ANS can be reduced by the same distance. Well, if you have to remove a segment of the maxilla the SAME distance it needs to be moved forward, then that's a 0 sum movement.  You think you need to move the maxilla 1cm but you want to avoid moving it one cm, so you need to know if you can move the teeth instead.

You're either a dumb f**k or a clever narcissistic TROLL s**t posting stupid questions to see who assumes you have any valid basis for asking them.
Please. No PMs for private advice. Board issues only.

april

• Private
« Reply #6 on: September 17, 2019, 09:26:51 PM »
I can de-code ;D
I think he thinks 1cm because he lost premolars. They are about 7-8mm wide.

I haven't seen your xrays Studyhacks so IDK your deal at all, but ususally you can't just move maxilla 10mm without aesthetic tradeoffs. Your ANS never changed with the extractions, so to get back to what you once had, you would need the teeth to come forward. And IF you're a candidate for it, CCW can swing the upper teeth forward without affecting ANS.